Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times

Advertisements

I've seen it lately...one of my favorite clothing retailers, right before Christmas, has a display in one of their shops with leggings with a Nordic ski sweater-style print with a plaid button-up on top.

I just can't get behind it. It would bother me all day. If it were something subtle, like a muted pinstripe shirt and argyle socks, where neither pattern/color combo was loud, and they were pretty separated, I could probably deal. But two fairly loud, busy patterns right on top of one another is visually grating, to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 03:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
For a couple of seasons mixing patterns has been "in." I have been leery of this trend. The closest I have gotten is leopard print shoes with jeans and a graphic sweater in camel. And a patterned blouse with a big dose of camel and black. Leopard shoes are basically neutrals. But wearing patterns close together? Sounds scary.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a great graphic black and ivory scarf. I was on the fence about, it was a nice print and very nice fabric. But it wasn't a solid color and I wear patterns often. Over the weekend I walked past the store it was on sale. I decided to get it, and would try to make it work.

I wore it over the weekend with a solid dress. Easy peasy.

Today I went out of my box, I was wearing a grey leopard print dress and added the scarf. The big graphic pattern in a similar color pallete didn't clash at all.

I might try it with a few more patterned outfits. It is a very cozy scarf.

Have you jumped on the pattern mixing bandwagon?
I've been doing this for years with scarves. Other than that, I suppose I do it with socks in a minor way. But I steer clear of patterned bags, because I don't think they will look good with other patterned things. I wouldn't mind having a pair of patterned shoes though.

Today I am wearing a scarf with modern multicolored print, and argyle socks that show above my booties. I feel like I am put together OK for my casual lifestyle.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:38 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I can mix patterns in home decor without a problem, but have a harder time mixing patterns with clothes.
This.

I prefer solid bottoms and a pattern on top - one pattern. I love scarves so I often use a scarf as the pattern and then do a solid top and bottom of two different colors from the scarf. Like the OP, I have several pairs of shoes that have some sort of pattern to them, and I'll wear them with a scarf of a different pattern, but they are at opposite ends of my tall body so it doesn't seem like too much!

Like I said, I'm tall, so I can pull off "statement jewelry" in a pretty big way, and I do that. Believe me, between a scarf, elaborate earrings, and patterned or unique shoes or boots, there doesn't need to be another pattern thrown in the mix - LOL.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:34 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
I used to be worried about mixing patterns, no longer. Now I make sure colors don't clash and somehow the patterns tend to look OK if the colors compliment each other.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
I mixed successfully yesterday! A black dress with small white polka dots. And a graphic black and white scarf. The scarf is such a subtle pattern it has been very versatile!

Old 02-01-2016, 09:58 AM

466 posts, read 581,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I mixed successfully yesterday! A black dress with small white polka dots. And a graphic black and white scarf. The scarf is such a subtle pattern it has been very versatile!
Great - the first time is always the most difficult, after that it becomes 2nd nature. have fun, I certainly do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty