Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 01:23 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think you can get by with one simple leather bag in a neutral. I had one black bag I used for all occasions for most of my 20s. I switched every few years when one wore out. I eventually added more colors and styles and started switching more, but I am trying to dial back into the most practical ones. Now I really like burgundy/oxblood as a perfect neutral. Cognac is a great neutral too!

If you have one everyday bag in a neutral that fits all your stuff and 1 evening bag you'll have all you need to start the path to adulthood.

My mom only had/has one purse for daily wear and one party purse. She had backups for when that one died but she never switched.
I guess purses are my weakness

I have seven black, three brown, two straw, one white, one red, one purple, one multicolor stripes, and then an assortment of smaller beaded, sparkly, furry, or unusual ones for evening. And that's after I thinned the collection because my husband was complaining that I was using more than my share of the closet. I hid a few in my scarf drawer so it wouldn't look like I have so many.

It bugs me to wear black shoes and carry a brown bag, or vice versa. And sometimes I need a particular style to go with my outfit or shoes.

I use two of the black bags, one brown, and the red one on a regular basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 01:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Good rule of thumb for dressing like a grown woman:

My underwear--bra straps, thongs--are only for me to see and for an invitation-only partner to see. Having the Y of my thong show above my jeans, or my bra straps, not matter how lovely the color, hanging out from under a tank, is not "adult" to me.
When I see other women my age (mid-40s) doing those things, I just find it sloppy and sad. I don't care if they are 105lbs and in fantastic shape, it still looks pitiful. Grow up.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:36 PM

194 posts, read 246,383 times
I've actually been thinking about this lately for when I go to college out of state. At the one I used to go to, it was just people looking awful in sweatpants, pajamas, no makeup (or minimal makeup). Whenever I dressed nice people would be like "Why are you so dressed up??"

I really want to learn how to dress like an adult at school without being over-dressed or under-dressed. Before, I would just wear jeans and a hoodie to avoid standing out.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:42 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,191,696 times
Quote:
I think you can get by with one simple leather bag in a neutral. I had one black bag I used for all occasions for most of my 20s. I switched every few years when one wore out. I eventually added more colors and styles and started switching more, but I am trying to dial back into the most practical ones. Now I really like burgundy/oxblood as a perfect neutral. Cognac is a great neutral too!

If you have one everyday bag in a neutral that fits all your stuff and 1 evening bag you'll have all you need to start the path to adulthood.

My mom only had/has one purse for daily wear and one party purse. She had backups for when that one died but she never switched.

I have this one in blackband it has been durable, classic and fits with almost all occasions. Goes on sale often too. http://www.michaelkors.com/selma-saf...o=9&color=0410
My mother and grandmother talked about not caring for the MK stuff. But my cousin and father's side of the family LOVE it.

But I like it. My cousin got a nice pink purse for Xmas. I think it was the one I saw on amazon. It was very cute. But not for $200.00. I don't have that much for just a purse.

I have a small Dooney & Bourke purse. But when I say small, I mean it. It's basically a hand/clutch bag.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...0_original.jpg
And I can't use that, except to carry my phone at best. It can hold my Ipod, but only by itself.

So I don't carry it - anymore. But I keep it as it's cute, and my grandmother bought it for me. But I need a bigger purse. This was fine when I was in school. Now I have more to carry.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:58 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaChocolate View Post
My mother and grandmother talked about not caring for the MK stuff. But my cousin and father's side of the family LOVE it.

But I like it. My cousin got a nice pink purse for Xmas. I think it was the one I saw on amazon. It was very cute. But not for $200.00. I don't have that much for just a purse.

I have a small Dooney & Bourke purse. But when I say small, I mean it. It's basically a hand/clutch bag.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...0_original.jpg
And I can't use that, except to carry my phone at best. It can hold my Ipod, but only by itself.

So I don't carry it - anymore. But I keep it as it's cute, and my grandmother bought it for me. But I need a bigger purse. This was fine when I was in school. Now I have more to carry.
MK purses are popular right now but that will not last forever. Purses that are well made and a classic style can last for a very long time. I have purses that I've owned for more than a decade. If you're going to spend a lot on a purse, it should be one that won't go out of style in a few years.

Look at thrift stores for purses. Only buy leather ones, and make sure the inside is clean and doesn't smell odd before you buy it.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:22 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
My mother always told me if a fashion was in style the first time it was popular, you shouldn't wear it if the style comes around again even if you still have the same figure. I think she was referring to mini-skirts being in fashion again at the time.

If someone 19 wears 'it', someone over 30 and certainly over 40 shouldn't. Madonna comes to mind as an adult NOT dressing like an adult. Her wardrobe is cringeworthy.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:33 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I don't go into an office. My daily wear is sneakers, fitted t-shirts and jeans. That's probably what I'll wear until the day I die. "Adult" clothes are for work and special occasions. I dress to please me otherwise, and what pleases me is comfort, freedom of movement and efficiency. Sometimes I put on a nice sweater or a pair of heeled boots. And I've always got some interesting jewelry.

But on any given day, I'm in a t-shirt and jeans and it wouldn't occur to me to wear anything else.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:45 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I don't want to do anything too much "like an adult." Because when I decide I need to do whatever like an adult, I'm taking life too seriously, and being an adult is hard enough as it is without having the attitude that I should always think/behave/look like one (whatever that means).

Old 12-29-2015, 09:31 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Op it's difficult to know where to start when trying to start dressing like a grown up. First, figure out your color palette. This doesn't mean all your clothes will be this color but rather what your basic, quality pieces will revolve around. A common one is black white and red, mine is black, navy, and off white. You need to know this so whe you start adding quality pieces, you can get them in a way that you can wear them with many other parts of your wardrobe.

Now the grown up items I think all adult women need:
1. Black pants that are well fitted without being skin tight, in a quality fabric.
2. A high quality white button down
3. Silk jewel tone blouse.
4. Black blazer, again fitted (this usually means tailored) and a good fabric
5. Black leather belt
6 black purse and one in a color in your pallets, similar to the jewel tone blouse.
7. Watch
8. Pea or trench coat

Add trendy pieces to dress down these staples to your appropriate age. And no logos!!

Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Was talking to my sister the other day. She was cleaning out her closet and found some items that didn't fit and weren't flattering. She wondered if I noticed, and told me she wants brutal honest on her fashion choices, as she is "an adult" and you can't get away with certain things anymore.

We started talking about the definition of "dressing like an adult." We came to the following conclusions:

1. Proper fitting clothes that flatter your current size
2. Looking put together
3. Have quality looking pieces that seem "expensive" but really this means looks nice and well kept
4. Dressing appropriately for the occasion

Mine also include
1. Have a recognizable style that sends the message you want to send
2. Have signature pieces or trademarks
3. Invest where it makes sense

What would you define as "dressing like an adult?"
Boring...padantic...plain...blah...

I don't wanna grow up, I wanna be a toy's r us kid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty