Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 12:05 PM

41,781 posts, read 74,806,151 times

Advertisements

In suburban Philadelphia I can get away with wearing my LL Bean unlined fleece parka or a London Fog raincoat with a zip-out lining most days. For colder days -- like today! -- I have a long wool double breasted coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 12:45 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,886,215 times
Even though it doesn't get terribly cold here, we still get the occasional day in the 20s and plenty of days in the 30s. But I'm a very hot natured person and don't like coats. I have a light parka rated to 32 degrees that suits me when it's very cold out. I also have a heavier parka rated to 0 degrees if there's a lot of chill or a rain. But most of the time, I just wear a hoodie.

I don't know if others are like me, but I can't stand feeling the bulk of my coat when I'm driving, so unless it's extremely cold, I take my coat off as soon as I get in the car. I was that way even when I lived in the colder climes of AK and MT, so I always sat in my car coatless and freezing until it warmed up just so I didn't feel like the Michelin man behind the wheel.

Old 01-19-2016, 01:00 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,988,140 times
I wear my dads long wool black coat and it is lined and that thing is awesome warm and everytime I wear it I'm reminded of my dad . He passed 4 yrs ago from cancer and that coat will always be with me wherever I go .when the temp drops below 45 that long wool coat comes out of the closet and goes on me .

Old 01-19-2016, 01:53 PM

780 posts, read 675,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Columbia 2in1.
They zip into each other.
I have the same thing and it's my go-to jacket. It's so warm and amazing quality. I wear it every winter for the past 14 winters and it still looks like I just bought it a year ago. No rip. No messed up zipper. No missing button. It's amazing. I'm not even the type who takes care of clothes dearly. I normally throw this jacket around when I get home, but it's still in great shape.

When I have a sweater underneath this jacket, I am sweating.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 PM

10,105 posts, read 19,327,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I wear my dads long wool black coat and it is lined and that thing is awesome warm and everytime I wear it I'm reminded of my dad . He passed 4 yrs ago from cancer and that coat will always be with me wherever I go .when the temp drops below 45 that long wool coat comes out of the closet and goes on me .

Never get rid of that coat---that's Daddy's love keeping you warm

Old 01-19-2016, 02:17 PM

My cold weather coat----my London Fog 3/4 length, down-filled parka, with faux fur lined hood. Original price $275, got it on after Christmas clearance for $69!

Old 01-19-2016, 02:19 PM

6,448 posts, read 7,744,967 times
Here in Boston I just do some jumping jacks and get the blood pumpin', nothing like a little activity to warm you up.

Old 01-19-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Even though it doesn't get terribly cold here, we still get the occasional day in the 20s and plenty of days in the 30s. But I'm a very hot natured person and don't like coats. I have a light parka rated to 32 degrees that suits me when it's very cold out. I also have a heavier parka rated to 0 degrees if there's a lot of chill or a rain. But most of the time, I just wear a hoodie.

I don't know if others are like me, but I can't stand feeling the bulk of my coat when I'm driving, so unless it's extremely cold, I take my coat off as soon as I get in the car. I was that way even when I lived in the colder climes of AK and MT, so I always sat in my car coatless and freezing until it warmed up just so I didn't feel like the Michelin man behind the wheel.

Same here! Along with being uncomfortable, bulky coats & hoods can be dangerous as they impede your range of motion and sight.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,596,896 times
If it's really bitter cold, put panty hose on over long johns. It helps a lot if it's 20 degrees below freezing and there's a wind, otherwise you will be too hot. For a hat I use an ear flap insulated Filson, with at least 2 layers of hood and thinsulate stocking cap over the filson if it's really cold. A hoody sweatshirt and a hoody coat help a lot. I also have a hoody knit t-shirt for very cold conditions. Electric socks will keep your feet warm, and insulated coveralls will cover the small of your back when you bend over.

It's not the cold, it's the wind. You can layer up, but your shell needs to be a good windbreaker. Anybody can be comfortable on a calm day at 20 below, but add a 20 mph wind and you better be prepared.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:15 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,380,314 times
I wear my car when I'm outside of my house, and layer with a long down coat from LandsEnd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty