Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 03:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times

Advertisements

OK, I am truly a mostly non-judgmental live-and-let-live type person, BUT....

I went to a dance class the other night, we customarily dance barefoot, fine. I also go barefoot a lot myself at home, feet get somewhat dirty but of course I wash them well every day. In the class there was a fairly young woman, attractive but what I would call "hippie-like", she had very thick underarm hair which probably has never been shaved, fine. Anyway, what bothered me is that her feet were the most disgusting looking pair of feet I have ever seen - JET BLACK SOLES! And ugly, ugly toenails with all kinds of dirt crammed under - I almost vomited. Am I wrong in thinking it is disrespectful to others to show up like this? I know there are people that have a fetish about this, but wow - so what do you folks here think? Do you think she should have cleaned up a bit? I honestly have never seen feet that dirty, ever!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 04:00 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
If you are going to be around other people, take a bath.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:07 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Not only disgusting to look at, but I wonder about the germs and passing on foot diseases, plantar's warts?

Speak to the instructor about this and maybe she will pull her aside to say she needs to clean her feet before class.

As for you OP, I think I'd wear some rubber soled socks or something on your feet. That would creep me out too! yuck!

Old 12-18-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Not only disgusting to look at, but I wonder about the germs and passing on foot diseases, plantar's warts?

Speak to the instructor about this and maybe she will pull her aside to say she needs to clean her feet before class.

As for you OP, I think I'd wear some rubber soled socks or something on your feet. That would creep me out too! yuck!
Yes, I actually wear a "half-sandal" that exposes the heel but covers the rest of the foot. Anyway, if she is in any of my future classes, I think I may have to say something to the instructor, this is really too gross.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:49 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
That is completely disgusting.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:07 PM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OK, I am truly a mostly non-judgmental live-and-let-live type person, BUT....

I went to a dance class the other night, we customarily dance barefoot, fine. I also go barefoot a lot myself at home, feet get somewhat dirty but of course I wash them well every day. In the class there was a fairly young woman, attractive but what I would call "hippie-like", she had very thick underarm hair which probably has never been shaved, fine. Anyway, what bothered me is that her feet were the most disgusting looking pair of feet I have ever seen - JET BLACK SOLES! And ugly, ugly toenails with all kinds of dirt crammed under - I almost vomited. Am I wrong in thinking it is disrespectful to others to show up like this? I know there are people that have a fetish about this, but wow - so what do you folks here think? Do you think she should have cleaned up a bit? I honestly have never seen feet that dirty, ever!
Is it possible that maybe she was practicing her dance moves outside before entering the studio? I ask because I know a LOT of dancers (bellydance, new age types, etc.) who sometimes people lump them into being "hippy" types who do go in bare feet a lot. What type of dance class is this? I am assuming some type of bellydance, yoga-esqe type or similar where bare feet is the norm.

I am all for personal hygiene, and would usually turn my nose up to a woman with dirty feet and underarm hair, but Im thinking that maybe she's trying a bit too hard to fit the stereotype of what people think a nubian "child of the earth" type is supposed to be. NONE of the bellydancers/ethnic dancers that I know fall into the "gross" or even "dirty" category. They are all clean, elegant, beautiful and awesome dancers.

If I were you, I'd say something to the girl.

Old 12-19-2015, 12:08 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,925,018 times
I wonder what she does when she needs to use a public bathroom. Barefoot? Yuck. And if she puts shoes on, imagine the inside of her shoes. Both thoughts are disgusting.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:26 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I wonder what she does when she needs to use a public bathroom. Barefoot? Yuck. And if she puts shoes on, imagine the inside of her shoes. Both thoughts are disgusting.
No kidding! I am grossed out when I am in public bathroom stalls and have seen women next to me put their purses on the floor. Use the freaking hook on the door! Gah!
Then they probably go home and put that filthy thing on their kitchen counter without thinking. Gross!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:29 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
No kidding! I am grossed out when I am in public bathroom stalls and have seen women next to me put their purses on the floor. Use the freaking hook on the door! Gah!
Then they probably go home and put that filthy thing on their kitchen counter without thinking. Gross!
Do you know how long it takes for someone to grab a bag that is on the hook for the bathroom stall door?
Anywhere you set a bag down is going to be dirty, even that little shelf at the checkout counter at the market.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Is it possible that maybe she was practicing her dance moves outside before entering the studio? I ask because I know a LOT of dancers (bellydance, new age types, etc.) who sometimes people lump them into being "hippy" types who do go in bare feet a lot. What type of dance class is this? I am assuming some type of bellydance, yoga-esqe type or similar where bare feet is the norm.

I am all for personal hygiene, and would usually turn my nose up to a woman with dirty feet and underarm hair, but Im thinking that maybe she's trying a bit too hard to fit the stereotype of what people think a nubian "child of the earth" type is supposed to be. NONE of the bellydancers/ethnic dancers that I know fall into the "gross" or even "dirty" category. They are all clean, elegant, beautiful and awesome dancers.

If I were you, I'd say something to the girl.
Yes, this was a belly dance class. I have been taking various BD classes for a couple years now, with many lovely women, all (or most) barefoot and I have never seen ANYONE this filthy. As you say, most are clean, elegant, etc. etc. No, this girl isn't trying to fit into any stereotype, she was just dirty. A pretty girl, but it doesn't seem like personal hygiene is a priority with her.

I don't know if she will be in my future classes, this was a special workshop with my regular instructor, so I may not be seeing her much, if at all, but if I do, I may have to speak up. I have no idea how others feel about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty