U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 02:13 PM

12,913 posts, read 19,787,452 times

Advertisements

I worked in the jewelry industry for many years. I took the GIA diamond grading course. I have a very nice engagement ring that I haven't worn in years. I lost my first wedding band, and my husband replaced it. I don't wear the replacement.

What my years of experience got me was a metal allergy that keeps me from wearing much of any jewelry.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:07 PM

18,847 posts, read 12,465,112 times
If I owned a high value diamond, I'd leave it home when I traveled, too. That's what safe deposit boxes are for.

My old engagement and wedding band wore out about 15 years ago, even after having work done on them from time to time. For my 25th, we had my diamonds reset into a gold band. Since I handled books all day long, I had the diamond placed in extra prongs in the setting, so it could not jar loose. The diamond sits high off the ring. That's what I wear whenever we go out. I don't wear my rings (I have three that I wear most of the time) around the house though.

I like having just the one gold ring with the original diamonds set in it. My old set was done in white gold, and I much prefer the yellow gold.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM

13,349 posts, read 7,121,412 times
When I was married I had them welded together - they were designed to be worn as a set - would have been lopsided otherwise. Back then most diamonds were pretty small unless you truly had a lot of money - the "large diamond" was just over a third of a carat with two smaller diamonds and two smaller rubies. I doubt anyone looked twice at it!

I never thought of my wedding set as "jewelry" that was optional to wear. It never occurred to me to think of them as fancy - I was married so I always had them on. It would wear me out to have another kind of jewelry to "match" up with an outfit - earrings, necklaces, bracelets....too much!

Old 01-07-2016, 06:49 PM

3,270 posts, read 2,476,271 times
I wear mine most of the time. Except when baking or making meatloaf or meatballs. Take them off at night when I sleep, because they feel tighter in the morning and the diamond tends to snag on the sheets.

Amusing story, to me at least. When my husband and I were first engaged, back in the 70s, it was a big deal for me to meet the family, the "aunts". Went to his parents' house for a nice Italian dinner to meet the aunts, and announce the engagement.
One old aunt, Josie I believe, took my hand, looked at my ring and said "Oh, it's so cute! That's the style nowadays, they like them small!!" Lol, we still laugh about this to this day....

But, yeah, it is small, and I still wear the same ring with the same wedding band. I've added a couple of tiny diamonds on either side, but the whole thing is under 2 carats. And I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 PM

15,743 posts, read 13,167,427 times
A tradition that has zero meaning for me and mine. We have wedding rings, I think they are in a box upstairs. I also have his great grandmother's engagement ring. It isn't a solitary diamond, it is a sapphire and the setting is very old; its pretty enough but I don't wear rings so I am saving it for my daughter. My own grandmother's engagement ring was an 11 ct aquamarine and it was much too big to wear. So I had it set as a pendant and that I do wear every day.

Old 01-07-2016, 07:41 PM

4,783 posts, read 4,663,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If your rings "slide" off...get them properly sized! No more problems!
Like I said, depends on the day. Right now, if I try to tug on them, they are difficult to get around my knuckle. Other times it will practically slide off. Little bits of swelling/fluid retention that come and go through the day, is all. I'd still prefer to not wear it at the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Stupid question - do engagement rings and wedding bands have to be picked together so they match? Doesn't it look weird to have two rings on one finger with different design?

Why not wear one on the left hand and one one the right?

Do any of you have an engagement ring that they use as a wedding band or do people usually always have both?

How about men, they don't wear engagement rings, or am I wrong?
(1) They don't have to be. I've seen people wear two different designs. I don't like it, but if they do, that's all that matters.

(2) I don't really wear jewelry so I like it all in one spot. But I would say I have only seen someone do that once or twice.

(3) I've seen people just have wedding bands, no engagement ring. I'm sure there are people out there doing the opposite.

(4) Very rarely. It's usually one of those stories someone will post online like, "Why I Wear an Engagement Ring as a Guy!" Summation: I have see people do anything and everything and I think it's good that people do whatever they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Amusing story, to me at least. When my husband and I were first engaged, back in the 70s, it was a big deal for me to meet the family, the "aunts". Went to his parents' house for a nice Italian dinner to meet the aunts, and announce the engagement.
One old aunt, Josie I believe, took my hand, looked at my ring and said "Oh, it's so cute! That's the style nowadays, they like them small!!" Lol, we still laugh about this to this day....
My husband's family (also Italian) would say something like that. But he had already told them that I don't care for jewelry and that I would kill him if he spent a lot of money on a ring. Mine is just one simple diamond on a band---he did a very good job picking it out himself. He told me the process was annoying though, because he went to multiple jewelers, would say, "I want something PLAIN." And then they would proceed to show him the gaudiest things possible.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:21 AM

13,139 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a guy I don't wear any rings. Ice seen too many people get major traumatic damage from rings on fingers. I switched to a ceramic wedding band. I got badly shocked wearing my gold band. I don't wear a ring at work
My ex-husband was the same way. He didn't wear his wedding ring at work at all, as he worked offshore, and even while in the office did a lot of jobs with heavy equipment and machining. I completely agreed with that decision. I didn't want him cutting his finger off inadvertently. Unfortunately, that was one of the few things we agreed on, thus he is now my ex

As for myself and my new marriage, my rings are soldered together. I can't stand my rings flipping around, so I got them soldered with each marriage. I wear my rings most of the time except when I sleep because the solitaire is a very high cathedral set white sapphire so sleeping with it would lead to possible injury.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
I could not get the band on my finger in church Never got around to an engagement ring.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:20 AM

3,025 posts, read 3,559,524 times
I wear mine together. My engagement ring is a 1/2 ct. so I wouldn't really think twice of wearing it abroad. It was, however, really hard to find a band to go with it.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:25 AM

8,652 posts, read 4,783,711 times
After having babies my knuckles got bigger for some odd reason, so my rings are semi-permanently lodged in place, lol. But they're very small, so they don't get in the way or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or