Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 01:27 PM

302 posts, read 230,452 times

Advertisements

When I went to my 20 year the party popular type of girls looked like they aged more simply because I think they drank more and suntanned more. I think girls who stayed out of the sun and away from the party lifestyle tend to age better.

So personally I think its a lifestyle choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2016, 01:41 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I don't know about "boredom" or being unaware, but your statement is generally true, in my opinion. The girl-next-door types usually age a bit more gracefully. I guess that being "above-average", as opposed to "stunning", has more longevity. The next-door types often have better personalities, anyway..
Eh. I think there are assumptions and stereotypes addressed here that aren't universal, as is the case with most stereotypes. There may be some truth to said bias, but it's not an inherent truth.

Also, many seem to conflate "hot" with beauty and aesthetics. "Hot" often describes a process one goes through to enhance their looks from cute, pretty or even beautiful to sexy. It often includes beauty routines and clothing to match. Again, a process is involved in order to look hot. There are "hot" people who may not be so hot (or good-looking) without said process, and even people with natural beauty have to go through a process to get that characteristic "hot" look.

In any case, I remember the "hot" girls in school who looked and dressed the part of the "hot girl." Some were naturally very beautiful, others, less so. And then I knew girls who were naturally pretty or beautiful that did not subscribe to the "hot girl" routine.

My mother is stunning, and she was not part of the cool kids or mean/hot girls clubs. She was introverted, bookish, shy, friendly, and had a core group of a few friends. She was gorgeous then, and she's still gorgeous now, but she was not a "hot girl." And there are others in my family who are similar. My older cousin was gorgeous and a "hot girl," and she's still gorgeous at 36.

I wasn't the "hot girl." I had neither the personality or desire for this routine and process, but I wasn't a "girl next door" type, either. Also, "hot girls" where I lived in So Cal were often cheerleader and popular types. Many were blonde, spunky and very outgoing. Yeah... that ain't me.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:46 PM

302 posts, read 230,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Eh. I think there are assumptions and stereotypes addressed here that aren't universal, as is the case with most stereotypes. There may be some truth to said bias, but it's not an inherent truth.

Also, many seem to conflate "hot" with beauty and aesthetics. "Hot" often describes a process one goes through to enhance their looks from cute, pretty or even beautiful to sexy. It often includes beauty routines and clothing to match. Again, a process is involved in order to look hot. There are "hot" people who may not be so hot (or good-looking) without said process, and even people with natural beauty have to go through a process to get that characteristic "hot" look.

In any case, I remember the "hot" girls in school who looked and dressed the part of the "hot girl." Some were naturally very beautiful, others, less so. And then I knew girls who were naturally pretty or beautiful that did not subscribe to the "hot girl" routine.

My mother is stunning, and she was not part of the cool kids or mean/hot girls clubs. She was introverted, bookish, shy, friendly, and had a core group of a few friends. She was gorgeous then, and she's still gorgeous now, but she was not a "hot girl." And there are others in my family who are similar. My older cousin was gorgeous and a "hot girl," and she's still gorgeous at 36.

I wasn't the "hot girl." I had neither the personality or desire for this routine and process, but I wasn't a "girl next door" type, either. Also, "hot girls" where I lived in So Cal were often cheerleader and popular types. Many were blonde, spunky and very outgoing. Yeah... that ain't me.
Totally agree. I know some girls who would spend hours on hair and makeup to make themselves into the image or mirage to be a hot girl. Later in life I think it stands out more who has natural beauty vs. manufactured looks. Aging isn't as kind to girls who fake it.

I didn't wear much makeup and went for more of the natural look. I wasn't really interested in boys my age as most of them were really immature. So I might of had more of standoffish attitude as I didn't fall down and worship guys. LOL.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:50 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,834,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Yet another thread dedicated to tearing women down based on their looks. How sad.
I mentioned my husband's male high school mates looking old :-)

Women ARE judged on their looks even when they are powerful CEO's but society is also judging men on their looks now too. More men are getting plastic surgery because it is important in their careers to look younger than their age.

Have you ever seen movies from the 40's and people say they are 40 and they look waaaay older, like 60. Times have really changed with looks vs age.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:56 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
That's true, and I think the biggest factor when it comes to looking younger in middle age is having a baby face. Even with a few wrinkles here and there, baby-faced women always look younger than they are.
Or, having good genetics, taking care of yourself, not overdoing the baking-in-the-sun routine, not smoking and indulging in excess extracurricular adult activities, etc., etc. I know women who look really great past their middle 30s that do not have baby faces.

No doubt, genetics, and with that, ethnicity, can play a role in how women (and men) age.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:12 PM

604 posts, read 617,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son in law says that you have to look at a girl's mother, in order to find out how she will age.
He is hitting on you !

Old 07-02-2016, 03:03 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffries View Post
After attending my high school reunion one thing to me that I noticed was that the girls back then that would be considered "hot babes"... Really haven't aged that well. But the more traditional girl next door women really still look great.
Stress.
Lack of general intelligence.
Bad Relationships (and far too many of them).
Obnoxiously under-parented children with ambiguous fathers.
Crappy jobs.
Drugs.
Alcohol.
Cigarettes.
Bad Tattoos.
Too much time in the sun.

All of these things take their toll and many of the problems lead into another. I'm not saying that all "hot" women engage in these behaviors or poor lifestyle choices, but many sure do seem to engage in a lot of them.

Eventually they end up getting too old and/or too emotionally vapid to be worth the next sucker's time or effort....or the money.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:37 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
That is true about Mary Ann and Ginger, but you can't really count celebs. With a lot of them they look so old because of all the surgeries and implants they had done in an effort to look young for so long. My SIL had a face lift. She looked great for a while and then gravity took over and she looked worse than before her surgery.

Sally Field looks great and she's in her 70s. Meg Ryan, not so much.

I agree about Meg Ryan, but Sally Field had work. Her neck was terrible until she got a lift.

Old 07-02-2016, 03:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,899,017 times
I would say most of the women who were hot in HS are still hot today if not hotter. That is to say the one's who were at least somewhat athletic back then have carried that life habit their entire lives.

The hot ones by youthful genetics alone without the habit of daily exercise where the ones that got clobbered by the metabolism shift later in life.

We all hear about the average girl who got really attractive later in life. Can't see an instance where that has happened in my class. Hotties still hot

Old 07-02-2016, 03:49 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My son in law says that you have to look at a girl's mother, in order to find out how she will age.
My mom told me that too, but my wife looks and acts great at 66 and her mother was horrible, so I'm glad I didn't listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty