Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:50 PM

981 posts, read 898,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Interesting, what countries abroad do you feel unsafe to wear your ring in? I've never felt like that traveling.

I always wear them together and only take them off for certain tasks/activities.
i left all jewelry at home when i went to johannesburg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2016, 01:00 PM

82 posts, read 83,939 times
I usually wear my band all the time, removing it for dirty jobs or showering. I wear the engagement ring with the wedding band when going out for special occasions. The engagement ring is uncomfortable because the stone keeps getting caught on things and forget about wearing it under a pair of thick, winter gloves!

Old 01-08-2016, 01:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Stupid question - do engagement rings and wedding bands have to be picked together so they match?
Nope. My engagement ring and my wedding ring were not sold as a set, didn't even come from the same place (Husband bought engagement ring when we were living in one region of the country, and we bought our wedding bands after traveling to live at a Navy base far from where we are from.
Quote:
Doesn't it look weird to have two rings on one finger with different design?
Maybe, if you pick ones with clashing designs. My wedding band is a plain white gold band, completely neutral. It's actually identical to my husband's outside of size. It matches anything, and looks completely normal with my engagement ring, which is one diamond flanked by two slightly smaller diamonds, and four channel-set chips to the side of the initial three. They are both white gold.

I don't like the nested/soldered/jacketed sets, never have. Just not my taste.

Quote:
Why not wear one on the left hand and one one the right?
I like them together.

Quote:
Do any of you have an engagement ring that they use as a wedding band or do people usually always have both?
We considered using an Irish claddagh, which traditionally functions as both, but my husband didn't find any designs that looked right in a high-enough grade ring.

Quote:
How about men, they don't wear engagement rings, or am I wrong?
I don't know of anybody where it's the norm, no. Because of my husband's work, a wedding band is th only jewelry he's even allowed to wear on the job (and many in his line of work opt not to).

Old 01-08-2016, 02:24 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
As a guy I don't wear any rings. Ice seen too many people get major traumatic damage from rings on fingers. I switched to a ceramic wedding band. I got badly shocked wearing my gold band. I don't wear a ring at work

Great idea! I didn't even know such a ring existed! My dh has out-grown his ring, and it can't be re-sized due to the design. He also doesn't like to wear gold, either, because he does electrical work. 'm going to search for a ceramic ring for him

Old 01-08-2016, 06:58 PM

777 posts, read 1,336,207 times
I wear my wedding band only to work. I were neither when I'm at home. And I wear both when I'm otherwise at an event/in public for a reason not job related. I find the engagement ring snags on stuff too much at my job, so I just don't see the point in wearing it there.

Now MY question is, how is it I can wear a wedding band on my ring finger 365 days a year, and my coworkers don't realize I'm married? I thought the point of it in the first place was so people realized you were "off the market," yet, most women I work with don't notice. (I don't know where the men stand/ if they notice, b/c I don't really socialize with them outside of work-related reasons). So, is this something only noticed if a person is interested in you? Something only men notice? Or does it mean some people just have really horrible observation skills? Or maybe it's because of how the newer generation likes to wear rings on that finger for no reason at all, and everyone is assuming that without a giant diamond accompanying it, it's moot?

Old 01-09-2016, 11:08 AM

82 posts, read 83,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
Now MY question is, how is it I can wear a wedding band on my ring finger 365 days a year, and my coworkers don't realize I'm married? I thought the point of it in the first place was so people realized you were "off the market," yet, most women I work with don't notice. (I don't know where the men stand/ if they notice, b/c I don't really socialize with them outside of work-related reasons). So, is this something only noticed if a person is interested in you? Something only men notice? Or does it mean some people just have really horrible observation skills? Or maybe it's because of how the newer generation likes to wear rings on that finger for no reason at all, and everyone is assuming that without a giant diamond accompanying it, it's moot?
Good point there! I have noticed the same thing. I will enter a place with my husband, (like say an insurance office,) and I will be sporting both my engagement ring and wedding band, and people will ask if I am married! I remember when I first got engaged, and felt excited to be wearing an engagement ring for the first time, but men still treated me like I was single and in the market, and women would not notice either. Go figure!

Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I wear them both when I go out, and stack the silver band we used for the wedding because my rings weren't in.

I do not wear them around the house because they bug me when I'm doing chores or working on projects.

Mine are inexpensive, I picked them out, against my husband's wishes. He still asks if I want a bigger diamond every once in a while and my answer is still "nope."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-09-2016, 11:48 AM

1,038 posts, read 902,199 times
I never wore any of it

the rings made me allergic

18 ct gold and they flared my skin up

I think it was the Universe trying to Tell Me Something...

Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Great idea! I didn't even know such a ring existed! My dh has out-grown his ring, and it can't be re-sized due to the design. He also doesn't like to wear gold, either, because he does electrical work. 'm going to search for a ceramic ring for him
Everything can be resized. But it's not cheap or quick. They have to cast it and remake the ring bigger, not just add a chunk. Needs a real goldsmith.

When my wedding ring was stolen, the jeweler made my ring using my husband's much larger ring...

Old 01-10-2016, 09:58 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,282,508 times
I usually only wear the wedding band. It's simple and doesn't get in the way. I wear the engagement ring with the 10year anniversary diamond band when we go out to eat or someplace nicer. I'm not much of a jewelry person, but my husband insisted on buying me some nicer things. I mainly save them for going out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty