U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 04:31 PM

19,039 posts, read 12,614,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
No matter what you wear, it makes a statement. Even if you aren't "trying" to.
Yes. Even if you feel strongly that you are entitled to wear whatever old thing is comfortable, and why would anyone else care, you are making a statement.

The way we dress is a way we present ourselves to the world.

Appearances, as well as our manner of speaking and other personal attributes, do lead to impulse generalizations by others. And I don't think that going to lunch in grungies after doing yard work is a terrible thing either! But overall, appearance does matter, at least a little.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 06:29 PM

8,663 posts, read 4,823,029 times
I pretty much stick to "modern classics" like Banana Republic or Gap. Ann Taylor for work. I like fun colors, cute jeans, girly cargos, pea coats, flip flops or Birk clogs. Nothing flashy or trendy.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:21 PM

2,107 posts, read 1,996,623 times
Effortlessly manly

Casual and nicely put together with fitted clothing and boots. Nothing over the top by any means just tweaked forward to show I care.

However, I've taken some by surprise on the formal side of things. Tailored suits, bespoke shoes, an eye for perfect fit, perfect cut, perfect style. I love when you've known a woman for awhile and you're just so use to seeing her everyday self, then something formal comes up and she shows up like holy WOW! Who knew? For me, I love making that same impression.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:51 PM

7,328 posts, read 3,776,443 times
My style is Basic Black.

Everyday.

Black pants jeans and black T's. (blue jeans can be substituted).

I can upscale or down scale this look by wearing newer black jeans for business. Faded for hanging out.

Summer the black T's get replaced with white dress shirts. Starched and pressed for business and fluff dried for causal.

Shoes are based upon degree of formality required. Steve Madden/Cole Hahn to Streetcars and Chucks (black leather).

But if I must, Suits, in blues, Kakis, sport coats....

Old 12-28-2015, 03:34 PM

34,826 posts, read 42,971,317 times
I like classic, comfortable basics with a twist of architectural or bohemian. I will typically wear black, tan and white, with a colorful cardigan or chunky jewelry or colorful jacket
I like Eileen Fisher pieces (on sale only)
Slim pants or jeans, Bermuda shorts
Eddie Bauer slim cords with pullover sweaters
Colorful linen shirts
ballet flats, loafers or sandals
I buy skirts but for some reason never wear them
I'm a sucker for any kind of jacket that's asymmetrical or embroidered or otherwise distinctive.

Old 12-28-2015, 03:35 PM

18,146 posts, read 9,952,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerciChoi View Post
So how would you describe your style?
What is your typical outfit like?
Any favorite brands or stores?
Intentionally personal. Some might say eccentric, but I'm old enough to dress hipster and claim I just never changed since my youth.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:03 AM

2 posts, read 1,986 times
thanks for sharing

Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 PM

2,660 posts, read 2,134,232 times
80's Romantic style meets Americana. It's hard to find pieces that hit the sweet spot.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:24 PM

2,601 posts, read 2,994,538 times
Mostly I like what doesn't make me look fat.

Old 01-08-2016, 08:15 PM

763 posts, read 1,075,823 times
My style is... comfortable and lazy. Jeans and tshirts or the same freaking zip up hoodie that I will seriously wear every day for a year (I wash it, of course). I've tried to have more variety if I'm going to do that though, because I'd be wearing the same hoodie in pictures taken over the course of a year. ha.

Otherwise, I do have some style... I just don't put it on for the World to see much. I love boots, with sweaters and scarves in the winter. And good fitting blouses with jeans and flats in the summers.

The problem though, is, my body. I have small boobs and lots of tops are not flattering if your chest is nearly flat. and also my feet, they swell easily for my skinny, young body and don't look/fit well in open toed shoes of any kind (I blame genetics, b/c I certainly didn't have a say in these feet). Cause otherwise, I would love to be able to wear open toed heals a lot more than I do (which is never), or open toed stylish sandals, or 50% of the top options in department stores all meant for women with boobs.

So, I aim for comfort and laziness because I don't care anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or