U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 03:06 PM

6,615 posts, read 11,674,281 times

Advertisements

Just curious about everyone on this forum with this question. For me the answer is never.

I have to wear business casual at work which I do (no tie required), and I usually do that at church too, though sometimes I would add a tie, but rarely. I obviously dress up for special events like weddings and funerals.

Aside from that, I typically don't even wear a collared shirt. In the summer outside of the above settings I'm always in a t-shirt (sometimes when I'm just driving to the pool I would drive with no shirt on at all and that's not completely usual where I live which is a mostly rural blue collar area). I only wear dress shoes to work and church. All other times, I'm in tennis shoes, sandals, or flip flops. I always wear jeans in the winter and shorts in the summer, and khakis only at work and church. Occasionally when I feel lazy I do wear my pajamas for quick errands late at night or first thing in the morning, especially if its just places like Walmart, the supermarket, etc. My dress code is not unusual at all where I live.

I do know a couple people who dress up when they're not at work, but that's cause they work blue collar jobs. But just about everyone around me who has a dress code to follow at work would always dress down all the other times. In fact I know quite a few people who change into a t-shirt, flip flops etc before stopping at Walmart on the way home.

So, do any of y'all actually dress up, as in business casual or better just to go shopping, run errands, etc??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 4,719,761 times
I am a very casual person, but I like dressing well. Most times of the year when I am out with friends, or out to dinner, or out at a bar or whatever, I have a nice tailored oxford collared shirt on. Usually paired with fitted jeans or chinos and chucks or new balance or some equally classic sneaker in the summer or leather boots in the fall/winter. Occasionally I will wear some nice leather plain toed oxford or derby dress shoes with jeans or chinos as well.

In the summer I usually have shorts on with a long-sleeve oxford (sleeves rolled) or jeans/chinos with a short-sleeved oxford. In the winter, I'd layer it up with a nice sweater and/or jacket (occasionally a casual blazer).

I never wear sandals/flip fops unless I am at the pool.

So, no, I am not wearing a suit outside of the office very often, but I'm also not wearing gym shorts, sandals, and a t-shirt either. I see styles running the full gamut near me, but in general I am not out of the ordinary. Last night I biked to the grocery store to pick up food for the week. I threw on chucks, chino shorts, and a short sleeve oxford to stay cool.

Last edited by jamiecta; 04-26-2016 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 04:23 PM

1,646 posts, read 1,798,529 times
Yes!
I'm a jeans-wearing dog walker, so in my off time I wear skirts, dresses....it's a pleasure to be presentable, no matter what may come up in the day.
Even when I was a miserable cubicle slave, I looked forward to getting my style on every day.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:25 PM

35,828 posts, read 39,555,909 times
I wear skirts and sundresses all the time because they're comfortable. But they're casual.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:14 PM

3,274 posts, read 2,494,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I wear skirts and sundresses all the time because they're comfortable. But they're casual.
^^^ This. Lots of the time I'll just be in jeans or leggings but I have a few skirts and some sundresses I also like to bang around in. Most are just casual, but definitely more "dressed up" than jeans or leggings and tees.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 PM

19,032 posts, read 12,606,588 times
I dress only slightly more dressy for church. I am pretty casual most of the time, but I like to think I look nice when I go out. I favor denim, chambray, and some knits.

DH wears polo shirts in the summer and long sleeved woven shirts in the winter. He wears jeans mostly, and some chino type pants.

I think that grooming is more important than the dressy nature of clothing. You can look well groomed in a decently pressed workshirt and jeans and nice earrings, IMO. For a guy, I like to see a good hair cut, facial hair nicely groomed, clean hands and nails, and nicely fitting clothes. I think for us older people, that is all we need. This of course is just my opinion.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:29 PM

4,251 posts, read 3,048,150 times
Yes, I like to dress well.

If I'm going out in the evening--to a party, out at night with friends, out on date night with DH, concerts/theater, or any special outing--I like to dress up with a coordinated outfit, heels, makeup, and hair done. If I have somewhere out-of-the ordinary to go during the day, like a doctor's appointment, meeting a friend for lunch, et al., I also put together a nice outfit, with proper shoes & handbag. I enjoy getting myself fixed up when I go out.

I'm not a jeans/shorts/leggings & T-shirt kind of person. I wear that at home or when running local errands. But in general, I prefer a more put together look. These days, I don't go out as much as I used to. So when there's an occasion, I like to dress nicely for it.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 AM

26,923 posts, read 28,281,037 times
I wear a lot of dresses with varying degrees of formality on the weekends and such. One of the bonuses with most dresses is that you can change up your shoes to make it dressy or casual. Add nice accessories and you are golden.

I don't really have a "work wardrobe" my office is casual but I tend to dress up. I wear the same stuff all week.

Old 04-27-2016, 06:21 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,777,916 times
Maybe it's just a regional or local thing, but... it seems like people are dressing up way more to go to the mall nowadays than they used to.

If I go to a shopping centre on a weekend, I see lots of people walking around, who look like they put some serious effort into it. It's too bad, in a way... the mall used to be someplace where you could run in to do some errands, while wearing a sweatshirt and your hair in a banana clip. Not anymore though lol.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 AM

219 posts, read 89,338 times
I am pretty much always dressed business casual unless I am sick or working out. Skirts, Dresses, Slacks, Blouses, hair and makeup done and either a nice sandal or heels. Sometimes I'll be slightly more casual with nice jeans, nice sneakers, and a blouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty