Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Hey, I'm not trying to make anyone look small or petty. If you like name brands, then by all means buy them!
If I came across a name brand and liked it, if the price was right and it suited my needs, I'd buy it without even knowing it was a name brand since I don't follow what's "in" at the time lol.

I just don't notice name brands, whether it's clothes or purses, or anything else. I go for comfort when I shop.
I didn't mean to imply that you did.

Usually someone will post that you have to be really stupid to spend all that money on a handbag. I'm trying to head them off at the pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 03:47 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
I currently own about 53 handbags that I bought new at very reasonable prices, I will not be making another handbag purchase the rest of my life since most of the handbags I currently have are the same in various colors and will last well beyond my lifetime because of the quality of the product and the material it is made of.
As far as used purse go I have never bought a used purse but I would never pay more than $30.00 for a new handbag and that is pushing my monetary limit to the maximum.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:56 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I would and have bought used handbags, purses, etc. That said, I usually don't need more than a couple. I have been carrying a hand-painted leather messenger bag for several years now that I purchased new on ebay for about $80.00 and it looks as good as the day I bought it. I do have several nice used ones I purchased on ebay as well, but seldom carry those anymore. I love to recycle, more people should do it!

Old 03-11-2016, 04:19 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I'm not stuck on designer labels. I have noticed a difference in a marked difference in the quality designer brands offer over cheaper brands, though. I received a Coach handbag as a gift (one without the Cs plastered all over,) and that thing is built like a tank. I've carried it everywhere and the only signs it's been used at all are a couple of areas at the bottom where the pink leather has faded. As for my Treesje handbag, I never even knew the brand existed until I started looking for my last bag. I was searching for certain characteristics in a bag, not a specific brand. Treesje is very similar to Coach in build quality. The leather and bag itself is quite heavy, with heavy duty zippers and seams. But it is not like Coach at all in style. Their bags are more edgy and flashy than the more understated Coach style. I am looking for Treesje purses again, just because they suit my personal taste. I can't afford to buy one at normal price, so if I have my heart set on one, I'll probably have to purchase a used bag.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Absolutely. I'm a thrift store junkie, and have bought quite a few purses used. Usually quirky patterns or one-of-a-kind type of things. I wouldn't know a designer purse if someone walked up an clubbed me in the face with it

Old 03-11-2016, 05:02 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
I went to an estate sale about a decade ago. The lady had collected Ferragamo bags and her closet was bulging with them. I bought two. Kept my favorite and sold the other one. I still haven't used the one I kept. It's vintage Italian and looks it.

I also have a pre-owned Bally quilted leather bag I have never used. It has few signs of wear. It would be perfect for a cruise. I keep it in a glass case with my Haviland plates and steamship china from ocean liners long out of service.

We'll be moving some time in the not-too-distant future so I'm shedding many things I don't want but all these things will be going to our new home.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:11 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I buy used bags all the time. I buy them at thrift shops rather than online, so I can see/feel/smell what I'm getting. Some bags aren't too clean inside or were owned by a smoker. I have had some success with removing odors from a bag by wiping the inside with baby wipes, then stuffing it with paper towels and a dryer sheet for a few weeks, but I don't think that would work on one that smelled really heavily of smoke. For $4, I can take a chance on not being able to get the odor out.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:26 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,617 times
I don't because the bags I'd be interested in I don't want to deal with having to make sure it's authentic. But I have sold some items on eBay with great results.

Old 03-11-2016, 05:45 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times
I've bought used bags before via eBay. I tried to check them out as much as I could via the pictures. If there was only 1 picture, or it just seemed to good to be true, I didn't bid.
The purses I've bought have been fine.
I prefer a leather bag because I tend to use them until they fall apart. I really hate switching purses so I usually buy black or red, which go with about everything.
If you want a well-made leather bag, there are plenty out there that are not designer and are reasonable priced. Just got to keep looking, and be willing to look anywhere - thrift shops, mark-down places like Steinmart, maybe even catalogs that you wouldn't normally look at. I once paid $3 for an extremely cute bag from a dime store. Nobody guessed it was a cheapy!

Old 03-11-2016, 05:56 PM

645 posts, read 750,592 times
I never have....I would worry buying online because I cant actually see it in person....you take a chance when you do that..they could send you a fake purse or damaged....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty