Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 09:42 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
Yeah, I'm hoping that I start to look better as I age. I do shave but even when I don't, I don't have much facial hair. Just chin hair and a mustache for the most part. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it. I have been called handsome before, but mostly by family members though and I figured they're pretty much obligated to do that.
At 18, my husband was cute, handsome, yes, but in a boyish sort of way. In his later 20s+, he's grown into his looks. He's a very handsome man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 09:53 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm hoping that I start to look better as I age. I do shave but even when I don't, I don't have much facial hair. Just chin hair and a mustache for the most part. Thanks for the advice though, I appreciate it. I have been called handsome before, but mostly by family members though and I figured they're pretty much obligated to do that.
Don't worry, your looks will catch up with you! I bet you just look boyish now. The boyish guys always age well!

Old 03-14-2016, 12:23 AM

4 posts, read 3,639 times
There are some good tips here. If you've ever noticed yourself becoming very attracted to someone who you didn't notice or who you dismissed at first, you have already learned that beauty isn't everything, though it seems so in our culture.

Old 03-14-2016, 02:09 AM

720 posts, read 733,642 times
CONFIDENCE is very attractive. Be gracious, kind, thoughtful and happy. There's nothing more attractive than that!

Physical beauty can only take you so far - what happens when you get old - and do you want people to like you because of your looks or because of who you are on the isde. Look to role models like Mark Zuckerberg or Bill Gates and figure out your passion in life and focus on that- the rest will fall into place...

Old 03-14-2016, 03:36 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
There have been good suggestions here. Focusing more outwardly, developing yourself otherwise and gaining confidence, is what matters. Smile and take an interest in others and your surroundings.

It saddens me that people can be looked down upon, due to physical attributes. It seems this has worsened in later years -- too much of a focus upon appearance, which has forced some to feel they need surgeries, with even young girls wanting boob or rear-end enhancements.

It makes me think of Michael Jackson and how what began his lack of self-esteem was overhearing a girl asking "what happened??", as he became a teen, had acne and was no longer "cute, little Michael". He was just going through an awkward phase, but was deeply affected, being teased even by family about his nose, that was much like his Dad's (a man he had grown to hate). Well, we know that once he began plastic surgery (after the bad accident), he did not stop there...having body dysmorphic disorder and of course, went too far (despite the most adoration any entertainer could ever have).

Anyway, I am glad you said you would not have surgery. It's just too bad anyone has to feel insecure due to societal, superficial projections. Be friendly, develop "from the inside out".. others are drawn to nice personality traits.

Old 03-14-2016, 04:16 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Growing up, I was called ugly and unattractive by some people and I never really got any attention from the opposite sex. I was wondering if there is any way that a guy could become more attractive in the face. If I were to rate myself on a scale of 1-10, I think I'd be maybe a 4 or 4.5. I wanted to hopefully change that to maybe a 6 or 6.5. I don't want to do anything radical or expensive like plastic surgery. I also dress pretty well and I take care of myself when it comes to hygiene, so I have no problems with that. I once posted on a Reddit section that judges looks and people said I looked average. I'm 18 but I think I look my age, I don't really have any facial hair, and I don't know if it matters much but I'm black. One feature that I got compliments before on are my eyes but that's pretty much it.
Watch some old episodes of that show where the gay guys would makeover a straight man. It's amazing what clean skin, perfect hair, and good clothes will do for a guy. Most of all, though, I don't think facial attractiveness is that important in men. Confidence is. A guy who is confident but "ugly" (but perfectly groomed) will be more attractive to most women than a pretty one who is insecure.

Also, I know you say you dress well, but based on what I see around town I wonder if most people actually know what that means.

I'm also going to add that attractiveness is NOT necessary for finding a girlfriend. People are attracted to others who are their level of attractiveness, and not all women are 10's. Don't be a guy who thinks he needs a 10, and you'll be fine. Try internet dating. 18 is a tough age for that, but in adults women mostly want men who are successful and responsible, so be successful and responsible and there will be plenty of women in your future.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:23 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Quote:
Growing up, I was called ugly and unattractive by some people and I never really got any attention from the opposite sex. I was wondering if there is any way that a guy could become more attractive in the face. If I were to rate myself on a scale of 1-10, I think I'd be maybe a 4 or 4.5. I wanted to hopefully change that to maybe a 6 or 6.5. I don't want to do anything radical or expensive like plastic surgery. I also dress pretty well and I take care of myself when it comes to hygiene, so I have no problems with that. I once posted on a Reddit section that judges looks and people said I looked average. I'm 18 but I think I look my age, I don't really have any facial hair, and I don't know if it matters much but I'm black. One feature that I got compliments before on are my eyes but that's pretty much it.
1. Hate to be trite, but it really is true that personality is very attractive. Comedians are bit hits with women. Jerry Lewis, Bob Hope, and others were ladies men. Don't overdo it.

2. Confidence. People who are confident attract people.

3. Lose weight, if you're overweight. A leaner, more chiseled face is more attractive on men, I think.

4. Hair is a big deal. I don't know much about Af. American hair, so I'll leave that to others. It shouldn't be weird or outlandish. It should fit the personality and person. Most Af American men I've known keep it really short and hugs the head. Sydney Poitier, Harry Bellafonte.

5. Mustache? Some women like that (I do). Don't know if that works for blacks as well, but a slender mustache is very appealing, IMO.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So why can't anyone else including the OP have something else to balance out his life or looks or whatever?
They can.

But the OP asked a specific question about his appearance, and defaulting to, "Accept yourself as you are!!" instead of offering helpful advice not only smacks of shaming but is off topic here.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post

Most black men keep their hair short (fade, close cut, buzzed), so advising him to change his hair style is moot.
I disagree that it's moot.

There are a lot of length options available even with short hair. I think Usher looks better with a little more on the top to visually "lengthen" his head than he does with a close cut.

Little changes like that can make a big difference.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I think it is very curious that so many cannot seem to accept themselves as they are and be successful in life when so many before them have proven that one's physical appearance does not hinder anything they don't allow it to.
One very successful example is Seal, he has a form of Lupus that scars the skin above the neck yet he is still Seal.....
We live in a very materialistic society. The face is one of those things that if youre unfortunately designed then youre going to have a very hard time finding that one special person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty