Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 07:12 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,703,072 times

Advertisements

I am just really curious about this and I have to admit, none of the women I personally know do this (at least the ones I work with anyway... most don't wear makeup in the office and the one who does only occasionally comes in with a makeup bag to do makeup at work). She only does that when she's overslept or something and is running late.

I tried googling it and discovered 40% of women put on their makeup on the way to work (in the car on on public transit). My question is, why? Do these women just happen to be night owls who can't get up early enough to get their morning routine done at home? Maybe they have small kids at home who don't "let them" get everything done? Poor planners? They prefer doing it at the very last minute because it lasts longer? Bad habit?

Just a curiosity thing on my part that I noticed about some woman (of course, it has to be about women because very, very, very few men wear makeup). I just find it odd... I mean, I've never seen a man (or woman really) shaving on the way to work. I am sure it happens because weird stuff happens all the time, but it just doesn't seem as common as the makeup thing. In fact, I would say the makeup thing is so common it's not really "weird" like shaving would be. And I just don't know anyone who does it to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2015, 07:30 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I see women applying makeup on the bus fairly often, and I suppose it's because they have a good 25 minutes with nothing else to do. I actually find it interesting to watch since my wife rarely uses it and I haven't actually seen her doing the process. Most men now don't shave every day any more, in fact I do it only 2-3 times a week. That 5 o'clock shadow look seems to be "in" now, even in offices with business casual attire. It seems like only the suits are shaving every day now.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:21 AM

620 posts, read 638,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
I tried googling it and discovered 40% of women put on their makeup on the way to work (in the car on on public transit).
According to whom? That number seems really high to me.

I've never done it. The only time I've put on my makeup at work was when the power was out at home.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:28 AM

116 posts, read 137,991 times
I don't know how other chicks do it. I'm so scared I'll poke myself in the eye with something in a moving vehicle.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:34 AM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I think 40% is a really high number. I have NEVER worked with any women who do that more than 3x per year. I only do it when I overslept.

The reason women do it is because they don't have time at home. Or the bathroom is occupied. Or they are too much in a moving, hurrying mode to have the patience to hold still and apply makeup carefully.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:46 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,271,896 times
I don't put it on at work. But I have every now and then done it on the way. Usually it's because I'm running late. I don't wear much makeup anyway so it isn't like I'm sitting there glamming myself up in between traffic lights. Usually it's just some lip gloss, a little concealer under the eyes and on the nose, and a small amount of eye liner and I'm good to go. It takes maybe 5 minutes to do this.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:48 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Are they counting a swipe of lip gloss or a pat of powder as "applying makeup"--neither of those would take more than a few seconds, and I'm sure a lot of women have done that on the bus or at a stop light. Full-on eyelash curling or concealer not so much.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:49 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I see women applying makeup on the bus fairly often, and I suppose it's because they have a good 25 minutes with nothing else to do. I actually find it interesting to watch since my wife rarely uses it and I haven't actually seen her doing the process. Most men now don't shave every day any more, in fact I do it only 2-3 times a week. That 5 o'clock shadow look seems to be "in" now, even in offices with business casual attire. It seems like only the suits are shaving every day now.
Yes it is and I for one love it!!

Old 12-11-2015, 10:51 AM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,428 times
Guilty! I do it. Usually just mascara though. But, the stop lights here in NOVA take FOREVER to change. I can put on a whole face before the light changes to green.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:56 AM

55 posts, read 53,990 times
I'm guilty of doing this from time to time, but only when I oversleep or mismanage my time in the mornings. There aren't a lot of other parts of my routine that I can accomplish in the car (besides drinking coffee), so sometimes it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty