Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 AM

4,991 posts, read 5,281,440 times

Advertisements

We have three vehicles... mine, his, and a spare. That's three keys plus any fobs. Don't fit in pants well. I've heard it is bad for your back to put wallets in your back pocket. The doctor told my son not to put his cell phone in his pocket because it raises the risk for cancer.

The three keys on a ring probably isn't good for ignition either, but my husband has the push butter start where the key needs to be nearby, but not in ignition. I keep mine in my purse, but not necessarily together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 10:45 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,613,667 times
I have a wallet with the chain attatched to it (gift**sigh) so it is hard as a rock in back pocket, when i go out to eat, I put it in between my legs, the chain keeps it from going anywhere, this method works for me.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:56 AM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Mrs5150 and I spent the night at a popular tourist wine town about an hour from where we live. One that is visited often by city folk. This couple-early 30s sits at the table next to us and we notice the woman has her wallet and phone next to her (placing the wallet on the table?-slightly unusual. Did she leave her purse in the car? Maybe purses are out?)

But the guy set his wallet, car keys and phone on the table, also. Seemed a bit odd to me as I had my keys, wallet and phone in my pockets. I figured it must be due to wearing skinny jeans (could not tell) or it was some kind of urban fashionable thing. Anyway, never noticed such a thing before and all of the men in their 20s and 30s in my area keep said items in their pockets while dining-except for the phone.

Is this a new trend? Will I need to place my car keys and wallet on the table while dining in order to appear trendy? (And no I will not fit into skinny jeans.)
there is nothing 'trendy' about this. I've always seen a mixture among patrons wherever I am. My wallet and phone are usually out on the table or next to me if im in a booth just because it's more comfortable. These days I often just carry my ID and one or two cards so it's a little better. But even still, I never find it comfortable to sit on a wallet and it's not great for your back. It has nothing to do with my so called skinny jeans or any potential 'trendiness'

Old 03-29-2016, 10:58 AM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I've noticed the same thing OP. I think they don't have room in their skinny, hipster douche*** jeans for anything but themselves.
Yikes. What did someone else's pants ever do to you?

Old 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 4,243 times
Nice but all time everyone don't like it i think so.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:10 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,719,045 times
That is sort of odd. I live in a major city and that would

1. Be consider tacky and bad mannors. Unless less they were expecting a call from the bank or a company and needing all that stuff handy? I have seen the phone on the table a few times, but honestly it is pretty rude and inconsiderate.
2. Not practical as it is not likely there was lots of room on the table to begin with
3. Not safe as I could pretty easily see someone forgetting wallets and cell phones on the table or someone walking by in an high trafic area and walking off with either item.

Does not appear to be a trend where I am from.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:27 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Please state the name of the restaurant so none of us wastes time and money going there if the meal was so unmemorable to provoke this posting.
This. I would be busy enjoying my meal with Mrs. Scooby Snacks at whichever restaurant we were patronizing.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:14 PM

258 posts, read 347,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
That is sort of odd. I live in a major city and that would

1. Be consider tacky and bad mannors. Unless less they were expecting a call from the bank or a company and needing all that stuff handy? I have seen the phone on the table a few times, but honestly it is pretty rude and inconsiderate.
2. Not practical as it is not likely there was lots of room on the table to begin with
3. Not safe as I could pretty easily see someone forgetting wallets and cell phones on the table or someone walking by in an high trafic area and walking off with either item.

Does not appear to be a trend where I am from.
Why exactly would it be tacky or bad manners? Placing a phone on the table is not the same as constantly checking the phone. What is even rude or inconsiderate about this?? OP also mentioned this was a couple. How or why are you presuming that the partner found this rude in any way??

If one partner was constantly checking their phone, that is a different thing. But OP did not mention this at all. It sounds more like you are being extremely thin skinned or over sensitive about a personal quirk or habit.

Is it not practical or safe? I will agree with you - there's a chance they might forget to pick up their stuff. But so can be said about jackets, women's handbags, umbrellas and a bunch of other stuff.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
I don't know if it is "trend" or not, but I would never do it. My phone is always in my shirt pocket (I very carefully and deliberately only buy shirts that have flap pockets). My keys are always in my trousers pocket. My wallet is always in my left rear trousers pocket.
It has always been that way, and always will be.
One "trend" I see frequently and really do not understand is the "key fob" that looks like a short dog leash. What in the world is the purpose of THAT?? Perhaps they think it looks "cool". Perhaps somebody they are close to should tell them that most things that are thought of as "cool" really aren't!

Old 03-29-2016, 05:53 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Good to know. Mrs5150 suggested I was just not in touch how younger urbanites do things fashion wise. Even tho I am in my mid 60s, feel that I am aware of such matters.

I just thought it odd that a male would place his car keys and wallet on the restaurant table.
I think men and women should use something like Seinfeld's "European carry-all", in that "purse" episode. Everything would be kept in a tidy unit, and that's the only thing anyone would have to put on the table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty