Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 06:00 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times

Advertisements

Some years there are just not going to be many clothes which you can buy. Other years you'll be able to wear everything and be able to fill your wardrobe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 06:00 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,992,840 times
Weren't peplums in the 80's...along with shoulder pads and big hair?

Old 03-12-2016, 06:03 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Tell me about your shape. It's all about your shape. What works on a ruler, doesn't on an apple or a pear. Also what is your size range? A ruler that is a size 6 can do different things than a size 12.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Weren't peplums in the 80's...along with shoulder pads and big hair?
They've been back for a couple of seasons now--probably close to time for them to disappear.

Actually, the big hair/shoulder pads did kinda balance out the peplums . . .

Old 03-12-2016, 10:01 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Peplum tops look good if you have a large bust and if your waist is smaller than your bust. They flatter my figure, but I don't wear them because my bust looks big enough already. I look like a cartoon character in peplum tops.

If you want to camouflage your midsection, a darker-colored thin jacket, short sleeved or not, that comes down past your hips will be flattering. Something like this: Oldnavy.com | Old Navy or this: Draped Shawl Collar Cardigan | Forever 21 - 2000116947 (obviously without the midriff top)

You really worry a lot about this...maybe some exercise would help lower your stress and help smooth out some problem areas at the same time. This isn't a sarcastic suggestion, just an idea for you, because it seems like every few months you get very worried about a figure flaw, real or otherwise.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:09 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,033 times
Peplum tops really flatter my figure. I cannot wear those loose, flowy shirts that have no shape. Those make ME look pregnant lol I have a bigger chest, but a small waist and small hips and I am very petite. They just hang on me and make me look like a big box shaped human.
Not every cut and style will work for you. Focus more on what does than what is "in". Sometimes it'll be easier to find stuff, sometimes not.
Find what your body shape is and you can find how best to dress it

Old 03-13-2016, 08:52 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,726 times
I have a smaller chest, large midsection, and tiny hips. When I gain weight, it seems to go to, and stay in, my midsection. Sometimes, my stomach protrudes a little past my bust area. I did get professionally styled via some big city online consultant with a decent reputation, but she was mainly concerned with colors that flatter me--she recommended a winter color palette---and items with empire waists for my lack of hips. When I went shopping, I was steered toward empires and peplums. At first, the peplums looked really good, but then I gained a little more weight, and BOOM, I now look believably pregnant in them! The reason it's gotten me a little concerned is people have started asking me if I am pregnant, and it seems like almost everything I try to wear is creating this ill begotten look!

The thing that upsets me the most about this is it seems like I don't have my own "fashion sense." Most of what other people tell me seems right, until I find out how silly I look. I've been sold a-line skirts, peplum tops, and dresses with empire waists, that I thought looked great on me, only to find out they actually called attention to the tummy I was trying to hide. I do not know how to dress my body, and I would like to change that. I've read some of the books, watched the makeover shows, fell in love with What Not to Wear and Love, Lust, or Run, asked for advice from store staff when shopping, and even went as far as hiring a stylist for a consultation, but really dressing well is a lot more difficult than the fashion professionals make it out to be. I must be an odd shape. I can't keep myself from looking fat without looking pregnant, apparently, and that's just not a look I want. Maybe it's time to hit the gym? I've lost weight before, though. It doesn't take much to get this tummy back.

Fashion is frustrating and mistakes are expensive. I think, at this point, I would be open to hiring someone to make my clothes, or learning how to make my own. I would get clothes altered, but I don't really know what I would need to alter.

Last edited by krmb; 03-13-2016 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-13-2016, 12:05 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,607,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
For some reason, I look believably pregnant in some of the peplum tops I bought last year. I feel like basically giving up on fashion. I look like an idiot when I try to dress well, and I don't even realize it until someone points it out to me! I think I understand it very well one day, and then the next realize I don't have a clue what I'm doing. It's very frustrating. Clothes are just not my friends. I don't really understand them. The flares I've been using to camouflage my stomach are creating an effect I don't want. Yes, I could stand to lose a few pounds, but there are people who are MUCH heavier than me who can dress their figures well and not come off looking pregnant. How embarrassing that the kids I teach probably know way more about fashion than I ever will.
Don't be so hard on yourself. I love my peplum tops, but they aren't for everyone. Same as any other style of clothing.

Old 03-13-2016, 01:39 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
I always thought peplums were made for people with no hips at all. Those are the only people I have seen who look good in that style. You are right. Give up on fashion and wear what looks good on you!

Old 03-13-2016, 02:33 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
I love the idea of peplums, but they're a solution for camouflage. You might do better with a straight boxy jacket, like Hillary Clinton wears.

I'm not sure why you're treating this as some arcane mystery. It's not as if there aren't a ton of magazines on the market. And your students may know what's current, but that's not the same think as understanding fashion. I'm sure your students look like slobs, in the way that most kids do. This isn't rocket science. Don't you have a friend who dresses well? Or just go to classic high-end department stores and start looking around and asking questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty