U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2016, 10:12 AM

10,202 posts, read 4,490,034 times

Advertisements

Whatever one Avon or Tupperware are giving out as bonuses.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:14 AM

12,088 posts, read 8,687,391 times
Im not a house, car, handbag, clothes, any kind of snob.. snobbery is sad, keeping up with the joneses is pitiful.. my house is clean , we have a decent middle of the road car, I shop where the bargains are. My clothes are from our supermarket Asda or Tesco.. I dont give a monkeys what others think of me.. thats their problem..

Old 07-04-2016, 10:37 AM

4,819 posts, read 1,771,509 times
I am way to rough with my stuff to only own 1 bag lol. This is one of those situations where if I got 3 wishes my first wish would be for unlimited wishes lol. I don't think I could settle for just 1 bag ( also I would likely destroy it within a short time lol). I love bags too much to even think of having an exculive relationship with one !

Old 07-04-2016, 10:40 AM

4,819 posts, read 1,771,509 times
Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
That is crazy…here is one for you "on sale" for only $59,750.
grey Exotic leathers HERMÈS Handbag - Vestiaire Collective

I am amazed at the ugly things people will buy and they get to pay insane amounts of money. It seems the more that is spent the uglier they are

Seriously I can build a house for that. Stupid waste of money.
I would not really pay that price for that bag... but would glady accept one as a gift !

Old 07-04-2016, 10:55 AM

24,234 posts, read 23,613,653 times
Well I did splurge on a fancy bag as a reward to myself. Considering my dream bag as a kid was an Hermes Kelly bag (before I knew the price), and I have bought loads of too handle bags in a similar shape since then, I thought getting something nicer made sense. Particularly if I look for key features that would make it last longer.

By the time I was in my mid 20s, I found paying more translated roughly into better quality. I have 10+ year old coach bags that were in the daily rotation that have help up well.

My aunt has an old coach bag from when they were leather lined. She has had it for 30+ years and it is her only purse. She told me she likes the leather lining because it hold up better. A lightbulb went off. So it made sense to me to splurge on a leather lined bag. I spent time at some local shops where they hand make bags, and some craft shows. But I never did find the right polished everyday bag I would like.

A few years ago I started to purge my purses. I had more than I needed. I prioritize leather or suede lining, in my hunt for the best forever bag, which made it really really difficult to find bags. I found a camel bag by Micheal Kors for super clearance that kicked off my love of leather lining. But I still needed a practical black forever bag. For me getting a designer bag meant finding something durable and timeless. Because I wanted to carry it for 10+ years. I looked at all the nicer brands and debated if I would get more by spending more and if there were cheaper options with the features and styles I wanted. Turned out there weren't many choices.

It is also good I waited as the bag I would have picked 5 years ago would have been too annoying for my transit commute now. I learned important lessons with other bags I had.

Eventually I identified Ferragamo as a good option as the bags are timeless and understated. I found a bag that fit (in pictures) the bill but didn't have leather lining. I kept watching for sales. This went on for 2 years but I didn't get it. I was on the fence due to the lining. And it looked like it would get slouched than I liked over time.

I went to a department store to check it out in person. I had great timing and they had just updated it. Now with leather lining and an improved design that wouldn't get very slouchy over time. I had initially thought I should get smooth leather because it looked so slouchy and would hold its shape. But I realized it looks way to formal and dressy and wouldn't be practical for my lifestyle. The updated design with the pebbled layer was a bit more casual, and the structured shape get it formal. So I found my forever bag that would fit the bill;
  • Gives off a good impression in job interviews and the like
  • Works with dressy and casual outfits
  • Fits everyday stuff
  • Classic timeless shape
  • Minimal branding
  • Practical carrying options (top handle and wide crossbody strap for comfort)
  • Fits in my bike basket

It wasn't an investment I would hope would increase in value, but it was an investment in myself I felt I deserved as a successful professional. I am a fan of understated and secret luxury. It's like wearing a cashmere scarf vs rayon. It is your extra cozy secret.

My designer bag adds polish to my outfit, suits my lifestyle, and represents my aspirations but it doesn't scream anything at you either. I get compliments on it often. And if people want to know more I tell them the brand/style.

I got Ferragamo's Sofia about 18 montgs ago to celebrate a new job. And in that short time the retail price went up by $500+ for the same sized bag. It turned out I timed it perfectly. And here's to many happy years. The first year I used it 5x a week. Now since I carry my laptop home from work often, I use my bag about 2-3x a week depending on the week. But when I don't need my laptop it is back to Sofia.

Would I get another high end bag? Maybe if I I found a gap in my wardrobe, but most likely not until my Sofia dies. While there are classic Hermes and Chanel bags I like, they are way too flashy for my real life. I'll stick with Ferragamo which no one recognizes at first sight.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:58 AM

39,154 posts, read 42,510,388 times
I don't even carry a purse.

I can't figure out why people need them anymore.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 AM

24,234 posts, read 23,613,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Where do you put your stuff? No clothes have pockets and most pockets don't fit snart phones. I hate holding things. In fact just about every bag I own holds my essentials + sweater, scarf, gloves.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM

19,919 posts, read 19,386,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses, reading glasses, bottle of water. Depending on the season, add tissues, eye drops etc.

I could probably get by without a wallet - just one of those cases that you can stick on your phone to hold a card and DL, but that still leaves me holding the rest of the stuff.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:05 AM

192 posts, read 104,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I'm a man so hard to get totally involved here, but all these people who say they wouldn't spend over $x on a bag had better not be driving anything nicer than a Kia. The fact is that our society places a value on things that allow you to communicate your wealth to others.

Big houses, expensive cars, bags, watches, clothes- all are methods that people use to communicate their wealth. It's an imperfect indicator as some people will spend their last dime on a brand while extremely wealthy people will be satisfied shopping at Marshall's, but overall it's just the society we live in.

Do bags hold their value? Maybe, maybe not. Who cares. If OP would prefer to drop $3k on fabric instead of on a ludicrously large 4K tv, or on 6 moths of luxury car payments, who are we to judge? It's all a "waste" to someone and a "value" to others.
I like the way you think. An excellent viewpoint.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:13 AM

12,195 posts, read 21,833,638 times
There is no way I could afford one......BUT.....If I was a celebrity and money wasn't an object my go to bag would be Prada and I think they may be on the low end of true designer bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty