Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times

Advertisements

I disagree about the man bun. If a guy has long hair, I think putting it in a bun is a neat way to wear it.

I do agree that plenty of guys don't groom their hair very well. Long hair is work. If you don't want to groom it every day, then don't grow it out, OK? The "trashy" look happens with dirty, stringy, and untrimmed hair. Well groomed women have their long and longer hair trimmed every few months. They also wash and condition it.

There are hair grooming products for men out there, so you won't be embarrassed to buy women's products. But the point is, long hair that looks good is not easy care. And, most men don't use a blow dryer to style their hair, I don't think. Or, if they do, they don't use a roll brush. So, even with the best of normal male type grooming, your long hair might have a disappointing texture, or waves/curls that don't cooperate.

I also think this look is best on a younger man. JMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:38 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
I think it's an ancient look were attracted too, I was reading about the suebi (Germanic tribe) and the men all had long hair ,some in ponytails,I don't mind if it's trashy I like peasant boys.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:39 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I'm very partial to long hair on men. I like it cascading long and free (and I even like it looooong), or tied back into a ponytail. Always liked that look. I like the look on all those guys pictured above (in fact, Pee Wee looks a lot better with it).

But, as others have already noted, much depends on the condition of the hair and whose head it's on. Because thinning, wispy hair doesn't look good long, and some faces just don't wear it well.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
Here's more of the lovely bartek boroweic

I love polish boys,boys with red hair and long hair on boys - this guy is all those things!
Saw a guy that looked just like him in budapest.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
I never cared for long hair on men. When long hair came in (late 60's, early 70's) I almost went straight. Thank goodness for the occasional rednecks and the eventual transition to military style haircuts in the later 70's. Without that my libido would've gone belly up. That would've been tragic. Men would have been hanging themselves.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:08 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
I'm trying to grow my hair out, I did it twice already (not super long) but I think I have telogen effluvium and I don't know how to cure it, so when it gets to a certain point it stops looking good.

Old 04-04-2016, 04:13 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I disagree about the man bun. If a guy has long hair, I think putting it in a bun is a neat way to wear it.
I heard a comedian (Aisha Tyler, maybe?) do a man bun joke that was something about when you see a guy with a man bun, part of you thinks "what a douchebag" and another part is "and I would hit that." He probably does yoga and he's sensitive and would make sure that you had a nice time.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:46 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
No! Well, except for that criminal above, LOL. But I mean in that case...duh. (Okay, my husband said that's Pee Wee Herman?)

The wrestler guy looks hilarious but frankly the hair is the least of his problems in that picture! (No offense, wrestling fans.)

All of these seem rather over the top examples...not just normal guys with long hair. Long hair on a man can look amazing. Just like with women's hair, if it's filthy and not cut nicely and not brushed/conditioned properly and so on, yes, in that case it will look trashy, of course.
This. It's not about the sex, it's about the upkeep. Long haired men who keep it healthy and well groomed looked great with it. Men with long hair who let it grow unkempt, dirty, and messy look like they live under a bridge. Whatever your hairstyle, the key is to take care of it.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:51 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
If you've got long hair, you better also have a guitar or some kind of musical talent. I can't think of any other reason to have long hair, men. So start taking guitar lessons or at least carry one.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:22 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,597,645 times
Like any other hair style, it depends on the guy (age, build, skin tone, etc), the hair (color, thickness, etc) and how well it's cared for. Some guys just can't pull it off no matter how well they take care of it...perhaps it makes them look too feminine no matter what.

OP, if you're being stymied by multiple jobs and ex-girlfriends about your hair, then that may be a sign that growing out your hair may not be a good idea no matter how much you want to. You may want to reconsider your wishes. You probably shouldn't do anything aesthetically that could jeopardize your employability or career advancement in your line of work. Likewise with harming your dating prospects. Hairstyle is important, but not THAT important. Sure, you want to be yourself and like the way you look, but you should also be aware of current social, cultural and professional norms...they do matter in many aspects of life and some people (including potential lucrative clients) are quick to judge and stereotype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
In a professional environment, its not anyone's best option. In restaurant work it wont go over well, unless you can pull off making a hairnet look good.

If you are a rock star, it's not a problem. If you are filthy rich, and don't need to worry about impressing anyone with your business acumen, do what you want.

It's more labor intensive than short hair to maintain. The weight can also cause headaches for some people.
Agreed on the professional part, especially in conservative old-school professional office environments. And also in some younger more progressive environments, depending on your job position (e.g. marketing, PR). Long hair on men is officially allowed where I work, but it is still frowned upon by some managers as an unwritten rule.

That said though, having an "unprofessional" hair style does not automatically mean that the hair is trashy. Long hair can look good and receive many genuine compliments (even from one's own boss)...and be considered unprofessional at the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty