Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:57 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times

Advertisements

I posted a long time ago about this and got some good answers but lost the thread and can't find it.

I have illness that has caused my legs to look horrible with red and brown spots. I have so many dresses and shorts I can't wear now. I can't tan anymore or go in the sun.

Does anyone know a good cover up make up that is non toxic (preferably not tested on animals) and doesn't smudge? Obviously that covers up well also. I know thats asking for a lot but open to other ideas. I rather not wear pants all the time in the heat and yes I do have a few long dresses but so many shorter ones I'd like to wear. Thanks.

Last edited by Global Friend; 06-22-2016 at 05:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Scar Cover Up

Is it this perhaps?

Old 06-18-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Scar Cover Up

Is it this perhaps?

Actually, quite a few people had chimed in with products. Wish I could find the old thread but thank you. I will check this one out. It seems a bit out of my price range but going to read details, maybe it is the best option.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:44 PM

24,542 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Have you spoken with a dermatologist?

Old 06-22-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Have you spoken with a dermatologist?
Yes, of course. I see a lot of drs for health issues and the couple that can answer any skin question all said it cant be fixed. So, I need cover up.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:07 AM

24,542 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Yes, of course. I see a lot of drs for health issues and the couple that can answer any skin question all said it cant be fixed. So, I need cover up.
Some of them work with cosmetologists specializing in medical make up.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
Dermablend is supposed to be the best. Makeup

Have you tried a gradual sunless tanner? It wouldn't cover marks completely but it can help blend everything and make the marks less noticeable, and you wouldn't have to worry as much about it smearing or staining clothes (once it was dry) as you might about makeup. You would still need to protect your legs from sunlight.

My sister had a health condition that left purple and red marks all over her legs. Most went away eventually, except for some that had broken open and formed ulcers. Those left deep scars, which filled in and flattened out and faded over time. It's been 10 years since she had a really bad flare-up and her legs and feet are looking great now. So don't assume that you'll have the marks forever, it could get better with time.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Here's your old thread

Leg Cover Up

Old 06-29-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Some of them work with cosmetologists specializing in medical make up.
Thanks but last thing I need is more medical rx that costs a lot and doesn't work. Been down that road so many times but thanks anyway. There are cover ups that workand dont require a dr involved, I'm just trying to get those names of products.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Dermablend is supposed to be the best. Makeup

Have you tried a gradual sunless tanner? It wouldn't cover marks completely but it can help blend everything and make the marks less noticeable, and you wouldn't have to worry as much about it smearing or staining clothes (once it was dry) as you might about makeup. You would still need to protect your legs from sunlight.

My sister had a health condition that left purple and red marks all over her legs. Most went away eventually, except for some that had broken open and formed ulcers. Those left deep scars, which filled in and flattened out and faded over time. It's been 10 years since she had a really bad flare-up and her legs and feet are looking great now. So don't assume that you'll have the marks forever, it could get better with time.
Thanks. I'll look into Dermablend. No tanners or bronzers work...they make spots worse. I have tried all of these things before I posted. Just need like a leg make up or cover up that people have used and it worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Here's your old thread

Leg Cover Up
Thank you so much! I can always find old threads but couldnt find this one. Wow, I forgot how nasty some people are. Amazing how difficult it is to get answers and the nasty people to just butt out.
Thanks for your help.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Cover Mark. It was the first scar cover cream invented.

covermark.com

OP, I hope you find something that works for you. I know how scars can bring out the meanness in people. I've had several surgeries on my knees, feet and ankles, along with my hands. The surgeries were years ago and the scars have faded to thin, white lines---my skin is fair, so they almost blend in. However, they attract attention, even now.

At first, the scars were long, red marks, with the crossstiches. I was told not to let it bother me. Well, its didn't bother me so much it bothered other people. I simply wasn't prepared for the reactions I got. The looks, stares, giggles, were bad enough. But the "in-your-face" comments were more than a young lady of 22 could handle. I would have people come right up to me and literally demand to know all about it, along with treating me like I was cognitively impaired--ie, stupid! I learned quickly to adjust my wardrobe to long pants, capris, and long skirts and long sleeves. No matter how hot it got, I simply refused to wear shorts, least I attract a crowd.

However, I couldn't cover up my hands, at least not much of the time. I would be doing something with my hands, like writing out a check, or signing a form, or even tying my shoes, and it provoked a remark 98% of the time. Oh, my goodness, what happened to you? It was pointless to ignore the rude questions, they would keep on asking until you answered. Or, assume I was deaf, or mentally impaired, and turn to whoever was with me to ask the same questions. Such people could not be put off, they wanted their questions answered. I found if I gave a brief answer---I had surgery---they would expect more answers---what type of surgery? When? Why?.....

The scars faded in time, the redness went away, and, like I said, they are barely visible, faint lines. However, they are still visible and some people feel it necessary to point it out and demand answers!

I now live in Texas, and the summers are brutal. That, along with the heat intolerance created by menopause and the meds I take, I can't go around bundled up in long pants and long sleeves to not attract some goon's attention. I've taken to wearing "walking shorts" they are sort of Bermuda length, almost like a skirt, hits just at knee length. There again, I'm told I'm "too sensitive". Its not like I'm walking up and down with a sign saying scars, ask all about it. I'm just going about my business, and don't look like a fashion model.

Ok, with the "walk shorts" they ride up while seated, which reveals my "secret". We were at Disneyworld with my kids about 5 years ago, seated waiting for a show to begin. It was stadium-type seating. A Disney employee got right behind me, in a situation I couldn't move away, and started making all sorts of comments about my scars. The scars were 20+ years old, and barely visible. I couldn't shake her, she simply refused to go away, I ended up in tears and leaving the show. That's the type of attention you risk when you expose a scar, no matter how minor.

Unfortunately, scar cover up creams don't work for surgical scars. At least, when I last looked, they didn't. What I was told was that surgical scars are a different type of skin than regular skin. Essentially, such scar don't have pores, so they don't adhere to creams, etc. I still tried various creams, including CoverMark, but they just didn't work. They actually highlighted the scar by sinking into the skin around the scar.

Over the years, the scars have faded---but not to the point they don't bother some people and the rest of my hide has thickened. At the age of 62, I'm more able to anticipate and handle such remarks. Like I said, I consider such people to be some sort of "goon" to chase someone down, get in their face, and demand to know all about it!

I don't mean to hijack this thread, other than to vent, and let OP know others have been in her situation. Even if you don't care about the scars, others do, and there are times you just can't take it. Wearing long clothing to cover up is not always pleasant in hot climates. OP, I hope you find something that works for your type of scar. Most scars can be hidden with some type of product, as long as it isn't a surgical scar.

However, this thread does intrigue me. I've given up long ago on trying to hide my scars, and, indeed, they are just about invisible. But perhaps there's something new out there? I might see a dermatologist to see if there's some type of RX scar cream, who knows? Thanks for starting this thread, OP, and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty