Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM

19 posts, read 46,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
I used it for a long time and it worked pretty well and then ,for some reason, when I moved to Florida it got worse. WAY worse. So i had to discontinue it. I have, since, gone to the dermatologist and am inm the process of trying differin and some other stuff. I used proactiv for about....... 1 1/2 I think. I ordered it pretty much when it first came out.

I used it when i was younger and it worked wonders. I had no problems with my skin for 3-4 years and then i moved to Fl too and i had terrible breakouts again. I've tried all different products from a dermatoligist, but none worked more than a month. The best that i have found so far is sold at Bath and Body works. Its called Acnescription Collection by Patricia Wexler M.D. It cleared my face up in a matter of weeks and its very inexpensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 03:16 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,267,109 times
Pro Activ is a good solution for guys but for girls I think if acne does not clear up either Accutane or the birth control pill are better solutions. I went on Orthocyclen four years ago and now my skin care is anti aging instead of anti acne.

The ProActiv vending machine is very cool.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:29 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,921,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catrinac View Post
Pro Activ is a good solution for guys but for girls I think if acne does not clear up either Accutane or the birth control pill are better solutions. I went on Orthocyclen four years ago and now my skin care is anti aging instead of anti acne.

The ProActiv vending machine is very cool.
Birth control!! This is part of the reason why I'm using Retin A today. Acne was rarely ever a problem for me during teenage years and practically non-existent when I was on the pill. But I was one of the few people that developed long lasting melasma (even after going off of it). I had a few patches near my chin and cheeks- very small but noticeable. Eventually it did fade but I still have traces of it. My dermatologist said the treatment should help with my melasma as well.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 AM

531 posts, read 1,739,541 times
I have used Pro-activ in the past. It did get rid of blemishes,but it also dried my skin and caused peeling so I had to discontinue it. For over-the-counter, Neutrogena makes good products (at least for me). I like their facial wash especially.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:29 AM

283 posts, read 523,518 times
My son has real bad acne, we tried everything from Pro-Active to going to a dermatologist. Nothing worked, got a little better, but never completely went away. A friend told me about lemons. Yep, lemons you buy in the grocery store. Cut one up like you'd use in a glass of tea or something. After washing your face, just rub the lemon on it. Couple of days, face is much better. Plus it's a lot cheaper than all those other products.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 AM

979 posts, read 3,821,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uma313 View Post
I used it when i was younger and it worked wonders. I had no problems with my skin for 3-4 years and then i moved to Fl too and i had terrible breakouts again. I've tried all different products from a dermatoligist, but none worked more than a month. The best that i have found so far is sold at Bath and Body works. Its called Acnescription Collection by Patricia Wexler M.D. It cleared my face up in a matter of weeks and its very inexpensive.
Really?! Thanks for the advice. That mirrors my issue too. I went to the dermatologist and have been using some stuff. It has been working a bit but I just want my face back to normal! I'll have to try that stuff and see how it works. Thanks. What the heck is it about Florida?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,128,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuziSu View Post
What the heck is it about Florida?
Florida is very humid. The moisture from the air collects on your face; added with the natural oiliness of some women's faces with dirt that you collect from even walking outside is a formula for bad breakouts.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:33 AM

979 posts, read 3,821,447 times
Well i do factor that in but. I was always thinking possibly the water is diff or something, I dunno. Because even in the winter these breakouts are just as bad!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM

40 posts, read 272,677 times
I have used it and absolutely loved it! One of the things I liked was that a little bit goes a long way. My brother came to visit and I noticed he had acne so I bought him Proactive. After a couple of weeks you could really see the difference it made. I would recommend it

Old 03-03-2008, 06:03 AM

98 posts, read 372,940 times
Does Proactiv still come in that stomach-turning smell? I remember I couldn't sit next to people who were using that product as it made me nauseous, and guilty... because it prohibited me from sympathizing with acne sufferers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty