Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:27 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Oh hell no there are trying to sweep this incident under the rug . You need to call her back and ask her why there is no compensation for how rudely you were treated and you feel there should be some sort since you were embarrassed . she would not get away with that with me lower the boom on them now ...
Where do you see this? She got a reply from the person whose job it is to receive the customer communications and forward them appropriately and then let the customer know she did so. Sounds as if they have a standard business practice in place to handle complaints.

Of everybody expected to be handed money for complaining about a rude employee, stores would go out of business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:36 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:
Oh hell no there are trying to sweep this incident under the rug . You need to call her back and ask her why there is no compensation for how rudely you were treated and you feel there should be some sort since you were embarrassed . she would not get away with that with me lower the boom on them now ...
So, you think it would have been better if the store had said "Here is a check for $500. By cashing this check, you agree to never discuss this incident on any kind of media with anybody EVER, and you also agree to never enter one of our stores again!"
IMO, one is NOT entitled to a cash settlement for hurt feelings!

By the way, proof-reading a post before hitting the "Submit Reply" button is a wonderful thing.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:10 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I was at the store trying on some clothing, and the dressing room attendant gave me a dressing room tag for two items, but before they let me try on the clothing she checked all pockets and looked to see if I was hiding anything in the clothing before entering the dressing room, then she let me through

after trying on the two items of clothing I was leaving and handed her the tag she gave me and I said I'll take these,

then she took the clothing back and searched the pockets and squeezed the clothing to check again to make sure I didnt try to hide something in the clothing.

this was kind of annoying and rude, do they normally do this at the places you buy clothing? it felt kind of insulting the way she kept checking it after she already did that before entering the changing area.

this happened at one of the those discount dress for less stores.

I didnt see her do that with the other customers?
It's insulting, isn't it? They do that to me too. I'm pretty sure I read that you were a minority? I'm not but apparently I fit the description of your average potential shoplifter. You might too. I usually have some random guy follow me down aisles too. I know they're security though.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
agreed. and half these posters would have a different opinion if it happened to them , that is why they don't think it is any big deal . I guarantee half of the people on here would be screaming injustice if it happened to them but because it did not they don't seem to think it is a big deal .
Nope, try again. Have been stopped, have been checked. Sometimes just because it's standard operating procedure, especially in fitting room areas. Not a big deal.
Once or twice when I was younger and behaving in a suspicious manner because I simply didn't know any better. Being told that what I was doing looked like I was attempting to steal something was a learning experience. So instead of getting outraged I apologized for my behavior and tried not to do it again. Again, not a big deal.
There is no such thing as someone who LOOKS like a shoplifter. It's the behavior, not the way a person looks.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:00 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
Petty crime is just so much more of an issue nowadays, at least in some cities. It's not surprising that some store clerks would be a bit paranoid. It wouldn't surprise me if some stores just started phasing out change rooms altogether.

Not that it would totally eliminate shop lifting... it might stop a lot of it at least.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:34 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I was at the store trying on some clothing, and the dressing room attendant gave me a dressing room tag for two items, but before they let me try on the clothing she checked all pockets and looked to see if I was hiding anything in the clothing before entering the dressing room, then she let me through

after trying on the two items of clothing I was leaving and handed her the tag she gave me and I said I'll take these,

then she took the clothing back and searched the pockets and squeezed the clothing to check again to make sure I didnt try to hide something in the clothing.

this was kind of annoying and rude, do they normally do this at the places you buy clothing? it felt kind of insulting the way she kept checking it after she already did that before entering the changing area.

this happened at one of the those discount dress for less stores.

I didnt see her do that with the other customers?
They do this at a few stores. They are random security measures where they draw a number and check whatever customer is that number. So if the number 25 is drawn, then every 25th customer will have this check done. They do this at stores that have either a certain threshold of shrinkage, or have had a few specific incidents of theft.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:36 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would have asked the attendant why they were doing this and if YOU were being singled out for this treatment why. Are you a minority? Have a lot of tattoos? Did you go shopping looking like a homeless person or a member of Hells Angels?

I would then write a letter to their corporate offices and tell them of your experience and that you won't be shopping there any longer. In this situation social media can be your friend depending on why they did this.
I seriously doubt a minority or a person with tattoos is a rarity at a Ross store in California.

Meaning I doubt there would be prejudice given the number of minorities and people with tattoos that frequent such stores, that the employee would single out each and every one for bias.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:40 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,313,107 times
My local big box store checks what's in the bags against the receipt as you leave. Last time I went there I bought one large item and the security guard was standing right there so he saw that I paid for it, but as I went to leave he asked to see my receipt, and I said to him 'you just saw me pay for it' and he agreed with me, pointed to some camera hidden in the ceiling and said that if he didn't check, he'd get in trouble..

so I don't take it personally anymore. It's not the clerks fault. They just want to keep their jobs.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:09 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
I haven't encountered this, but on the other hand I'm stunned at the statistics of theft, so I wouldn't give them a hard time about it.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:01 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
It seems over-the-top - I can see them checking a pocketbook as it's possible someone slips something in there to steal - it's a little annoying but I don't get offended - going thru pockets on items you'd want to purchase seems weird though but I guess it's all about business and shouldn't be taken personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty