Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 11:28 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Why do we even care what other people do with their bras?
The OP gets grossed out by her own imagination, over-thinking what people's sweaty (as she imagines them) bras are like after a few days of wear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 12:19 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I only wash bras once a week, and if I wear one more than once, so be it.

I also wash my jeans only after several wearing.

Panties, t-shirts, camis, sports bras every day.

Oh, and you shouldn't wash a quality bra in the washing machine, it destroys the elastic. OTOH, VS bras are crap, moderately expensive crap but crap never the less.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:27 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
jeeze who is the blue blazes is spending 40 -50 dollars a bra ? go to wal mart and pick up a few and be done with it and when those wear out go and get some more . 50 bucks a bra ? no way I could afford that ever .
That's not a viable option for those who wear a nonstandard size. I've got 3 options:

1. Buy a bunch of cheap bras in the wrong size, and look and feel uncomfortable. Toss them after a few months when the elastic and cheap-o fabric wear out, and spend money on some more cheap, ill-fitting bras.
2. Buy a bunch of sports bras, and embrace the uni-boob look. But then what's the point of having a nice rack if it's squished down all the time?
3. Once per year, take a drive out to Nordstrom and use my christmas money to splurge on 2 or 3 fancy-pants European bras (since American size-runs do not accommodate skinny girls with big boobs), usually $70 a pop, and handle them with kid gloves for the next 365 days.

ETA: I usually hand-wash them after 2 wears

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 05-15-2016 at 12:42 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 12:37 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,788,219 times
I put a sports bra on the other day that accidentally got thrown in the drier. It had these pads that are supposed to make you look like you have lovely lady lumps (no nipples! Shameful, shameful nipples!) But the drier caused them to bunch all up, so it looked like I had multiple nipples like I was a Feline-American.

You know how hard those dang sports bras are to get ON, so I just took a scissors and cut a small hole in each cup and pulled the pads out because I am a very classy broad.

Lesson learned, though. No sports bras in the drier. Hand wash, hang it up to dry or end up with bunched up pads where your nipples are supposed to be.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:39 PM

370 posts, read 624,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
True...I always buy Victoria's Secret bras because, to me, they are the best. I don't mind cheaper clothing (for the most part), but I do splurge for good bras.

I usually wash mine in the washing machine on the "hand wash" cycle and drape them over my vanity chair to dry. I know I should hand wash, but I feel like they get cleaner in the washing machine than I could ever get them by hand. Plus, my washing machine seems to do a thorough yet gentle job..
Victoria's Secret bras are crap.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:48 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Natori. That is all.

Old 05-15-2016, 12:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The OP gets grossed out by her own imagination, over-thinking what people's sweaty (as she imagines them) bras are like after a few days of wear.
To be fair, that is not what OP explained later in the thread.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:09 PM

290 posts, read 366,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I'm with you there ladies. Honestly, I've never given this much thought at all. Count me in as someone who does not wash my bras every time I wear them. And I confidently wear outer clothing (e.g., pants, sweaters) many times between washings. If a piece of clothing is visibly dirty or odoriferous, into the machine it goes. Otherwise, I wear it again...and again...and again. One thing to note, though, is that I remove my day clothing as soon as I'm in for the night and hang it up to air out. Maybe that makes a difference.
We do this too. Many garments, not just bras, wear faster if they are laundered incessantly. I worked with a man who must have been 70. He aged out of physical jobs and was put on a desk job. Swore by putting his jeans in the freezer each day to air them out and washed them 6 or 7 times a year. I stood very close to him when discussing some task at various times and smelled nothing.

The only items that need to be changed daily are the ones rubbing right up on the parts of the body where malodorous sweat is produced: socks, tshirt or undershirt, underwear.

Old 05-15-2016, 01:30 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
This is the strangest fashion forum I have ever comes across how? How hard up on cash does someone have to be to feel that they need a pair of Jeans to last 7 years? Is the Great Depression on somewhere still in North American or is the extreme cheapskates version of a fashion forum? Wow. Absolutely bizzar!

Old 05-15-2016, 01:38 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,726,194 times
Default Poor hygien is a public health issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The world is not suffering if a bra doesn't get washed after a single wearing.

"Worn once" does not, in most cases, as relates to most clothing, necessarily equal "dirty."
Actually poor hygien is a public health issue. Also why should people who put effort in maintaining good hygien have to suffer by having smelly people around them. It always shocks me how people skimp in this area. Clothes are not meant to last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty