U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 07:42 PM

93 posts, read 59,296 times

Advertisements

Specifically for peasant women and queens. Also, do you think the way women applied makeup back then (at least for the women that could afford it) was much different than the way women do today?

Also for a bonus question: What about clothes today do you think women from way back then would most enjoy having?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 09:49 PM

17,568 posts, read 21,748,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
Specifically for peasant women and queens. Also, do you think the way women applied makeup back then (at least for the women that could afford it) was much different than the way women do today?

Also for a bonus question: What about clothes today do you think women from way back then would most enjoy having?

Horrible! I have acquaintance who is interested in Medieval Faires (SCA - society for creative anachronism) and the are beautiful to look at -but heavily structured, long sleeved, and worn with layers of petticoats, corsets etc.

ALSO-and this is gross -PEOPLE HAD FLEAS then!

They did wear makeup -usually things to make their skin look more pale.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:15 AM

25,344 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Royalty: generally uncomfortable and difficult to get on and off again without help, and with what they felt was good reason. It was proof that you never had to do any "work" yourself (except ordering the household), not even getting dressed - the hallmark of a true highborn lady.

The appliances used were also sometimes quite heavy. Stays, hoops, some headdresses and even thick brocade stomachers and certainly capes weighed quite a bit.

Peasant women necessarily had more comfort/movability (if you will) in their mode of dress as they had to physically work, and work hard, but fashions still might dictate, for example, corsets or breast flattening even among the peasantry. Quite a challenge while chasing pigs out of the woods for fall butchering, I'm sure.

We think it was all romance but a woman was primarily functional in many western countries throughout this entire period: she was a worker, a breeder or a dowry-bringer, or all three.

What modern clothing would such a woman like: royalty - probably something that actually let them breathe, yet served their vanity and status; ballgown/red carpet gown? Peasant: jeans!

Old 05-31-2016, 12:23 AM

Here's something interesting about makeup: Rosalie's Medieval Woman - Cosmetics

Old 05-31-2016, 05:23 AM

1,408 posts, read 1,156,712 times
Google searching clothes from former eras I found pictures of people that make period clothes. My one and only attempt has been a muslin sleeping gown made of a heavyweight muslin( brand folded factory closed) handsewn took me weeks and will last years. I sometimes wear it.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:19 AM

9,151 posts, read 6,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Horrible! I have acquaintance who is interested in Medieval Faires (SCA - society for creative anachronism) and the are beautiful to look at -but heavily structured, long sleeved, and worn with layers of petticoats, corsets etc.

ALSO-and this is gross -PEOPLE HAD FLEAS then!

They did wear makeup -usually things to make their skin look more pale.
Not only were the clothes heavy and ornate, but as I understand it the folks then didn't bathe very often, and they were infested with lice, had skin infections, you name it. They used heavy perfumes to cover up the smells.

I can only imagine the dress of the peasants was more practical, and maybe relatively more comfortable as it would not have been as ornate. But the cleanliness ( or lack of it), and infestation with vermin would have been the same.

What of today's clothing might these medieval folks have liked to have had?. Well, for the peasants I can imagine they'd have found blue jeans to be practical, long lasting and comfortable. The aristocracy? I don't know.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:32 AM

14,505 posts, read 11,481,746 times
Back in those times the ordinary people only wore poor materials and not ornate at all, in fact at one point in history colours were banned for peasants, only the rich or royals could wear strong colours and materials....all clothing was simple woven cloth sometimes wool but coarse...

Old 05-31-2016, 06:45 AM

34,541 posts, read 42,708,506 times
There is a very interesting footage on the first Outlander DVD about the costuming for the series. They have tried to be very authentic.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:07 AM

10,860 posts, read 18,883,731 times
I would guess that in colder climates, the many layers of clothing helped to keep a woman warm. Imagine wearing coarsely woven fabrics in a house without window glass and which probably wasn't made as airtight as houses now. A couple layers of petticoats would keep you warmer than a single layer, especially before underwear became commonly used.

There are a lot of things used in modern clothing that would have made clothing more comfortable and easier to wear...zippers, snaps, velcro, elastic, spandex in fabrics.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Back in those times the ordinary people only wore poor materials and not ornate at all, in fact at one point in history colours were banned for peasants, only the rich or royals could wear strong colours and materials....all clothing was simple woven cloth sometimes wool but coarse...

Certain colors - purple and in some periods, red, for example - but it's a myth that the poor wore drab-colored clothes. They used plant dyes and could be quite colorful.

Certain dyes were harder to make or maintain. Black, for example, was hard to wash out and if a person was well to do enough to own black clothes, these would be washed less often and might need to be pulled apart and re-dyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or