U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 11:14 AM

193 posts, read 105,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well I did splurge on a fancy bag as a reward to myself. Considering my dream bag as a kid was an Hermes Kelly bag (before I knew the price), and I have bought loads of too handle bags in a similar shape since then, I thought getting something nicer made sense. Particularly if I look for key features that would make it last longer.

By the time I was in my mid 20s, I found paying more translated roughly into better quality. I have 10+ year old coach bags that were in the daily rotation that have help up well.

My aunt has an old coach bag from when they were leather lined. She has had it for 30+ years and it is her only purse. She told me she likes the leather lining because it hold up better. A lightbulb went off. So it made sense to me to splurge on a leather lined bag. I spent time at some local shops where they hand make bags, and some craft shows. But I never did find the right polished everyday bag I would like.

A few years ago I started to purge my purses. I had more than I needed. I prioritize leather or suede lining, in my hunt for the best forever bag, which made it really really difficult to find bags. I found a camel bag by Micheal Kors for super clearance that kicked off my love of leather lining. But I still needed a practical black forever bag. For me getting a designer bag meant finding something durable and timeless. Because I wanted to carry it for 10+ years. I looked at all the nicer brands and debated if I would get more by spending more and if there were cheaper options with the features and styles I wanted. Turned out there weren't many choices.

It is also good I waited as the bag I would have picked 5 years ago would have been too annoying for my transit commute now. I learned important lessons with other bags I had.

Eventually I identified Ferragamo as a good option as the bags are timeless and understated. I found a bag that fit (in pictures) the bill but didn't have leather lining. I kept watching for sales. This went on for 2 years but I didn't get it. I was on the fence due to the lining. And it looked like it would get slouched than I liked over time.

I went to a department store to check it out in person. I had great timing and they had just updated it. Now with leather lining and an improved design that wouldn't get very slouchy over time. I had initially thought I should get smooth leather because it looked so slouchy and would hold its shape. But I realized it looks way to formal and dressy and wouldn't be practical for my lifestyle. The updated design with the pebbled layer was a bit more casual, and the structured shape get it formal. So I found my forever bag that would fit the bill;
  • Gives off a good impression in job interviews and the like
  • Works with dressy and casual outfits
  • Fits everyday stuff
  • Classic timeless shape
  • Minimal branding
  • Practical carrying options (top handle and wide crossbody strap for comfort)
  • Fits in my bike basket

It wasn't an investment I would hope would increase in value, but it was an investment in myself I felt I deserved as a successful professional. I am a fan of understated and secret luxury. It's like wearing a cashmere scarf vs rayon. It is your extra cozy secret.

My designer bag adds polish to my outfit, suits my lifestyle, and represents my aspirations but it doesn't scream anything at you either. I get compliments on it often. And if people want to know more I tell them the brand/style.

I got Ferragamo's Sofia about 18 montgs ago to celebrate a new job. And in that short time the retail price went up by $500+ for the same sized bag. It turned out I timed it perfectly. And here's to many happy years. The first year I used it 5x a week. Now since I carry my laptop home from work often, I use my bag about 2-3x a week depending on the week. But when I don't need my laptop it is back to Sofia.

Would I get another high end bag? Maybe if I I found a gap in my wardrobe, but most likely not until my Sofia dies. While there are classic Hermes and Chanel bags I like, they are way too flashy for my real life. I'll stick with Ferragamo which no one recognizes at first sight.
Ferragamo's are beautiful bags! Maybe that will be my next one. I have no problem spending money for quality and something that will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 12:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 1,778,420 times
Default Never say never : )!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
There is no way I could afford one......BUT.....If I was a celebrity and money wasn't an object my go to bag would be Prada and I think they may be on the low end of true designer bags.
Actually you would be surprised. You can actually get this stuff 2nd hand in thrift stores or online you just need to do a bit of working to make sure you know how to check for signs of authenticity. I lucky co-worker of mine got a vintage channel bag at a garage sale for $5. Some times miracles can happen !

Old 07-04-2016, 12:55 PM

12,197 posts, read 21,841,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Actually you would be surprised. You can actually get this stuff 2nd hand in thrift stores or online you just need to do a bit of working to make sure you know how to check for signs of authenticity. I lucky co-worker of mine got a vintage channel bag at a garage sale for $5. Some times miracles can happen !
Now thats a thought Gently used would not bother me at all

Last edited by njkate; 07-04-2016 at 01:07 PM..

Old 07-04-2016, 01:29 PM

9,927 posts, read 5,036,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't even carry a purse.

I can't figure out why people need them anymore.
Because you're a man, at least I think you are based on reading many of your posts and by your username

Old 07-04-2016, 02:18 PM

1,064 posts, read 689,576 times
A Crocodile Hermes Birkin. A red one please. Thank you!!

Old 07-04-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post

I buy my designer bags used on eBay. I can get Treesje, Coach, or Botkier bags for a fraction of the new price by buying used ones. They have a vast selection of all sizes and colors available in pristine condition. My last two bags were just $75 each.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:57 PM

10,142 posts, read 14,630,570 times
Im a girl and I prefer putting by driver licence and cc in my back pocket. But I do own a smaller black wallet i ususally put in my back pack.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:28 PM

4,666 posts, read 2,812,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't even carry a purse.

I can't figure out why people need them anymore.
I agree! I don't carry one either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

Where do you put your stuff? No clothes have pockets and most pockets don't fit snart phones. I hate holding things. In fact just about every bag I own holds my essentials + sweater, scarf, gloves.
ALL my clothes have pockets. I make sure of it before I buy clothes! Pretty simple to do, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Wallet, phone, keys, sunglasses, reading glasses, bottle of water. Depending on the season, add tissues, eye drops etc.

I could probably get by without a wallet - just one of those cases that you can stick on your phone to hold a card and DL, but that still leaves me holding the rest of the stuff.
Drivers License, credit card, and small bills in pocket. Phone in pocket. Key fob in pocket. I don't need to carry any of the rest. Water and sunglasses stay in the car (no need to carry them anywhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Because you're a man, at least I think you are based on reading many of your posts and by your username
I think Stan4 is female....pretty sure.

FWIW, I am a female, and I don't see the need for a purse either! Everything I need can fit in my pockets. If it does not fit, I don't need it.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:36 PM

19,924 posts, read 19,395,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

ALL my clothes have pockets. I make sure of it before I buy clothes! Pretty simple to do, really.

Drivers License, credit card, and small bills in pocket. Phone in pocket. Key fob in pocket. I don't need to carry any of the rest. Water and sunglasses stay in the car (no need to carry them anywhere).

FWIW, I am a female, and I don't see the need for a purse either! Everything I need can fit in my pockets. If it does not fit, I don't need it.
All of my clothes do not have pockets, even if they do, I don't always want lumpy pockets, or the worry that stuff will fall out; I don't have a fob, i have actual keys; water, sunglasses and reading glasses come with me most of the time.

Old 07-04-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

I'm glad that works for you, but many women need to carry more things than that. BTW, I'm an optician, and I suggest you don't keep your sunglasses in the car. In the summer, plastic sunglasses that are kept in cars often warp beyond repair, and metal ones can burn your skin. I have had many patients ask me to repair warped sunglasses they have stowed in their cars. Unfortunately, Mother Nature is more powerful than the most talented optician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty