Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:31 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Another problem with putting wallets in back pocket is that it gets all sweaty and gross from the ass sweat.

My wallet smells like ass these days.
I've never had that problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2016, 11:19 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
When I got dressed this morning, I discovered my wallet was missing; it wasn't where I thought I had put it last night.
I spent all morning in a mild panic, searching the house, the car, the truck, etc. with this empty feeling in my left back pocket.
I even drove to the last store I was in yesterday. Nope, didn't leave it there.
Finally, in desperation, I used a flashlight to check where it SHOULD be, again.
I found it in the bottom of the laundry hamper. It had fallen off the top of my chest of drawers. The dark color blended in quite well, but the bright flashlight brought it out.
The empty feeling in my back pocket is gone, and I can relax!

Old 03-26-2016, 12:23 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Plastic cards can get damaged unprotected in pockets--scratches and abrasions of the magnetic strip. And many people have more than one financial card.

Cash is much neater kept clipped or folded into a wallet.

Leaving your driver's license in your car is not particularly smart, even if you have alternate identification. That gives a car thief your license, your registration, and your insurance papers all in one tidy location (and a very good chance that even if the thief is stopped by police, the officer might not look closely enough).

Even if you have only a couple of items, putting them into a slim wallet like one of these is a good idea. Heck, even many women keep their cards and cash in a wallet in their purses.
You bring up some good points, and I'll address them all for the benefit of you and others who may be contemplating losing the uncomfortable pocket bulge!

I've been doing without a wallet for about 25 years and have had to have two debit cards replaced. Once I lost, and later found in my home, and the second was still usable, but was a bit "tattered"....lol. The bank never charged me for either one, and just issued them to me as replacements.

My drivers license and insurance information isn't likely to be found if someone breaks into my car. It's certainly not in the center console, but rather tucked away in a rather unlikely place, but within my reach while seated and very easy to get since I know exactly where it is. I'm not going to mention where since I don't want to give any one with nefarious motives any ideas...lol.

My cash can sometimes be a mess....I'll admit to that. My wife is a cashier for a local supermarket and frequently grabs it after I purchase something and insists on arranging it in "proper" order....lol. It's usually a few 20's and a few other smaller bills, so I've never had trouble finding the proper cash for a purchase. When it pleases me, it's sure no trouble to put it in order, fold it once and stick it in my front pocket.

Plus, while it's probably more unlikely than your car being broken into.....you could get mugged too, and then the mugger wouldn't get your entire stash of ID's, all your credit cards, Insurance information etc....

When we go on vacation, I always keep my debit card, and my credit card and cash in at least two different pockets so I'm less likely to lose everything in one fell swoop should my pocket have a hole in it, or I get mugged etc... When we get where we're going, I usually hide some cash and the credit card in the rental house as well so we have something to fall back on should we lose everything else for one reason or another.

Plus, and my wife and I always have a friendly "fight" about this.....why the heck should anyone have more than one credit card anyway ? I have one credit card, and one debit card.....that's enough accounts to manage. My wife has a whole string of them and I have no idea why. My credit card, which is taken everywhere, has a high enough limit to buy a freaking new car for gods sake.....if I need to charge more than that, I'm in trouble, as should anyone else be as well. A fist full of credit cards is what gets far to many people into trouble....nuff said on that :-)

Anyway, to each their own, I'm just happy to have lost the "bulge" !

Old 03-26-2016, 01:21 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
I'm flummoxed trying to find the history of either the back pocket or when wallets started appearing in them. I know that back in the way back in the day when men wore suits "bill folds" went into the inside breast pocket. But my grandfather who was born in 1899 had a wallet and it went into his back pocket, my dad had a wallet and it went into his back pocket, I'm over 60 and I've never seen a wallet except in a back pocket. My wallet is in my back pocket. I suppose I'm just a slave to tradition.

Old 03-26-2016, 01:54 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,743,416 times
Over 50 years ago my Dad, an old school West Side Chicago guy, told me to not carry a wallet but to just carry a money clip in my front pocket. Which is what I do--my cash, drivers license and a couple of credit cards in a spring clip is light and handy and it takes a <very> skilled thief to get in a guy's front pocket.

Old 03-26-2016, 03:09 PM

17,265 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
I always carry my wallet in the front pocket.
Me too! Chiropractor will agree that a lump in your back pocket isn't great for your spine either

I use a money clip too......no need for an inch thick wallet

Old 03-26-2016, 07:32 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
Wallet in the back pocket is kind of annoying, get in the car, have to put it in the cupholder or something, but there really isn't much of a better solution.

Old 03-26-2016, 08:24 PM

28,661 posts, read 18,764,698 times
The OP is strictly about carrying wallets in the back pocket. The thread has two tangents, however: Thick wallets and wallets at all.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:14 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,512,757 times
May we now discuss women putting their smartphones in their back pockets? Half the time they look like they're ready to fall out.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:36 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
May we now discuss women putting their smartphones in their back pockets? Half the time they look like they're ready to fall out.
I've noticed that too. Not to mention the pressure you put on your phone when it's back there, and sitting on it? Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty