Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2016, 08:10 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,767,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
A "purse" is not the same as a "designer bag".
Yes, it is.

Pohtayto Potahto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 08:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If you purchase a bag for $2000 and use it for 5 years and sell it for $2000, you have still made a profit. You got 5 years use for free.
I'm tempted to be snarky and ask how Chanel bags (not purses) perform relative to the S&P 500 if they're such a great investment. When it comes to consumer goods that may or may not have a decent resale value, I'd just say you bought it because you wanted it and if it happens to hold or increase in value, that's a bonus. Until you sell it for X dollars, it's a sunk cost and the only return is your enjoyment.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soy sauce View Post
I'd buy my girl a 1:1 replica for a fraction of the price and go on a great vacation.
Forgeries are a HUGE business and many are walking around not realizing they have one.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's not just a book about a bag.
It's about the adventures of this guy as he figures out and works the system.
And it's well written.

It's akin to reading a book about someone climbing a mountain or that Julie And Julia book, etc.
The process makes it interesting.

Also, I may be weird, but I like to be informed on things, whether or not they really interest me. Does that make sense? If someone can make it fun to read about and learn about a handbag or walking the Appalachian trail, etc, I will read the book.
It makes sense to me.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:02 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
I already own it.

It is my grandmother's black Alligator Hermes Kelly bag. She paid $200 for it in the 1960s and it is now worth upwards of $30,000 according to Hermes.

FWIW, you cannot walk into Hermes and buy a Birkin. They only sell them to very, very, rich, good customers or very famous customers. Even Victoria Beckham had to buy them for years from Michael Tonello.

If you aren't the above you must buy it on the secondhand market.

To all of you pooh, poohing those people that do buy expensive designer bags, just because you don't or won't, please don't try to negate those who can afford and do. It isn't a good look.

Last edited by blueherons; 07-06-2016 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
I'd buy my girl a 1:1 replica for a fraction of the price and go on a great vacation.
on your own soy... haha

Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
My favorite handbag was $6. I was in Walmart one day just browsing and saw a red, white, and blue cloth handbag on sale. I bought it thinking I could use it on the Fourth of July. This was years ago. I found it was exactly the right size, held things inside well and later found I could just throw it in the washer when it got dirty. Then I dry it, iron it and it is ready to be my favorite again. I have lots of designer bags but that will be my favorite as long as it holds together. It has only one piece of metal which is what snaps it together. Wish I could find some more like it in different colors.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:12 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. As for the logo thing, I won't buy a designer bag with its initials plastered all over it. My lone Coach just has the one Coach logo on the top and the inside Coach creed. I like the Botkier bags because they are only identifiable by their removable metal hangtag and a sewn in label on the inside. They have no attached outside label.
Coach isn't really a designer bag, more like a higher end brand (except for those horrible logo'd things) like Hartman or Tumi luggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I have high-end and low-end in my closet, nothing in between. I carry my Prada Saffiano tote to work mostly. And that's only because I walk to work, it doesn't even go on the subway with me. When I'm on my own time I carry canvas shopping bags and cheap crossbody styles that are around $20. But I ditched the Coach, Kate Spade, etc. awhile ago. My feeling with bags is you either go all the way or stay cheap.
That's a shame.

I bought my Prada backpack in 1994 for $300 from Prada, sold it in 2001 for $150 and turned around and rolled that money into the larger messenger bag.

Both lived with me on the subway and all over the city while I had my corporate apartment on across from Carnegie Hall. They were able to hold my makeup, wallet, extra pair of shoes (day to night), umbrella, Hermes scarf, and all the stuff I schlepped around the city.

My messenger bag is still in fantastic shape and it is my bag that I use when I travel. It has literally been all over the world.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
When she gets it authenticated behind your back prepare for the result. Woman do it all the time.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:43 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I'm tempted to be snarky and ask how Chanel bags (not purses) perform relative to the S&P 500 if they're such a great investment. When it comes to consumer goods that may or may not have a decent resale value, I'd just say you bought it because you wanted it and if it happens to hold or increase in value, that's a bonus. Until you sell it for X dollars, it's a sunk cost and the only return is your enjoyment.
My wife sells her Dior and LV bags when she "upgrades" to something better. She is currently selling one of her Dior bags that was just replaced by a Chanel bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty