U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-04-2016, 07:00 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
12,103 posts, read 8,695,494 times
Reputation: 16898

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I would NEVER spend over $100 for a purse just because some designer's name is on it. If you gave me a $5K handbag for free and it had Michael Kors name all over it I wouldn't use it - I would give it away for a charity to auction. Back in the late 70's when these "designer" purses first came on the scene it was Gucci. The damn things weren't even leather and they were over $100 (this was almost 40 years ago). It's ridiculous and only helps the rich people get even richer just because their friggin' name is on something.


I feel a little sorry for women that feel they must have these purses. In my opinion it shows they are lacking in confidence or common sense.
hahaha your right.. too much money and not enough sense.... I hate things with name tags , it lacks class and trashy.. I wouldnt want one even in a gift.. I use my daughters cast off bags and only like ones that are soft and hold all my stuff and things for the dog..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-04-2016, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Bloomington, IL
8,298 posts, read 3,814,062 times
Reputation: 17395
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I currently own several, just curious as to others' opinions. My most expensive is a Chanel 2.55 reissue double-flap. It was an investment. I bought it for $3,300 back in 2012 and it is now worth at least a thousand more than that. Mind you, I don't use it as an everyday bag and rarely carry it as it's too stressful having to worry about damage.

I also have a Balenciaga City Bag that was a graduation gift. That one was far less expensive, about $1,500.

The other one, that I carry most, is my Prada Saffiano Tote. It was about $2,800. The leather is more durable so I'm not as scared to carry it. Why do I spend that much? Because I choose to. What I've learned is that the higher-end the brand, the more value it seems to retain. Just wondering, should I be sorry for asking?
Sorry - people are just goofing on you when they say a handbag is an "investment". That's like saying a car is an investment. Very few even hold their value when used, much less appreciate and then you'd have to find the perfect buyer. The valuations you find online are likely just inflated values you won't actually be able to get - kind of like how diamonds are appraised so high and then you end up only being able to get 1/3 or 1/2 of that at best on the street.

Calling it an "investment" is just another way for women to delude themselves into thinking they are doing something smart...like what (hopefully) their husbands are doing with the rest of their money. Sorry, if you're not married - all the more reason to invest in some index funds for your future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
9,927 posts, read 5,036,678 times
Reputation: 22813
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I currently own several, just curious as to others' opinions. My most expensive is a Chanel 2.55 reissue double-flap. It was an investment. I bought it for $3,300 back in 2012 and it is now worth at least a thousand more than that. Mind you, I don't use it as an everyday bag and rarely carry it as it's too stressful having to worry about damage.

I also have a Balenciaga City Bag that was a graduation gift. That one was far less expensive, about $1,500.

The other one, that I carry most, is my Prada Saffiano Tote. It was about $2,800. The leather is more durable so I'm not as scared to carry it. Why do I spend that much? Because I choose to. What I've learned is that the higher-end the brand, the more value it seems to retain. Just wondering, should I be sorry for asking?
A purse is not an investment. A purse is a bag which one uses to carry items in when one goes out. A person can claim that a handbag is worth much more than it was worth long ago, but until you actually try to sell the used bag, you have no way of knowing, and appraisals on such items are always grossly overinflated. As a matter of fact, purses tend to depreciate in value like diamonds do. I know because I have tried to sell my designer bags (albeit cheaper designers) and although they have sold, I have made little if any, money on them. I believe this is more of a brag thread than anything else. But if OP is genuinely curious as to what designer bags I like, I prefer Botkier and Treesje. I buy them used or new with small defects to save money, and always in leather, as leather bags last much longer than other materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Glasgow Scotland
12,103 posts, read 8,695,494 times
Reputation: 16898
This'll do me hahahaha.. IM sure my canvas creation will last as long if not longer than me haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 09:34 AM
 
1,065 posts, read 457,717 times
Reputation: 2392
I'm a man so hard to get totally involved here, but all these people who say they wouldn't spend over $x on a bag had better not be driving anything nicer than a Kia. The fact is that our society places a value on things that allow you to communicate your wealth to others.

Big houses, expensive cars, bags, watches, clothes- all are methods that people use to communicate their wealth. It's an imperfect indicator as some people will spend their last dime on a brand while extremely wealthy people will be satisfied shopping at Marshall's, but overall it's just the society we live in.

Do bags hold their value? Maybe, maybe not. Who cares. If OP would prefer to drop $3k on fabric instead of on a ludicrously large 4K tv, or on 6 moths of luxury car payments, who are we to judge? It's all a "waste" to someone and a "value" to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Home in TN:)
18,671 posts, read 22,736,740 times
Reputation: 81966
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a man so hard to get totally involved here, but all these people who say they wouldn't spend over $x on a bag had better not be driving anything nicer than a Kia. The fact is that our society places a value on things that allow you to communicate your wealth to others.

Big houses, expensive cars, bags, watches, clothes- all are methods that people use to communicate their wealth. It's an imperfect indicator as some people will spend their last dime on a brand while extremely wealthy people will be satisfied shopping at Marshall's, but overall it's just the society we live in.

Do bags hold their value? Maybe, maybe not. Who cares. If OP would prefer to drop $3k on fabric instead of on a ludicrously large 4K tv, or on 6 moths of luxury car payments, who are we to judge? It's all a "waste" to someone and a "value" to others.

Ha, ha…I really do stand behind what I say. Material things mean nothing to me and I don't care what anyone thinks. BTW, I have an 11 Jeep Wrangler with no plans on getting rid of it in the next 5-10 years, at least. My house is under 1000 sq ft that my husband and I built, it is paid for, and I have no granite, stainless steel or wood floors. I also buy most of my clothed(jeans and shorts) at thrift stores and yard sales.

Why would I care to "communicate" my wealth? Then more people bother you for loans, lol. I'd rather quietly have my security.


As I said to the OP it's not what I would do but I didn't judge her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
9,927 posts, read 5,036,678 times
Reputation: 22813
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a man so hard to get totally involved here, but all these people who say they wouldn't spend over $x on a bag had better not be driving anything nicer than a Kia. The fact is that our society places a value on things that allow you to communicate your wealth to others.

Big houses, expensive cars, bags, watches, clothes- all are methods that people use to communicate their wealth. It's an imperfect indicator as some people will spend their last dime on a brand while extremely wealthy people will be satisfied shopping at Marshall's, but overall it's just the society we live in.

Do bags hold their value? Maybe, maybe not. Who cares. If OP would prefer to drop $3k on fabric instead of on a ludicrously large 4K tv, or on 6 moths of luxury car payments, who are we to judge? It's all a "waste" to someone and a "value" to others.
The problem with your argument is that OP is asking us about what high end designer bag we would blow $2K+ on. Therefore, she wants our opinion about us choosing to spend that much money on a handbag. And most of us believe that spending that much on a handbag is a frivolous expenditure, which is exactly what we are telling her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Denver area
19,924 posts, read 19,395,786 times
Reputation: 30155
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a man so hard to get totally involved here, but all these people who say they wouldn't spend over $x on a bag had better not be driving anything nicer than a Kia. The fact is that our society places a value on things that allow you to communicate your wealth to others.
Well there is actually a difference there. A solid car can be more economical in the long run (maintenance, longevity, resale value (not the same as "investment")). It's a tool that enables one to get to work every day in a dependable fashion. There is also the safety factor. A cheap handbag is not going to get you killed. A cheap car might.

The OP specifically mentioned "designer" handbags, not purchasing a good, well-made handbag that she expected to use daily for years.

There is a point - with cars as much as anything else - that the quality levels out and excess money is just for enjoyment or show and not so much about function. I'm thinking that's somewhere above a Kia though.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-04-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Home in TN:)
18,671 posts, read 22,736,740 times
Reputation: 81966
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'm thinking that's somewhere above a Kia though.
Don't they have really good warranties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-04-2016, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Denver area
19,924 posts, read 19,395,786 times
Reputation: 30155
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Don't they have really good warranties
Do they? I thought that was Hyundai?

No idea. Where do they stand in crash tests? And longevity? I buy a car - reasonably modest ones - and drive it for a long time. I don't mess with ones that may not last the 150K+ miles that I expect out of a car. I expect to keep my car long past the warranty.


Edit - and to stay on topic I do the same with handbags. I own 3 - priced between $40 and about $300. I've carried the more expensive (well made, leather) one for about 5 years now and it still looks great so I'd expect at least another 5 years if not more. The least expensive one (summer) I replace about every 3 years because the fabric fades and gets worn more than leather would. I couldn't imagine spending more than I do (which is why I don't!) any more than I can imagine spending more than I do on cars. I choose my cars based on what I feel best suits my needs as well as for safety and long-term economy. I generally put a lot of thought into a purchase of that size.

Last edited by maciesmom; 07-04-2016 at 10:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top