Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:42 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,950,682 times

Advertisements

check into N. Johnson's Opti-Grab accessory, no more bent or off-kilter temples!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,923,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
check into N. Johnson's Opti-Grab accessory, no more bent or off-kilter temples!

Old 02-05-2016, 11:12 AM

2,729 posts, read 2,690,776 times
I don't wear other than my ray-ban sunglasses

Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,754,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirmooS View Post
I have prescription and must wear glasses. If I make up, I wear contact. But I wanna find a way to make me look attractive even wearing glasses. Been tried some other frames but didn`t satisfied.
Anybody recommend some fashion glasses to me? Better with pics, thanks!
I wear $1 reading glasses...I had the small wire frame type, Mom said "They make you look more intelligent"...So I quit buying them...WTF??

Old 02-05-2016, 01:52 PM

29,696 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I am personally skeptical of ordering full glasses online. I might consider getting some frames. But since I need high index lenses, and have horrible eyes it feels risky not to have the in person support. And also every frame I have ever purchased has needed adjustments. Some need heat adjustments (plastic frames). If I had easy eyes with a straightforward prescription I might do it, but I like trying on the frames in person. I need a bit more high touch customer service!
I think you and I are bad eyes twins. I always joke that I need to go to an in-person optician since they have to send away to NASA for my lenses. If I had relatively simple glasses needs, I'd be more likely to try online-only options.

Old 02-05-2016, 02:03 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
I know people don't like the super huge hipster plastic frames (neither do I), but I am reveling in tiny, wire rim and nose-pad numbers failing to cycle back in as of yet. Those were never flattering on me.

I prefer a plastic frame that's more subtle than the barista-with-exaggeratedly-huge-glasses look, but I definitely find a larger frame more flattering to my face than a smaller frame.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 PM

777 posts, read 1,333,794 times
I have glasses. I mostly wear contacts on work days and when out in about; but at night or when staying home all day, I wear my glasses.

While I have, also bought a pair from Zenni Optical, I was not satisfied with them. I may have saved lots of money, but I forgot to pay attention to the over the ear part when I bought some and now I can't wear them b/c I accidently bought a large kind that hurts my ears. I can only tolerate the metal over the ear ones, and there are definitely like, zero, attractive options for those online.

I do stick to Zenni when buying my husband glasses thought b/c A) he doesn't care, and B) he breaks his a lot.

My most recent pair of frames I got at Costco. Tried them on and they were a MUST buy. Weren't cheap though.

I also recommend Costco for an eye exam. WAY cheaper if you're paying out of pocket. And you don't have to have a Costco membership to get the exams; but you do have to a have membership to buy their glasses.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:20 PM

214 posts, read 299,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaundercover View Post
I also recommend Costco for an eye exam. WAY cheaper if you're paying out of pocket. And you don't have to have a Costco membership to get the exams; but you do have to a have membership to buy their glasses.
Unfortunately, each Costco has an independent optometrist. Prices vary a LOT from Costco to Costco for an exam and likewise, the quality of the exam is going to vary from location to location.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:32 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,770,079 times
I've worn glasses for almost 30 years. I've never tried contacts. Zero interest. Once I buy glasses, that's it. There are no further charges, no hassles. It takes three seconds to put on my glasses. I'll never mess around with solutions and putting something in my eye and taking it out. Like I said, zero interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm an optician, and I advise against buying glasses online. Glasses are a custom, prescription item. Unless you wear over the counter readers, they are a medication for your eyes. I can't tell you how many patients have come into my office wanting new glasses after buying glasses unsuccessfully online or from cheap opticals such as America's Best. With glasses, as with many other things, you get what you pay for. Even if you don't notice a difference in fit with online glasses, the optical quality of the lenses is not as good as glasses purchased in better opticals, so the visual experience isn't as smooth.
Been there, done that.

I went with a cheapo place because they took my insurance. The prescription was all wrong. So I went back to the small-town optometrist that I'd seen before, and forked out for the prescription out-of-pocket. And I haven't regretted. He's not punching a clock - he's looking at my eyes, he's marking things he sees on the photos to compare with the exam next time I come in in a year or two, and so forth.

There are some things I'll skimp on. Glasses? No way. Sorry, paying an extra two or three hundred dollars for proper vision is a no-brainer.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:40 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
...and it is, in fact possible to experience proper vision from glasses purchased from an online retailer at a better cost. And glad I am for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty