Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 10:18 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

You're missing the point, OP. Those clothes were RADICAL, coming after the Victorian era! Look at the length of the skirts: they're showing not only ankle *gasp*, but calves!! And the dresses have necklines that show the neck and collarbone, and a little below that, rather than the Victorian high collars for daytime. There's even a sleeveless dress in the 1st pic. And the Charleston dance craze was all about showing leg, and waving it around. It probably drove men wild. In the 2nd photo, the skirts are almost up to the knee. Scandalous!

Context is everything. lol It's all a matter of perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 10:33 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,721,454 times
Default Great Gatsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoznots View Post
I watched a video of fashion from different time periods and I think the 20s were the worst. It was so VERY unfeminine. For one, women would purposely wear baggy clothes and cutting their hair short was "in". Not to mention they would tape their breasts down to try to flatten and get more of a "boys" look.

http://web.studenti.math.pmf.unizg.h...t-rock-org.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a0fb30f455.jpg

I certainly feel bad for any young men back in those days having to see women look so "boyish" and unfeminine.
It looked better in The Great Gatsby movie.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:53 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,754,932 times
Agreed!!! The fashion from the 20s was absolutely horrendous! And the thing is, during the first half of the 20s, fashion was still very costumey. Skirts and dresses were still very long and women still wore granny boots. And then that was replaced by the styles of the latter 20s which gave women a shapeless look. Ugh! And the heels were tacky also -- they were named after one of the former kings of France (Louis XIV, I believe). The overall vibe of the 20s was cool (flappers, the jazz music, the wild dances like the Charleston...). But the fashion was awful.

The fashion from the 30s on the other hand was just...wow! The evening dresses in particular were breathtaking.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:13 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're missing the point, OP. Those clothes were RADICAL, coming after the Victorian era! Look at the length of the skirts: they're showing not only ankle *gasp*, but calves!! And the dresses have necklines that show the neck and collarbone, and a little below that, rather than the Victorian high collars for daytime. There's even a sleeveless dress in the 1st pic. And the Charleston dance craze was all about showing leg, and waving it around. It probably drove men wild. In the 2nd photo, the skirts are almost up to the knee. Scandalous!
^^^
The 20's had a very big impact in women's lives. Women were allowed to vote in 1920 and it was
during the 20's where changes were being made in their homes, at work and their education.

And women started to wear pants. Some more examples of fashion (and I think some still
look good today)

1920s Fashion: Icons Who Defined Twenties Style | Marie Claire

Old 06-18-2016, 09:11 AM

79 posts, read 156,140 times
I LOVE 20's-era fashion. My favorite decade for fashion hands-down.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:05 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
I actually like many of the 20 fashions (though my favorite is Edwardian - think "Titanic"). This is also the time many new fashion houses were started - Chanel, Lanvin, Schiaparelli, and lots more. As someone said, the beadwork was beautifully done.

This link leads to some interesting info on fashion in the 20s, plus a better representation of the styles than the black & white photo OP showed.

History of Womens Fashion - 1920 to 1929 | Glamourdaze

Old 06-18-2016, 11:32 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,861,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoznots View Post
I watched a video of fashion from different time periods and I think the 20s were the worst. It was so VERY unfeminine. For one, women would purposely wear baggy clothes and cutting their hair short was "in". Not to mention they would tape their breasts down to try to flatten and get more of a "boys" look.

http://web.studenti.math.pmf.unizg.h...t-rock-org.jpg
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a0fb30f455.jpg

I certainly feel bad for any young men back in those days having to see women look so "boyish" and unfeminine.
The women weren't dressing of the men, but for themselves. I love these fashions.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:14 PM

714 posts, read 721,686 times
I wonder if the original poster is male?

If so, isn't judging women who are long dead because they aren't candy to the male gaze kind of harsh? :-D

Old 06-18-2016, 04:20 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
I rather like the 1920s styles. And not everyone then was a flapper. That style was for the very young.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:52 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,385,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Context is everything. lol It's all a matter of perspective.
Yes, and they also had sheer dresses made of lace. Very scandalous. My great grandmother was a teen before skirts were shortened. She was greatly relieved to not have to wear corsets, petticoats, etc...although she used to wear racy red petticoats. All the boys liked that, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty