Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,313,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I have been telling my dh how much of a minimalist I am when it comes to hair (cutting/styling/coloring), makeup, and nails...about how much do the rest of you budget for those things?

Practically nothing. I usually only cut my hair once every 1-2 years. I really love my hair and it is very healthy so I do not color it---never have. (I probably will in the distant future when I start going gray.)

Nothing for nails. Nothing for make-up. I might buy nail polish occasionally and do it myself. The last time I paid to have my nails done was for my wedding and that was just a simple manicure years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:16 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,190,580 times
Maybe $50-100 per year, tops. I trim my own hair, do my own nails, and really don't wear much make-up. If we're going somewhere special, like a wedding for example, I do get my hair done professionally because I'm inept with anything more complicated than a ponytail.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:18 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,273,696 times
Per year: About $400 on haircuts, $100 on skin care, $100 on shampoo/conditioner, zero on nail care (I do nothing other than file my nails), and maybe $50 on make-up, which I wear only for special occasions.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:28 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,443,729 times
I'm not a "girly girl" at all. Right now, I have adult acne so I don't want any makeup on my face. (I can't even remember the last time I wore makeup! I do occasionally wear nail polish. Actually, one of my new years resolutions is to be more "girly" and wear more nail polish, do my hair more, etc

I probably spend in 1 year what other girls spend in one month!

It's just too much hassle. I think sometimes I'm TOO low-maintenance.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,294,391 times
I have been using the same hairstylist for years, and she keeps going up. It is $120 about every 6 weeks. Makeup I don't really know because I don't keep up with it. I use Bare Minerals, though,so it is not exactly cheap. I don't like manicures and pedicures, so I do those myself. I don't know how much I spend. I don't wear a lot of makeup, so maybe 150-200 every 6 weeks counting the hairdresser.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,872,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I have been using the same hairstylist for years, and she keeps going up. It is $120 about every 6 weeks. Makeup I don't really know because I don't keep up with it. I use Bare Minerals, though,so it is not exactly cheap. I don't like manicures and pedicures, so I do those myself. I don't know how much I spend. I don't wear a lot of makeup, so maybe 150-200 every 6 weeks counting the hairdresser.
I understand that stylists need to charge for their services, but most of them seem to be extremely expensive now. The last one I went to who works in a shop charged me $55 for a haircut by itself! My hair is very long, but my style is simple since it's one length and I just wanted it shaped and trimmed. It took her about 20 minutes and now the shampoo isn't even included. The next time I went I got a color. It was $150, so I only got that once because I couldn't afford it.

The lady I go to now works out of her home. She only charges me $55 for a color with a cut included, so I can afford it more often. She is a licensed professional who used to work at a shop and because she works out of her home, she charges much less. She does a great job, and her clients can actually afford her services, so I can go more often.

As for makeup, I don't wear any at all, so I spend $0 on that.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,360,221 times
I'll just say I'm expensive to maintain.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:58 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I understand that stylists need to charge for their services, but most of them seem to be extremely expensive now. The last one I went to who works in a shop charged me $55 for a haircut by itself! My hair is very long, but my style is simple since it's one length and I just wanted it shaped and trimmed. It took her about 20 minutes and now the shampoo isn't even included. The next time I went I got a color. It was $150, so I only got that once because I couldn't afford it.

The lady I go to now works out of her home. She only charges me $55 for a color with a cut included, so I can afford it more often. She is a licensed professional who used to work at a shop and because she works out of her home, she charges much less. She does a great job, and her clients can actually afford her services, so I can go more often.

As for makeup, I don't wear any at all, so I spend $0 on that.
The price hike is because at most salons (independent owners not super cuts etc...) the stylists rent their chair so they have to cover that cost. Typically if the stylists don't rent a chair I've found that those salons have stylists with different levels of experience and the price is based on junior stylist, senior stylist, master stylist etc...

Old 01-17-2016, 12:08 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,538,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbythecat View Post
I have been telling my dh how much of a minimalist I am when it comes to hair (cutting/styling/coloring), makeup, and nails...about how much do the rest of you budget for those things?
Nails have never been a thing that I feel the need to get done professionally aside from a pedicure here and there. I used to spend a lot of money on my hair, but I decided to stop going to hair salons two years ago and I think that has been a much better choice. Regarding makeup, I don't wear a ton so what I do have lasts quite a while and doesn't cost me much.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:03 PM

19,235 posts, read 15,102,438 times
Hair: My hair is long and straight and I just trim it once in a while myself. Luckily the cheaper shampoos seem to work better on it, although I've just discovered Yes to Carrots shampoo, which I've fallen in love with (scent and texture, and supposedly more natural ingredients). I use conditioner sometimes.

Nails: I've never had a pro mani or pedi before. I do have nail polish in lots of different colors, but they last a long time. I don't wear it all the time.

Makeup: I don't usually wear makeup around the house, but I do when I go out. If I use foundation, it's Bare Minerals, which isn't cheap, but it lasts me forever. I buy a lot of drugstore/grocery store items, but also higher-end ones sometimes. Like especially eyeliner, I pay more for that because there definitely seems to be a difference to me. Again, lasts forever, though.

I usually only buy more cosmetics when I'm running out of something; otherwise, I'm not always shopping and buying new stuff all the time. If I see something I want to try, while shopping for something specifically, I'll buy it sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty