Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 10:23 AM

18 posts, read 19,840 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s, I don't remember seeing too many guys wearing flip flops or sandals. This seems to have changed in the last decade or two.

I grew up wearing gym shoes and socks with shorts, never wore any kind of sandals unless I went to the beach.

My girlfriend bought me some nice leather flip flops recently and I have to admit I liked them...much more comfortable than the flip flops I remembered from the 80s...or the sneakers I normally wear.

As much as I like them, I feel kinda funny wearing them out in public though so I've restricted their use to running a quick errand.....and then I hope nobody sees me wearing them lol even though my girlfriend assures me they look good on me.

I haven't quite pulled the trigger on wearing them to a BBQ, for example, or similar social occasion. She suggested wearing them to a cookout the other day but I chickened out lol. I don't think anyone outside of immediate family has ever seen my feet and nobody has seen me wearing open toed shoes. It's not like there is anything terribly wrong with my feet, just not used to showing them.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing or is there still a stigma against guys wearing sandals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 10:40 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
wh do americans have such hang ups when it comes to what men are wearing?

time for america to grow up already and get over it.

if you like sandals or flip flops wear them. you dont have to justify yourself to anyone

Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Wear whatever you wanna wear.

I think they look kinda gay if you are not on the beach but who cares what I think?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:19 AM

813 posts, read 601,011 times
Some guys aren't masculine enough to wear them. If it threatens your self-image, don't wear them, personally, I wear whatever I feel like wearing.

Rg

Old 06-28-2016, 11:22 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo5427 View Post
When I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s, I don't remember seeing too many guys wearing flip flops or sandals. This seems to have changed in the last decade or two.

I grew up wearing gym shoes and socks with shorts, never wore any kind of sandals unless I went to the beach.

My girlfriend bought me some nice leather flip flops recently and I have to admit I liked them...much more comfortable than the flip flops I remembered from the 80s...or the sneakers I normally wear.

As much as I like them, I feel kinda funny wearing them out in public though so I've restricted their use to running a quick errand.....and then I hope nobody sees me wearing them lol even though my girlfriend assures me they look good on me.

I haven't quite pulled the trigger on wearing them to a BBQ, for example, or similar social occasion. She suggested wearing them to a cookout the other day but I chickened out lol. I don't think anyone outside of immediate family has ever seen my feet and nobody has seen me wearing open toed shoes. It's not like there is anything terribly wrong with my feet, just not used to showing them.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing or is there still a stigma against guys wearing sandals?
yes, wear what you want and tell society to stay out of your closet

Old 06-28-2016, 11:57 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Wear whatever you wanna wear.

I think they look kinda gay if you are not on the beach but who cares what I think?

this is EXACTLY the mentality I was referring to.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times
It's really hot here and plenty of men wear them all the time.

Wearing sandals with socks doesn't look good. Wearing athletic shoes with socks that show isn't in style anymore. But flip flops in hot weather are practical and comfortable.

About people outside of your family seeing your feet, feet are just feet. If you take decent care of them (cut the nails, keep them clean and smooth) then they look just like everyone else's feet in the world, and there's nothing weird about wearing shoes that show them.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:13 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
I find it more common to see guys wearing the "outdoorsy" light hiking/rafting-style sandals, like Tevas and their ilk. Not so much flip flop style.

Keep your feet clean and groomed and not looking all sasquatchy, and wear what you want.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:16 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
[/u][/b]

this is EXACTLY the mentality I was referring to.
I know!!!

Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 PM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Flip Flops are the State Shoe of Florida. Everyone wears them, anywhere, anytime, and men included. Women wear dressy Flip Flops with Evening Gowns!

I have lived in Florida for 10 years and after all this time of wearing them year round, my TOES need a break. I put on regular sandals or just go barefoot in the house.

My (old) husband will not wear flip flops. He doesn't even wear sandals. Athletic shoes and socks. I do not now how men in Florida's HOT Summers can wear shoes and socks. My feet sweat like crazy in Heat Indexes of 100 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty