U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 09:25 PM

4,868 posts, read 3,760,951 times

Advertisements

I am a casual person. Casual dress to work - khakis and polos. At home, it's jeans, capris, or shorts and tshirts or tanks. Sandals in summer; tennis shoes in winter. Church is like work - khakis and polos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 09:27 PM

20,423 posts, read 35,981,375 times
Sure do!
Plays, the symphony, restaurants, etc are all occasions to be wearing better than jeans and a tee shirt!

Old 05-02-2016, 10:56 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,520,787 times
Well-fitting jeans in a dark wash and a tee shirt when I'm not at work. I don't wear PJs in public, though. I've stopped wearing sweat pants in public, too.

Yes, I'd get more dressed up if I took a friend somewhere fancy for lunch. We generally end up at one of the burger joints, where a tee shirt and jeans are totally fine.

I had to wear panty hose, pumps, a dress or skirt, and full make-up on the job not that long ago. I don't feel like doing that anymore. I just want to go get my errands done. I don't need to show off my closet.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:56 PM

19,172 posts, read 12,679,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That must be a generational thing, though, right? Adults 30+ generally don't do that. People are generally well-dressed in Seattle malls. Kids have always had their own thing going on.

"Disheveled". That's funny! It makes the US sound like a nation of bums. It's not really that bad, is it? lol
I don't frequent the mall here. When I have occasionally gone during the week, I have been surprised at the bad dressing. Perhaps this was a fad, and it is now over. One thing I have noticed is that there aren't many people in the mall during the week, or at least when I visit. It is hard to generalize from my small sample.

But I have truly seen people walking around in house shoes and/or pajama bottoms. And I've also seen some who were not well groomed, to say the least.

Old 05-03-2016, 04:36 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 4 days ago)

17,275 posts, read 22,339,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wear skirts and sundresses all the time because they're comfortable. But they're casual.
im with tab

Old 05-04-2016, 12:02 PM

983 posts, read 704,909 times
I wear t shirts and jeans all the time. Church, home, shopping, whatever. If I dressed up to go shopping in my town, I would look like an outsider. At church no one cares how we dress, as long as it's decent.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:28 PM

913 posts, read 513,271 times
Most definitely. And I love it when people say "Why are you dressed up". Sorry, this is my normal. Now I do have my days when I am leaving the gym, etc, but not a jeans and T-shirt girl.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:16 PM

2,667 posts, read 5,161,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Just curious about everyone on this forum with this question. For me the answer is never.

I have to wear business casual at work which I do (no tie required), and I usually do that at church too, though sometimes I would add a tie, but rarely. I obviously dress up for special events like weddings and funerals.

Aside from that, I typically don't even wear a collared shirt. In the summer outside of the above settings I'm always in a t-shirt (sometimes when I'm just driving to the pool I would drive with no shirt on at all and that's not completely usual where I live which is a mostly rural blue collar area). I only wear dress shoes to work and church. All other times, I'm in tennis shoes, sandals, or flip flops. I always wear jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer, and khakis only at work and church. Occasionally when I feel lazy I do wear my pajamas for quick errands late at night or first thing in the morning, especially if its just places like Walmart, the supermarket, etc. My dress code is not unusual at all where I live.

I do know a couple people who dress up when they're not at work, but that's cause they work blue collar jobs. But just about everyone around me who has a dress code to follow at work would always dress down all the other times. In fact I know quite a few people who change into a t-shirt, flip flops etc before stopping at Walmart on the way home.

So, do any of y'all actually dress up, as in business casual or better just to go shopping, run errands, etc??
At work it's business casual and when traveling, but if going long distance, I'll wear jeans and a nice shirt.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:28 PM

73,343 posts, read 64,916,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Well-fitting jeans in a dark wash and a tee shirt when I'm not at work. I don't wear PJs in public, though. I've stopped wearing sweat pants in public, too.
I have a question about the idea that sweat outfits are considered sloppy or too casual. It really depends on the outfit, doesn't it? There are well-designed track outfits, even high-end designer ones, that are noticeably different from the average sweatsuit kids may have worn for HS gym class, or jogging around the block at home.

I don't know what it is, but whenever I wear something that would fall in that category--not the stereotypical baggy, grey sweatsuit, but a set that's fitted and in a flattering color, people remark on how sensational I look. One friend even said she didn't know I was into "fancy" clothes.
Does "sweats" have a narrower definition than I'm aware of? Is there a different term for the more stylish type of sport or jogger outfit? "Loungers" maybe? Help me out here, people. Because in my experience, people think "sweats" are very attractive and stylish. I figure there must be an apples-and-oranges thing going on with the terminology.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:11 PM

4,618 posts, read 7,601,982 times
Not really unless it's a wedding, funeral, or fancier event of some kind. For example, I like going to live theatrical performances (musicals, ballets, etc.) & people still wear jeans these days to them, which one can easily dress up.

I went to my aunt's burial at sea memorial service 2 mos ago & my mom & I were the most dressed ones there. We both had on black pantsuits. The only person just as dressed up was the granddaughter who arranged the service...she wore a white dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty