U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:20 PM

19,172 posts, read 12,679,296 times

Advertisements

Interesting question. I did business casual for years, and followed a stricter code before that, although I never had to do corporate dress. Now that I am retired, I find that I put a little more effort into dressing for things that I might never have done before. I don't dress up much, at all, really. So if I need to be somewhere, like picking up the grands, I do put a little more effort into dressing. I am not talking about dressing up, but I like to look put together, at the least.

I refuse to dress up for the doctor's office, but I make sure I am neat and clean. At my age, I don't need anyone thinking I'm slipping into dementia, or "losing it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 01:02 PM

4,737 posts, read 7,284,184 times
Shopping I often wear an IZOD or Polo Ralph Lauren T-shirt, which is a bit more casual than a T-shirt for sleep. To go out to eat at restaurants I wear my usual polo shirts. However, if I go to a more fancy restaurant I will wear a button-down shirt.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:23 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,605,395 times
Nope. Pull on knit pants and a T-shirt. That's my usual.

Old 11-19-2018, 05:23 AM

358 posts, read 123,533 times
Yes, we belong to a social group with people who share my husband's Italian heritage and although they hardly speak a word of Italian when we are together, they do display the Italian flair for dressing. Which I make some effort to imitate, albeit often unsuccessfully.

Which is entirely different to the dress standard I saw when we were last in the US, which seems to be even more casual than here in Sydney. We were recently in northern Italy and southern France and fashion is obviously important even when it is casual. It is casual with flair.

Work clothes here are almost a uniform of black and or grey, be they suits or pizza deliverers. I sometimes wonder whether it comes from school uniforms being almost universal in our state, right up to the end of high school. People must find it too stressful to start trying to decide what to wear to work so they develop their own little work uniform.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:30 AM

26,970 posts, read 28,361,399 times
I'm surprised I didn't chime in. I am on the more dressed up spectrum. But my dressed up still adds some casual element. I aim for some polish with every outfit. I don't dress up for the gym (thoughI do have some coordinating outfits) or if I am filling sick when out and about. Occasionally I'll throw on leggings and a t-shirt for errands, if I plan to go straight home after.

I wear jeans/leggings but not with sneakers. When I have on more casual pieces, I tend to add one dress up item of vice versa. I've got a few elevated flats that work nicely for this purpose.

I just feel better when I look a little more polished.

My uniforms are dress/cardigan or skinny jeans/blouse/nice flats or maybe a blazer and a t-shirt.

Old 11-19-2018, 11:07 AM

4,540 posts, read 1,565,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Maybe it's just a regional or local thing, but... it seems like people are dressing up way more to go to the mall nowadays than they used to.

If I go to a shopping centre on a weekend, I see lots of people walking around, who look like they put some serious effort into it. It's too bad, in a way... the mall used to be someplace where you could run in to do some errands, while wearing a sweatshirt and your hair in a banana clip. Not anymore though lol.

When I was younger, like in my 20's, my sister and I used to get all dressed up to go to the mall. Like on weekends we didn't have dates, we got dressed up and went to the mall. What can I say? We were young, cute, and strutting our stuff. (shrugging shoulders.)

Old 11-19-2018, 01:02 PM

3,721 posts, read 3,055,972 times
I'm one of those who don't mind wearing clothes that are considered "dress" style. Wife and I go to a lot of theater productions in town and I usually wear a sport coat, collared dress shirt, nice jeans or slacks, and good leather shoes. One poster noted the fact of poor presentation at the local mall, people wearing something resembling pajamas and slippers, or dirty people looking foul and smelling bad. This give a damn look unfortunately has become standard fare for a lot of America, I guess it's just a personal thing with me, dressing "up" was a norm in the America I grew up in, so I'm conforming to those older standards.

Old 11-20-2018, 04:57 PM

1,393 posts, read 557,836 times
Usually not, but sometimes. I feel better and more put together when I'm wearing business casual even just going to Costco.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:45 PM

539 posts, read 143,122 times
I dress up when I am serious about shopping for clothes. I want the staff to take me serious and to assist me in fitting clothes, choosing styles and doing the running back and forth to my dressing Room. If I am not serious in buying...I will dress casual and comfy. They leave you alone then.

Old 11-20-2018, 07:01 PM

511 posts, read 233,553 times
Who said I dress up for work?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty