U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-08-2017, 08:58 PM
 
410 posts, read 127,773 times
Reputation: 668

Advertisements

Some "bitter" people in this thread...lol

People can spend money on what they want. Who are you to say what is "frivolous" or not? What would you say if I said someone who chooses to be "stingy" or "tight" with their money but has a million dollars in the bank "STUPID"? You would probably say I'm wrong for that....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-08-2017, 09:59 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles
3,701 posts, read 1,211,268 times
Reputation: 5613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
No, I didn't read it because I have common sense. As I said, if you're a millionaire go and buy what you want. It won't effect your money. For you common people buying (I'm common too), this is a waste. You be owning real investments such as properties, stocks, ect. Not a purse that isn't worth the price. It's leather. It comes from a cow. They're doing magic on it. The same kind of cow that can make a 100 dollar purse is the making the 2,000 dollar one. You're being hoodwinked.


Not really. Leather quality varies depending on the part of the hide it's taken from, and how it is treated and finished. A cow can give you both flank steak and tenderloin. Same animal but the end results are totally different. No one expects their filet mignon to cost the same as a McDonald quarter-pounder.

Leather 101: The Different Types of Leather - BestLeather.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 PM
 
27 posts, read 15,718 times
Reputation: 101
I know next to nothing about handbags and likely never will. Just wanted to say this has been a fun thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2017, 05:14 AM
 
10,355 posts, read 7,183,852 times
Reputation: 14681
As usual, I'm late to the party. I don't have any big time designer bags, but I do have a classic leather coach that I've had for ten years that still looks new, and a fun Kate Spade in a frivolous spring green.

Oh, a tip on keeping those leather bags looking great? Vitamin E oil. You can get it cheap at the health food places. Works better than the leather conditioners.

You know which bags I just do not get? Louis Vitton. They are ugly to me, and they are counterfeited so often that I just assume that every one I see is a fake unless I know the person. Some status symbol. And people have to be buying them for status because while I know they are well made, a brown bag with a bunch of LVs all over it just isn't that stylish in itself.

Oh, as to the OP's question, I'd like a Burberry tote and maybe a coach or other leather computer bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 11:43 AM
 
Location: The Crocheted Cauldron
33,371 posts, read 30,385,744 times
Reputation: 56497
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
You know nothing about my financial situation OR how much I spent on bags. You also don't know whether I "leave them in the closet."
You are the prime example of someone who responds bitterly and unnecessarily nastily to what is someone else's personal decision. "Frivolous items... show off their wealth... *I want to live like the attention hungry celebrities* syndrome." What's truly pathetic is your response, not what I choose to spend my money on. The bold in particular is a perfect example of an unnecessarily snarky response.
I could be as a snarky as you in my response, but I will choose to be the adult here.
Whatever you believe must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 PM
 
Location: North Shore Long Island
7,698 posts, read 12,618,536 times
Reputation: 10380
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
As usual, I'm late to the party. I don't have any big time designer bags, but I do have a classic leather coach that I've had for ten years that still looks new, and a fun Kate Spade in a frivolous spring green.

Oh, a tip on keeping those leather bags looking great? Vitamin E oil. You can get it cheap at the health food places. Works better than the leather conditioners.

You know which bags I just do not get? Louis Vitton. They are ugly to me, and they are counterfeited so often that I just assume that every one I see is a fake unless I know the person. Some status symbol. And people have to be buying them for status because while I know they are well made, a brown bag with a bunch of LVs all over it just isn't that stylish in itself.

Oh, as to the OP's question, I'd like a Burberry tote and maybe a coach or other leather computer bag.

In regards to the bold, LV makes a lot more bags than just their canvas lines and generally they're more expensive, but the difference is the average person wouldn't even notice them unless they're into handbags/fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 PM
 
Location: North Shore Long Island
7,698 posts, read 12,618,536 times
Reputation: 10380
I never thought I'd be into Chanel bags, but there are a few styles that have caught my eye. I'm liking the boy bag a lot.

I tend to use my Bal clutches or a First for when I go out in the evening or I'm dressed up, but I'd like to get something that's a little more polished looking, plus the option of hanging it off of my shoulder. That's where the Chanels come in for me.

There are a lot of other purses that I like the looks of, but they look so heavy without anything even in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:26 PM
 
929 posts, read 282,178 times
Reputation: 1902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eevee17 View Post
I don't either. I don't think the OP should use words like investment for a depreciating item. The minute you buy that purse, it's worth less than what you paid for it. That's why those bags are for rich people. The 20-30 i spend on a purse is like them spending 2-3,000. It's chump change for them.
By some of the handles being used on here, I remember the names in the purse forum.

Very few over there got that purses were NOT investment. Of course average age for the truly obsessed was 25. Mostly Asians. To where they would have threads 'Asians and the Hermes etc."

The older ladies talked about other things than purses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 01:49 PM
 
2,844 posts, read 1,213,900 times
Reputation: 6406
A while back I came across this gorgeous periwinkle Hermes Birkin that if I could track down today I would buy it without thinking twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

I have about 30+ bags that will outlast me and a couple more generations and they cost $59.00 tax included. So you go on and spend that $2000.00+ dollars on one handbag to leave in the closet and see how much it is worth when the mortgage is due and your bank won't accept an investment handbag because they want real money.
It wouldn't matter because I don't have a mortgage I can't pay, I don't spend money I don't have. I would never support someone spending money they don't have, but if they can afford it, why do you care?

Heck, even if they can't afford it but aren't asking you to pay their bills why do you care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
PS ~~ Many who are wealthy are that way and continue to be that way because they do not spend insane amounts of money on frivilous items. They live in modest homes, drive older modest vehicles,
wear non name brand clothing and do not have the need to show off their wealth to impress anyone.
Most of them you would not even know they are wealthy so your idea of what the wealthy spend money on is not actual fact, it is part of *I want to live like the attention hungry celebrties* syndrome.
Frivolous is incredibly subjective and assuming people only buy expensive things to impress others, is just that, an assumption.

Some wealthy people spend little money, some wealthy people spend a lot of money. Who cares? The wealthy people certainly don't give a **** what you think.

Believe it or not, some people buy expensive things because they like them, not to impress anyone else. If you're going to judge me based off the purse I carry, the car I drive or the clothes I wear, that's not someone I'd want for a friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2017, 02:07 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
24,089 posts, read 23,279,707 times
Reputation: 21463
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
In regards to the bold, LV makes a lot more bags than just their canvas lines and generally they're more expensive, but the difference is the average person wouldn't even notice them unless they're into handbags/fashion.
I love the Alma in epi leather! Super classic bag. There are some other shapes I don't know the name of. But the Alma in epi is a maybe for me. It might be a touch too formal for my lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:51 PM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top