Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,959 times

Advertisements

I love the look of button-down shirts, but I wear a large in the shoulders and chest and a small/medium in the waist! So, I need to buy a large for it to even fit. Usually I'll tuck in the shirt if that looks ok, or else tie the bottom back part in a knot to take it in at the waist (works best for thin shirts that are more casual).

What do I do for a nice short-sleeved button-down top? It's a tad short to tuck it in and I wanted to wear it with a low-rise skirt anyways so the tucked-in look doesn't look right. I've seen those dress clips with clamps on the ends of an elastic rectangular piece that tighten up the back of a garment, but have never been able to find them in a store or online (usually they come with the dress and match). Does anyone know what they are called so I'd be able to find one?

Or, any other ideas on how to take in a shirt (without sewing as I'm talking about a $15 shirt and I don't think it would be worth it to have it altered) so it doesn't look like I'm swimming in it? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,861,660 times
I forgot what those things are called but lots of dresses and shirts used to have them in the early 90's. You could try several different things and the clips are ehh (try looking at fabric stores for them).

1. Sew on some thin (gosh, not cording.....er) ties on the sides at the seams to tie pull it together in the back and then tie. It would only take about 3 stitches each to the shirt. Might be able to find something that is ready to use at a fabric store.

2. Do the same as above but use ribbon in a contrasting color (I'd use the wide ribbon). You could have it where it just goes from the sides to the back and ties or all the way around for a belt like effect or sash. To keep it from sliding around you could sew on some loops on the sides at the seams or sew the ribbon directly on at the seams to the shirt.

3. Take it to a tailor to have some darts put in on the bodice of it. Depending on the style and how much needs to be taken in you could do two darts in the back and two in the front.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:30 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,029 times
Us Bodybuilders have this problem as most shirts for men are boxed or only slightly tapered. Hard to fit a 48 in. chest with a 31 in. waist

Try looking for shirts with an "athletic fit" or that are "fitted". Also, try shopping online at sites for athletic people. What's nice is when those of us framed this way look AMAZING in tapered shirts

Old 02-14-2008, 04:25 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,375 times
If you're ok with tying shirts in the back into a knot, you could do what my daughters do. Although this is only for a casual look as well. They gather up the back into a rubber band and tuck it under. The first couple times I saw them do that, I didn't even realize how it was done. It just looked gathered somehow in the back.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:35 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,022,661 times
This is exactly what I would suggest! If you know someone (grandma, aunt, mom, etc) if you can do it yourself it would be all the more better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
3. Take it to a tailor to have some darts put in on the bodice of it. Depending on the style and how much needs to be taken in you could do two darts in the back and two in the front.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:15 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Wonder if you could make those elastic thingies with the clips on each end work? They sell in packages of 4, and are really meant for keeping bottom sheets on a bed. All they are is a piece of elastic with metal clips on each end, and you'd get 4 in a set.

If you have a sewing machine, and can make a straight stitch, it really isn't difficult to put darts in shirts. Invest in having one of your best shirts 'tailored' and then 'copy' what was done. You could practice on a shirt you planned to get rid of, anyway. It may look difficult, but it is really simple, and just straight stitching.

My husband has to buy larger shirts for his neck and shoulders, and they are always too large through the waist. We can't always find 'athletic' or tailored/tapered shirts -- and sometimes when we can find them, they are too expensive to be too practical. (He ruins them with a nice fountain pen.)

I like my own blouses 'tailored,' too, and often have to buy a size larger to fit me through the bustline. Then they are too full through the waist, too, so I well-understand your complaint.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 PM

319 posts, read 1,910,959 times
I'm thinking of just taking a piece of elastic an inch or so wide and sewing it into the inside of the shirt, where the seems are. There is just enough of a fold to sew onto, and it could take the shirt in a couple inches easily. I'll have to report back when I get around to it (not really in a hurry right now!).

I do just tie the shirts in a knot when possible, but I'm talking about dressier shirts for work in this case.

Old 07-10-2009, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 24,003 times
They are called "ELASTIC CINCH DRESS CLIPS" or "ELASTIC CINCH GARMENT CLIPS"...it took me a long time to find out what they were called and where to find them, but I did! They cost $6.00 and there are a variety of colors, etc. Cut n' paste this url into your browser if you want: [url]http://acostumejewelryshop.com/elastic-cinch-dress-p-4898.html[/url]

Last edited by skopf; 07-10-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: to edit url info

Old 07-10-2009, 01:08 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
If you're ok with tying shirts in the back into a knot, you could do what my daughters do. Although this is only for a casual look as well. They gather up the back into a rubber band and tuck it under. The first couple times I saw them do that, I didn't even realize how it was done. It just looked gathered somehow in the back.
This is a great look for t-shirts but I don't think it would look good with button-down shirts. Have you considered tying the shirt tails in a knot in the front?

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 21,548 times
Smile I found a great webstore!

Hi, I often wear the elastic cinch dress clips....I found a great place to get them: Just google to store pipe-town.com to look what they have. They have a great selection, LOW PRICE and GOOD QUALITY. (Easier to clip on than some others I've bought.) I also found several styles on ebay. Hope this helps.

Last edited by beagle3798; 07-23-2010 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: correct spelling error
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty