Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times

Advertisements

I would get on a website like Pinterest and look at clothing and outfits to get a sense of what you are drawn to and what goes together and then go shopping from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2016, 08:01 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I do have lots of nice silver jewelry to help accessorize and a few Coach and Treesje handbags. My shoes do need some work. My spouse wants to take me to our local outlet mall and look for some things. They run great sales and the clothing is more current. I like the suggestion of checking online for ideas. That way, I'll see outfit combos instead of individual pieces. Capris don't look good on me because I'm so short, but since I have nice legs, I think skinny jeans would be more flattering.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:15 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
One big advantage of being a girl is that we can just put on a pretty dress. Once we've picked the dress, then we know what foundations to wear under them, what shoes will look best, what jewelry...

Guys NEVER have that option. Even when they're wearing suits, they still have to worry about shirts. And the addition of the shirt is like another set of parentheses in an algebraic equation.

Honestly, it's as simple as picking out a few great dresses. Why so many of us resist that option is a mystery to me.

Old 05-07-2016, 08:43 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,934 times
generally not a fan of dresses. i do have a few dresses, but i don't really wear them that much. i tend to prefer pants/jeans ensembles.

get really nice shoes! like i've said in another thread, quality shoes elevate any outfit. there was a video by a certain stylist that indicated that for petite women, shoes with pointy toes are the way to go to elongate the line of your legs. i'm starting to go that route now, and been avoiding anything that bares my toes.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:27 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPPU12345 View Post
Wearing skirts would seem too sexy for women todays. They are okay for the office suits, but not for the normal wearings anymore. The young female these days wear very very tigh pants. O well, at least now I could tell they are the real girls.

For example:

the skirts I wear would not be considered sexy, they are very casual. they also have the advantage of not riding up into your bum like shorts do.

Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM

31 posts, read 18,976 times
Hi Scooby Snacks,
In my opinion, Wear the dress or outfit in which you feel comfort. I would be prefer to wear shorts and skirts with a loose blouse.
Thanks!!

Old 05-07-2016, 01:45 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Capris don't look good on me because I'm so short, but since I have nice legs, I think skinny jeans would be more flattering.
You might be able to pull off the the Audrey Hepburn-esque slim ankle pants (cigarette pants?) with flats look:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/7388786859168198/

Old 05-07-2016, 04:05 PM

6,228 posts, read 3,604,545 times
Quote:
I'm a 39 year old longtime poster and I have finally figured out I dress pretty lazily. I dress lazily because I have no clue about fashion for me. I'm looking to update my wardrobe with about 5 new summer outfits and I need some ideas. I don't know how to choose anything and all I wear are mid thigh length denim shorts, and loose cotton v-neck shirts with flip-flops or tennis shoes.

I am chesty, short (5'3"), wear an 8/10 petite pant/dress size, like to dress urban as I'm in Houston, prefer pants over dresses, but am not averse to a skirt, since skirts fit me better than dresses. I like solid colors better than patterns (bright colors or black are my favorites). I shop at Kohl's, Sears, or Penney's the rare times I shop. I don't want any more jeans or denim of any sort. I would like a couple of casual shopping outfits and some date night outfits suitable for hot weather. I would appreciate any suggestions!
I too am 5'3" and busty and prefer solids over patterns. Can you give more details? What is your coloring (hair, eyes, skin tone)? Would you describe your shape as pear, apple, hourglass, etc? Above-the-knee skirts are totally appropriate for petite women. Below-the-knee or tea length skirts (mid-calf) can make our legs look stubby and maxi skirts can swallow us up. Wedges, platform heels, or espradrilles are great for hot weather, elongate your legs, and look sexy with skirts and dresses while being comfortable.

As for pants, I avoid capris and cropped pants for the same reason as tea-length skirts--they shorten the legs. Avoid anything with pleats. For shoes I think flats with a pointed or almond toe work better on petites than a round toe.

V-neck tops are best for large chests because they 'cut' the largeness. A scoop neck is flattering too. Avoid Peter Pan collars or square ones as they give the illusion of mono-boob.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
It's so funny you mentioned that! I've made the decision to upgrade my wardrobe based on my latest handbag upgrades. I bought a few used designer handbags and they are way too nice looking for my worn out wardrobe. So of course I need to upgrade my wardrobe to match my purses

Dillard's is a great choice because they have a massive petites' section and they run good end of season sales. I will look there.
I miss having a local Dillards.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:37 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
I'm a 39 year old longtime poster and I have finally figured out I dress pretty lazily. I dress lazily because I have no clue about fashion for me. I'm looking to update my wardrobe with about 5 new summer outfits and I need some ideas. I don't know how to choose anything and all I wear are mid thigh length denim shorts, and loose cotton v-neck shirts with flip-flops or tennis shoes.

I am chesty, short (5'3"), wear an 8/10 petite pant/dress size, like to dress urban as I'm in Houston, prefer pants over dresses, but am not averse to a skirt, since skirts fit me better than dresses. I like solid colors better than patterns (bright colors or black are my favorites). I shop at Kohl's, Sears, or Penney's the rare times I shop. I don't want any more jeans or denim of any sort. I would like a couple of casual shopping outfits and some date night outfits suitable for hot weather. I would appreciate any suggestions!
My personal suggestion is to experiment with different looks, and not to confuse style with trends. You want something that complements your body well, and works well for your skin tone.

Trends and fashion are the clothes. You are the style.

Go with a look that you like. Dress more for yourself than others. You'd be surprised what you look good in. I got started updating my wardrobe and I found myself putting together outfits that I never thought I would wear in a million years. I also like these outfits and get a lot of compliments from people as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty