Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times

Advertisements

I'm a 39 year old longtime poster and I have finally figured out I dress pretty lazily. I dress lazily because I have no clue about fashion for me. I'm looking to update my wardrobe with about 5 new summer outfits and I need some ideas. I don't know how to choose anything and all I wear are mid thigh length denim shorts, and loose cotton v-neck shirts with flip-flops or tennis shoes.

I am chesty, short (5'3"), wear an 8/10 petite pant/dress size, like to dress urban as I'm in Houston, prefer pants over dresses, but am not averse to a skirt, since skirts fit me better than dresses. I like solid colors better than patterns (bright colors or black are my favorites). I shop at Kohl's, Sears, or Penney's the rare times I shop. I don't want any more jeans or denim of any sort. I would like a couple of casual shopping outfits and some date night outfits suitable for hot weather. I would appreciate any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 10:39 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Sundresses are good date night outfits for hot weather. You should look for them at Ross, where they're cheaper than Khol's or Penney's. If you can get by with a strapless bra, halter top sundresses are really cute.

I know you don't want more denim, but a cute denim skirt can be as comfortable as your shorts but look dressier, even with your loose cotton v-necks...just add a couple of bracelets and maybe a necklace and you look more dressed up. A denim skirt is more versatile than a print skirt and more casual than a black skirt. In the summer, wear your denim skirt with sandals and make sure your toenails are painted.

Do you ever shop at thrift stores? If you're not completely opposed to the idea, it's a good way to get some new looks without spending a lot of money, and your size is easy to find at thrift stores.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:09 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Instead of t-shirts, substitute a lightweight blouse. Since you like red, that would go well with your existing denim. Make that your first step, and see how you like it. Then look for a navy skirt to switch out for your denim shorts. Get a blouse that looks good worn untucked, as well as tucked in, which will give you a little variety to a basic outfit. Also, a longer blouse worn untucked can be a slimming look. From there, look for another color blouse to go with the navy skirt: a shade of cool green (as opposed to a warm green/yellow-green), or lighter blue or possibly lavender. With those 3 items, you'll be off to a good start.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sundresses are good date night outfits for hot weather. You should look for them at Ross, where they're cheaper than Khol's or Penney's. If you can get by with a strapless bra, halter top sundresses are really cute.

I know you don't want more denim, but a cute denim skirt can be as comfortable as your shorts but look dressier, even with your loose cotton v-necks...just add a couple of bracelets and maybe a necklace and you look more dressed up. A denim skirt is more versatile than a print skirt and more casual than a black skirt. In the summer, wear your denim skirt with sandals and make sure your toenails are painted.

Do you ever shop at thrift stores? If you're not completely opposed to the idea, it's a good way to get some new looks without spending a lot of money, and your size is easy to find at thrift stores.
That is a good idea. Clothes get very expensive when you want to buy more than one outfit. I haven't been to the thrift shop in quite a long time, but we are fortunate enough to have many of them here in Houston. I do go to Ross and T.J. Maxx on occasion, and although I have found a lot of nice clothes for me there, for some odd reason the dresses there are usually very long lengths; their pants fit me better. They also have beautiful blouses and coats.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:02 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,007 times
Look into Stitch Fix. You get a personal stylist that does a custom look for you. Then they send you a box of outfits to try on every month. If you like them you keep them and if not you send it back.

Their website also has lots of tips on how to dress stylish.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:00 PM

219 posts, read 162,970 times
Knee length shorts and a loose blouse or a flowy, knee length skirt/pencil skirt and a blouse. You can do neutral colored pants and bright colored shirts.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
Knee length shorts and a loose blouse or a flowy, knee length skirt/pencil skirt and a blouse. You can do neutral colored pants and bright colored shirts.
I was thinking about pencil skirts too. My body style lends itself to those and the slim skirts makes short women appear taller.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:50 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
you can make every outfit more glamorous with nice shoes.

A boring pair of jeans and a tshirt suddenly look great if you have shoes with a bit of a heel.

I love flip flops and tennis shoes, BUT since you want to be more stylish, that's the first that needs to go...

Old 05-06-2016, 03:55 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
H&M has great clothes...very stylish AND inexpensive. I am older than you and much of my wardrobe came from there.

Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,398 times
As a guy, maybe I'm way off base, but what about applying the concept of "sprezzatura" - usually associated with men's style - to women's style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty