Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2016, 02:39 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
One big advantage of being a girl is that we can just put on a pretty dress. Once we've picked the dress, then we know what foundations to wear under them, what shoes will look best, what jewelry...

Guys NEVER have that option. Even when they're wearing suits, they still have to worry about shirts. And the addition of the shirt is like another set of parentheses in an algebraic equation.

Honestly, it's as simple as picking out a few great dresses. Why so many of us resist that option is a mystery to me.
I'm personally okay with shirts...(as a guy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2016, 02:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
My personal suggestion is to experiment with different looks, and not to confuse style with trends. You want something that complements your body well, and works well for your skin tone.

Trends and fashion are the clothes. You are the style.

Go with a look that you like. Dress more for yourself than others. You'd be surprised what you look good in. I got started updating my wardrobe and I found myself putting together outfits that I never thought I would wear in a million years. I also like these outfits and get a lot of compliments from people as well.
This.

Old 05-10-2016, 03:46 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
The problem I have with dresses is because I am disproportionately top heavy, if the top part fits, the bottom part of the dress inevitably bags and sags. That's why a skirt/blouse combination is better. I like the remark the poster said about me finding clothes that work for me, not trying to mold myself to fit current trends.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:19 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You need one, good, distressed pair of skinny jeans that you can pair with heels and a dressy top for evening, and converse and a fitted tee for day.

NO CAPRIS whatsoever, for any reason.

No chinos.

Start with one color, like black and start accessorizing.

Get a good LBD that fits you.

Get an excellent pair of flats (Tori Burch) and a good, comfortable pair of stilettos (nude Manolo Blahniks are an investment).

Invest in a good handbag.

My mother always taught me that as long as you have good shoes and a good handbag, you can get away with wearing a three dollar dress.

Old Navy has adorable, inexpensive sundresses this time of year.

I would second the little black dress. Or a very dark navy, if that suits your coloring better.

The good shoes & bag, yes! Your mother was right. And slowly add few pieces of good jewelry.

But before you buy anything get well fitting quality bras. You say you are chesty, so try Freya bras.

The advice to pick one base color is good.
Black is usually a go to, but some people look better in deep navy. Taupe could also be your base color especially-- if you live in hot climate.

The right colors are important. Figure out what colors look best next to your face in natural light. Use those only to go with your base color.

Next go try try try on clothes to see what styles look best on your shape.

Invest in quality pieces that look good and buy trendy only as an accessory. Find some classics that are your go to pieces.

If in a winter climate, a classic style winter coat is essential because it is what most people will see.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I too am 5'3" and busty and prefer solids over patterns. Can you give more details? What is your coloring (hair, eyes, skin tone)? Would you describe your shape as pear, apple, hourglass, etc? Above-the-knee skirts are totally appropriate for petite women. Below-the-knee or tea length skirts (mid-calf) can make our legs look stubby and maxi skirts can swallow us up. Wedges, platform heels, or espradrilles are great for hot weather, elongate your legs, and look sexy with skirts and dresses while being comfortable.

As for pants, I avoid capris and cropped pants for the same reason as tea-length skirts--they shorten the legs. Avoid anything with pleats. For shoes I think flats with a pointed or almond toe work better on petites than a round toe.

V-neck tops are best for large chests because they 'cut' the largeness. A scoop neck is flattering too. Avoid Peter Pan collars or square ones as they give the illusion of mono-boob.

Hourglass, very long black hair that is heavily greying because I'm not coloring it enough, dark olive complexion. I look best in bright red, blue, purple, or pink. I wear v-neck t-shirts now and greatly prefer those over a scoop neck. I have a hard time wearing high heels anymore and usually wear nice leather flats. I'm willing to try wearing wedges or other high heel alternatives. Oh, and every time I wear a dress or skirt, I also put on a girdle. My grandma raised me right

EDIT: Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, I'll just put one in. Maybe that will be more helpful. Of course my hair is perfectly dyed to make a good impression on my fellow posters, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
I Want to Dress More Stylish; Please Help!-k-ak-restaurant-edited-2.jpg  

Old 05-10-2016, 06:30 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Hourglass, very long black hair that is heavily greying because I'm not coloring it enough, dark olive complexion. I look best in bright red, blue, purple, or pink. I wear v-neck t-shirts now and greatly prefer those over a scoop neck. I have a hard time wearing high heels anymore and usually wear nice leather flats. I'm willing to try wearing wedges or other high heel alternatives. Oh, and every time I wear a dress or skirt, I also put on a girdle. My grandma raised me right

EDIT: Since a picture is worth 1,000 words, I'll just put one in. Maybe that will be more helpful. Of course my hair is perfectly dyed to make a good impression on my fellow posters, lol.
Scooby, I also like the colors you mentioned, and mostly what I wear. I am taller than you, but also large on top like you. I live in a hot climate and I love dresses, mostly sun dresses (I sometimes wear a light shrug over these when going out). For me, best shape is sleeveless, v-neck, fitted with slight a-line skirt and just above the knee. You can dress up or down with shoes/sandals and/or jewelry as needed. Clothing that is softly fitted, not too tight or too baggy will looks best, at least that is what looks best on me.

Good luck! I do a lot of thrift shopping myself, usually online through ebay.

Old 05-10-2016, 06:46 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
Gorgeous you.

Besides all rich jewel colors royal blue, fushia, deep turquoise, amethyst etc., you would also look great in icy colors blue, pink, green, lilac, and silver & very bright white. And animal prints!

Make certain the reds & pinks have blue undertones not orange or peach. If picking a brown-- make it a deep rich dark brown.

Diane von Furstenberg wrap dresses might be the ticket. Long sleeve or sleeveless it doesn't matter. The look is classic. These dresses are always in style. They are available new and also at Goodwill.

I always check the hem to be certain it hangs straight and is at the perfect length. A shortening of even a 1/2 inch can make all the difference.

I personally hate wedges. If you don't like high heels, buy kitten heels.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:40 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times
I wear clothing and accessories from Chico's. They never fail to have something for me.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:32 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,354,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The problem I have with dresses is because I am disproportionately top heavy, if the top part fits, the bottom part of the dress inevitably bags and sags. That's why a skirt/blouse combination is better. I like the remark the poster said about me finding clothes that work for me, not trying to mold myself to fit current trends.
hence my preference for separates too. i, too, have difficulty fitting into dresses. i'm not tall enough for most women's dress sizes, and barely fit into large/x-large juniors, but then those tend to have juvenile styles. i don't want to look trying too hard to look like a teenager, though i can probably get away with it haha!

i can have a ton more looks with separates than just dresses as well. i can wear one blouse with a skirt or pants, and have more options depending on the weather too.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:15 PM

31 posts, read 18,990 times
Hi Scoobysnacks,
Sun dresses, short skirts and shorts are best wardrobe for summer. ASOS is best store for buying all kinds of summer dresses.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty