Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 06:45 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,076,810 times

Advertisements

If it's really cold, long johns, thermal hoody, down coat, ski pants, thinsulate boots, wool cap covered with the hoods from thermal hoody and down coat plus thick gloves. Layers work. Kept me warm outside during the "polar vortex" last winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 07:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,653,849 times
Up til this year I'd usually shovel the snow wearing:

A bra
A "Cuddleduds" tank top, tucked into
A pair of "Cuddleduds" thermal leggings
A Duo-Fold long-sleeved crew-neck shirt, tucked into the leggings
A sweatshirt
A hoodie
A pashmina scarf draped over my head and around my neck, muslim-style
Thinsulate gloves
Mittens
Two pairs of normal ankle-length sweatsocks
Boots

No winter coat at all, and I usually end up ditching the hoodie and the scarf after the first hour of shoveling.

However - I got sick of all that bulk and finally broke down and bought a winter coat this year. It's a Free Country 3-in-1. Inner jacket zips into the outer jacket making one extreme-heat jacket. And each part - outer and inner - can be worn separately. I got for around $100. It's super light-weight, and I'm pretty sure I'll only need the bra and the Duo-Fold under it (and the scarf for my face/ears and thermal leggings and 2 pairs of socks, of course!)

Old 01-19-2016, 10:26 PM

13,579 posts, read 9,601,334 times
Good question. One of the things that's always baffled me about America, is the lack of durable warm clothing, despite the winters here in recent years almost rivaling (I'm told) that of the Eastern Front in 1941-1942. Most people evidently rely on warm interior spaces, warm cars, warm everything... but this isn't always available, especially if one lives in the countryside, and drives older vehicles with wheezy HVAC systems.

My general approach has been to shiver and to keep moving. Shivering, Solzhenitsyn reminds us, is a good thing - it means that the body's core is still fighting the cold.

Old 01-20-2016, 06:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,191,437 times
I detest bulky coats, so usually I'm fine with just a wool pea coat; they're thin enough it doesn't get in the way while carrying grocery bags, laundry baskets, and little people. But once it gets below 30 degrees, I have to buck up and wear a down parka. For running, I wear a base layer of silk long underwear and glove liners. They're expensive, but super lightweight and warm, and really durable; I've had the same 2 pair of each since I was about 14, and they're still in really good shape. Over that I just wear my usual running pants, a hoodie, gloves, and a wool hat.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,430,020 times
The coldest city in the world is Yakutsk. The average winter temperature there is -30 degrees F. This is without the wind chill factor (though there's never much wind anyways). The warmest day of the winter will typically be around 0 degrees F, and the coldest days of the winter will typically remain below -50 degrees F.

Despite those temperatures, the women who live there still like to dress fashionably, and a decent coat with accessories will cost the equivalent of more than $1000 there.

Here are some links to see their reindeer-type coats, hats, boots, etc that they wear there:

What to wear in Yakutia/Siberia in the middle of winter? | AskYakutia.com

Winter Clothing Tip #1: Warm Clothes to Buy in Yakutsk, Russia's Siberia | AskYakutia.com

Yakutsk: Journey to the coldest city on earth | Europe | Travel | The Independent

Quote:
Anyone living in cold areas will tell that the best way to dress is to wear layers, you must dress yourself like an onion. The more thin layers of air you trap between your body and the outside air the warmer you will get. Natural fur works excellently at doing that: trapping air layers close to the skin. Synthetic fabrics are very good too.

Nowadays, Yakutia inhabitants prefer to wear reindeer skin boots only. They are really good for feet. I have such boots, and my feet feel in them safe as in tanks. But they, especially female ones, are not cheap here. One pair of woman high reindeer fur boots may costs minimum 10,000-12,000 rubles (~330-400 USD). The gorgeous, really beautiful unty (унты, that’s how we call them) can be purchased even at the price of 20,000 rubles.

On the top, Yakutians prefer to wear three types of coats:
1. A fur coat (шуба). The warmest fur is considered to be polar fox, raccoon and sheepskin (this type is more appropriate for males.) But you know female fur coat is percepted as the sign of well-being. So our ladies prefer to wear very beautiful, expensive coats. The funniest thing is that most of them are brought from Greece and China.
2. A sheepskin coat (тулуп) designed for males, especially servicemen, policemen, hunters, etc.
3. Parkas, as you mentioned. Synthetic fabrics might appear to be very good too. But you have to get such fabrics that were specially designed for extreme cold, sub-zero weather. According to a few local friends’ witnesses, The North Face Himalayan parka is really good. For instance, I have a Canada Goose Arctic parka. In the city, where I spend not so much time outdoors, I can wear it even with a light sweater.
Personally I think it's fascinating.

Last edited by Shalop; 01-20-2016 at 12:40 PM..

Old 01-22-2016, 09:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,191,437 times
^^That reminds me of my grandfather, who was from Yakutsk. It would be 10 degrees outside, and he'd be in nothing but a flannel shirt, calling us a bunch of sissies, lol.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,646,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
So for those who have to deal with winter and the cold weather, what winter jacket(s) are you wearing to keep warm? Do you have a jacket that's super warm that doesn't require you to layer up underneath or do you have outerwear that isn't that great that you have to wear several layers to compensate?

Also does anyone own any expensive jackets like Canada Goose, Nobis etc? How warm are those and do you think its worth the money? I find it funny that up here in Toronto whenever the weather gets somewhat cold, all of a sudden you see a ton of people wearing Canada Goose jackets or knockoffs of Canada Goose jackets. Especially asians they seem to LOVE Canada Goose. I went to an asian supermarket a few days ago and it seemed like every other person was wearing one. An exaggeration of course, but yeah an awful lot of people were wearing one in that supermarket.

So please share what jackets do you own to keep you warm? And which ones do you recommend? Or do you simply just layer up?
I spend quite a bit of time outdoors in the winter due to my dogs and the field nature of some of my work. I wear layers deliberately as it is both warmest and most practical. I have a waterproof breathable shell from north face , that is a bit longer than top of thigh. Under that I wear a technical fleece from Patagonia that is warm and windproof (not actually waterproof) both have vents. Keeps me warm in all cold and wet conditions, any thing cold enough to warrant a parka, I'd rather have layers.

For dressier occasions I wear a wool peacoat.

Oh, for when it's really cold I have a very light down jacket I wear under the shell instead of the fleece, but that's for snowboarding.

You didn't mention pants but for anything active I wear some combo or silk/tech long underwear under flannel lined jeans and top with rain pants.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,333,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I have a down coat from Lands End that I wear when it gets really cold. It hits mid-thigh and has a hood.
Ditto here. I have a few down coats from lands end. Not sure if the quality is the same as it used to be. I also have a thigh length shearling that I got used. They are expensive new. When it is cold, I wear layers and not just a jacket or coat. If I need to cool down a little, I can open the coat..and not die. Layers are key.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:01 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,685,307 times
We went a suprise-trip and it supposed to be about -3c so I did not take my winter jacket with me. Then after few days -30c arrived and I bought a cheap winter jacket just to survive till home. It is great and warm. I had no wool sweater under but just college. Cheap can be warm too.

Also fat works better than muscle even they try to tell opposite, layers always with you

When I am home with my all clothes I use natural fibres from head to toes Only if stormy wind or raining I use waterproof.

If you have a chance get to know what frieze is. It is so hot pants that I rarely can use them, they are too hot to wear without -30c/-40c, same with jacket of course. Also fulled products usually are warm and quite wind proof.

Also ethical angora wool is very warm. Only ethical, tortured angora is very sad and cold so ask certification.

Just don't be afraid of looking fat for wearing enough clothes. Thick equals warm

Around 0c I don't use any extras yet, a coat without fillings and jeans are enough.

Tip for toes: Sometimes it is warmer to wear wool socks straight to foot without thin regular socks between. There could be also 2 wool socks and no thin socks at all.

Knitting is a good hobby if cold weathers

Last edited by soUlwounD; 01-23-2016 at 10:11 AM..

Old 01-23-2016, 10:04 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,685,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
My everyday coat is an Eddie Bauer goose feather jacket, I also have a couple of 2 piece coats but they are very bulky by comparison.
My mother uses feather jackets, I never used them first for ethical reasons and second, they are too hot for me. Maybe if -50 c and I would want to try a one, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty