Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 02:16 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,897,313 times

Advertisements

If I look down on cosmetic surgery, it's not about class envy (I've known people of all kinds of income levels who had "work" done) or about wishing to hold them back into the average range to share my average misery.

I look down on it for several reasons.
--I truly believe that we (our souls) are here in this life to learn certain lessons. Part of those necessary lessons include the physical body we're born with. I think you're cheating yourself out of important lessons if you take such drastic steps to change the body you've ben born with. Yes, get medical treatment for physical illnesses and disabilities. Yes, go ahead, wear makeup or color your hair. But to value looks so much that you go through something so extreme to change your looks? I just think it's wrong on a soul level. In no way do I meant hat I don't think people have the right to do it; of course they have the right. But I still find it sad that they are cheating themselves out of what should have been important life experiences. For example, I'm probably in the average range of looks, and at some periods in life I may have been above average (but not far above). But I've always had to live with very pale skin (which I was teased for as a kid and teen), small boobs, etc. But dealing with the experiences that I had because of those "flaws" made me who I am today, and I gained strength from being teased, having others chosen over me, or having guys prefer bigger boobs. Maybe when I was 20 I might have wished to get cosmetic surgery, but now, I would not trade my life experiences for those surface improvements.

--I tend to look down on people who spend/waste a lot of money on things I believe are frivolous. Again, of course they have a right to do what they wish with their money. but I also have to right to form my own opinion about that and look down on things I look down on. People's priorities, as evidenced by what they spend money on speak a lot about the person. If someone invests $30,000 in the down-payment on a house, and someone else gives $30,000 to charity, and someone else invests $30,000 in their education, and someone else spends $30,000 on cosmetic surgery, and someone else spends $30,000 on flashy technology, and someone else spends $30,000 on a car, I'm going to form different judgments about each of those people.

Of course I differentiate between cosmetic surgery and other forms of plastic surgery that I think are more necessary. If someone is born with a true deformity that can be corrected, or they had severe scars from an injury, then I don't look down on their decision. But things like a crooked nose, small boobs, thick waist, or a small chin don't fall into the category of a true debilitating deformity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 02:26 PM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Why plastic surgery is frowned upon is because we tend to see more of the freakish results on celebrities who look worse afterwards, then we do the results of plastic surgery that helps people.
There is probably not enough business for all the plastic surgeons to just fix cleft palates and malformations, so they must ply their trade upon rich women who have bad judgment.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,904,604 times
picklejuice, I just saw that Twilight Zone episode the other night. hadn't seen it since I was a kid but rememebred that the girl was in To Kill a Mockingbird too

Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why plastic surgery is frowned upon is because we tend to see more of the freakish results on celebrities who look worse afterwards, then we do the results of plastic surgery that helps people.
There is probably not enough business for all the plastic surgeons to just fix cleft palates and malformations, so they must ply their trade upon rich women who have bad judgment.
Yeah. Sometimes people just show the negative, because it's more juicy, and something for people to find amusing.

Sometimes, it depends on the surgeons. For example, the man who worked on this lady did a terrific job.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/silve...35140_1000.jpg

Old 02-12-2016, 03:08 PM

1,038 posts, read 902,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
you gotta be kidding me. Really???

I don't think so. I think it is bad genetics or she lost a lot of weight.
No, she hadn't even stopped growing! She didn't have a pound of fat on her, was one of those Athletic Cross Train types that spend half their schooling learning PE.

She was a tiny little thing and id never seen that sort of skin on a girl that age before, no matter what weight

it was a DIRECT result of 8 weeks of pregnancy. My friend told me she knew before they did because she swelled up like a little plum.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:11 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
Who said that I want to get plastic surgery? and if I did, who said that I want recognition for it?

I find it hypocritical how people consider plastic surgery to be shallow, but they don't consider the natural good looking person, who simply won the genetic lottery, to be shallow.
How can something you had no action in make you shallow? That isn't hypocritical, it just defies logic.

Good looking people can be shallow, but there existence in and of itself does not make them shallow.

Quote:
They praise and admire them to no end. They lust over beautiful men and women, in movies, media, magazines, Tv ads, Tv shows, sports, youtube, EVERYWHERE. They consider the improvement of looks, something to shallow, yet they praise good looks all the time, all around the world.
The fact that what you are saying could be said about any inherited trait, including intelligence, but you choose to focus on looks alone speaks to your own fixation with looks. Hence the application of the term "shallow" to you.

Quote:
That is the a huge hypocrisy. They are ok with people who won the genetic lottery and obtained their looks without doing a damn thing, but if someone choose to do something about their not so great looks, they are shunned by society.
Holy hyperbole!! Talk about #firstworldproblems. Shunned? Really? You want to use the word shunned?!?!? By society? Good looking people certainly get advantages, but so to smart people, strong people, healthy people, whatever. And no, people who get a nose job are not being shunned BY SOCIETY. They have jobs, friends, families, entire tv shows. Ugh, shunned

Quote:
Society will always value innate traits over worked ones, that's why. People are aware of this, which is many who get cosmetic surgery lie about it, or simply hide it. Also, the people who use anabolic steroids, do the same thing. They lie about it and hide their use. In both cases, they know they will be judged negatively by society. They know society prefers innate/natural traits.
Work ethic is widely valued in this society. As proven by the mantra of "pulling yourself up by your bootstraps". Additionally, there is a biological drive that causes people to want partners with certain innate traits. So what?

Shallow is as shallow does. Whining about a negative connotation to plastic surgery while also calling people who simply are attractive "shallow" is the definition of shallow. There are real problems out there, maybe focus on something else.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:46 PM

24,118 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Because they are idiots. They are too stupid to realize that Cindy Crawford and Demi Moore only STILL look so great because they had luck in picking their surgeon.

90% of those people who get admired had work done. Teeth, hair, boobs, nose, .........

Thank you . I never understood why people are so terribly judgmental about cosmetic surgery.

Not everyone who has something done, comes out grotesque or mutilated.

There are people who's lives are miserable because of some flaw or defect that could easily be corrected. Isn't that better than going around hating some feature that you have when there is no need to live that way?

Recently, in this forum a woman with an apple shaped figure (one of the worst, most resistant to change, and difficult body types) was asking for suggestions. I told her to get down to her best weight, work with a trainer too see if she could sculpt a bit of a waist, and if she was still unhappy, to explore liposuction and breast reduction (some Apples have enormous unwieldy breasts) surgery.

People were not happy with my suggestion.

I have seen lives transformed by plastic surgery. A friend from HS had a huge and unattractive nose. She was very self conscious about it. When she graduated from HS, she had a nose job. The change was amazing! The doctor did not give her a "tiny little button nose" but a nose that suited her face. Actually, a better version of the nose she had.

She went away to college a happier and more confident person!

Another neighbor was a short woman who had enormous breasts. She must have been a double D. This woman was slender otherwise. She looked disproportionate. She had back aches, and permanent grooves in her back. She was also subject to cruel taunting.

After her breast reduction, she was able to go to the beach, wear normal clothes, and her social life improved.

The second group of people who have cosmetic surgery are generally happy with their appearance, but want to delay the aging process. Some people have no problem with aging. For others, it can be traumatic.

I have never, ever bought into the idea that these celebrities look as good as they do without a little help. My idea of aging gracefully, will be to obtain a few minor nips, tucks, and general help, as needed.

I have Botox and fillers, and that's enough for now. But when I enter my 60s? Who knows? Many middle aged women do this several times a year and just see it as maintenance and upkeep.

No one is forcing anyone to have plastic surgery. Or judging them for not doing that. Do what you like!

And, not everyone who does, has psychological problems. People who want to "look like Barbie" - yes. That is a problem.

But even then, it is their business, not mine.

Live and let live! And as for myself, I want to look my best while I do.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:16 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinero View Post
But plastic surgery is limited to the maybe 10 or 20% of the population with the means to pay for it.
It sounds like you are just estimating that statistic. You haven't listed your location, but in California it's pretty affordable. A facelift from a plastic (not cosmetic) surgeon is anywhere from $12k-$15k, less than half the cost of an average new car. And just like a car, most doctors offer financing. Other procedures are much less.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:04 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
I think it's because they're subconsciously afraid that it'll lead to the continued evolution of unattractive humans since they today's humans are "deceiving" their way into breeding.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:30 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogityboogity View Post
And some people get surgery and aren't pleased with the results because it doesn't address the underlying self esteem issues, so they wind up getting more trying to find happiness in their own skin, which isn't necessarily found at the end of a scalpel.
So that means don't even try?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology