Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:02 AM

634 posts, read 896,684 times

Advertisements

I did numerous searches on this topic with a variety of key words and found nothing.

For my upcoming reloc I decided I was in need of an organizer for all my travel related accessories because I soon realized I wouldn't be able to walk with overstuffed pockets and some items could get lost or damaged in a suitcase: hence, the man bag. A couple of Google searches landed me some great ideas and I've started to entertain the idea of carrying one all the time.

At some point in history, men and women alike carried a coin purse, when did society decide men needed pockets instead? On any given day, here is what I typically have on me:

-loose change
-wallet
-phone
-pill container (for allergies, etc.)
-headphones
-keys (very damaging to pockets)
-phone charger
-eye drops
-pen
-scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
-breath mints
-and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

I'm also increasingly carrying around my Ipad mini.

Keep in mind our problems multiply during warmer weather when wearing shorts. Cargo shorts exist I know, but even those look ridiculous when loaded up and sag due to the weight; they're also not appropriate for every occasion.

To me it seems like a no brainer and I am beginning to like the idea of having a small bag to haul everything when a gym bag or backpack would be out of place.

So I'm curious if perceptions have evolved with the times. Does a man with a purse come off as weird, gay, or metro? If you're a guy, would you carry one if you had need for it? If you're a woman, would you date a guy with one?

Edit to add: I live in the city and don't usually own a vehicle, so my needs are different than they would be if I had a car.

Last edited by Garethe; 10-05-2013 at 04:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 04:33 AM

7 posts, read 10,445 times
I have been thinking the same mate! At the present I use a medium backpack! But I feel this is too big! I am leaning towards one of those packs like a half bandolier but I am not settled yet!-Shuggie!

Old 10-05-2013, 04:41 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post
I did numerous searches on this topic with a variety of key words and found nothing.

For my upcoming reloc I decided I was in need of an organizer for all my travel related accessories because I soon realized I wouldn't be able to walk with overstuffed pockets and some items could get lost or damaged in a suitcase: hence, the man bag. A couple of Google searches landed me some great ideas and I've started to entertain the idea of carrying one all the time.

At some point in history, men and women alike carried a coin purse, when did society decide men needed pockets instead? On any given day, here is what I typically have on me:

-loose change
-wallet
-phone
-pill container (for allergies, etc.)
-headphones
-keys (very damaging to pockets)
-phone charger
-eye drops
-pen
-scraps of paper containing various notes/reminders
-breath mints
-and a couple other things depending on event/time of year like an inhaler during allergy season or coupons needed for the days shopping

I'm also increasingly carrying around my Ipad mini.

Keep in mind our problems multiply during warmer weather when wearing shorts. Cargo shorts exist I know, but even those look ridiculous when loaded up and sag due to the weight; they're also not appropriate for every occasion.

To me it seems like a no brainer and I am beginning to like the idea of having a small bag to haul everything when a gym bag or backpack would be out of place.

So I'm curious if perceptions have evolved with the times. Does a man with a purse come off as weird, gay, or metro? If you're a guy, would you carry one if you had need for it? If you're a woman, would you date a guy with one?

Edit to add: I live in the city and don't usually own a vehicle, so my needs are different than they would be if I had a car.

Why do you care what others think about how you choose to live your life and organize it?
What YOU think is the only thing that matters and honestly, if someone doesn't want to be your friend or date you because of your choice to organize do you really think they would be a good friend or a good date?

Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,104 times
My husband carries one in China because the biggest amount of their money is only 10 euros so you need to carry more 100 RMBs that's why he needs to have a bag. Also to carry documents like passports etc.

In China, it seems like a trend for men to wear bags.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:08 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
There have been male handbags on the market for at least 50 years.
Type male handbag into Bing or Google.

Old 10-05-2013, 08:09 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,418,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethe View Post

I think it's a great idea! I keep all kinds of stuff in my purse and I ALWAYS carry it with me...heck, I can't even fit my wallet in a small purse. I've often wondered where men keep their "stuff" (in their girlfriend's/wife's purse?). A no brainer for me too.

Old 10-05-2013, 01:12 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,389 times
Consider getting 1 or more products from Saddleback.

They're expensiveness, quality made leather goods, with a rugged, masculine, traditional American-Western, and Indiana Jones-ish look to them.

You can go to the company's website and browse the various reviews of their bags put up on youtube by men of different backgrounds.

Stump(less)Review - Saddleback Leather Medium Travel Case - YouTube
Saddleback Leather Medium Gadget Bag Review. - YouTube

Old 10-05-2013, 02:07 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,424 times
I keep one of these around:

Maxpedition Rollypoly Extreme Folding Backpack

Folds up to the size of 2 fists when I don't need it.

Durable and easy to carry when I do.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:26 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
Good grief....

Men in Europe have always carried -- dare I say -- handbags.
Of course, they are not styled and designed like women's bags -- and they are NOT purses.
Most I'd say have long shoulder straps. They can SORT OF look like the shoulder bags train conductors carry.....long shoulder strap, small to medium in size, usually in a a dark leather.

I've lived in Europe, and when I came back to the states I wondered where/how do men carry all their stuff?

In Europe men carry bags -- because -- just like apparently U.S. men care about "how it'd look" if they carried a bag....men in Europe wouldn't be caught dead with bulging pockets full of crap -- ruining the line of how they look in their pants. And it does do that. Have you seen guys whose pockets bulge out? OK there's a joke in there somewhere. But I'm serious.

Men in the States cary 'backpacks' or a 'briefcase' -- Gd forbid you even HINT that it's the same purpose as a woman's handbag -- carrying all the crap we have to carry or WANT to have with us on a daily basis. And -- as the OP points out...we're all carrying more and more stuff.

OP get yourself a male handbag -- and be done with it.

Old 10-05-2013, 02:29 PM

809 posts, read 1,272,847 times
I used to carry a murse around, but these days I deposit everything in my girlfriend's handbag. End of story
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty