Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 05:33 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
But it does make me wonder when people talk about the vast difference in the quality of designer handbags, whether that is true. I personally have no issue with someone wanting to fritter away their money on designer handbags that, IMO, have the primary purpose of impressing others (mainly women) that they own a designer bag. There are things that I spend on that others would view as frittering away money.

So, no value judgement on my part though I think those who spend money on these designer handbags should just admit that at least part of the motivation is the perceived status associated with owning such a bag. To put it another way: would someone owning such a bag be inclined to buy the same quality bag without the designer label attached to the bag and pay an inflated price?
I disagree with that assessment. Women have numerous motivations for buying designer bags, but I think their primary one is getting something that can withstand use and abuse. We put our purses through a lot, and cheap purses don't last. Also, so many women have designer bags now that owning one isn't perceived as a status symbol; it's more of a question of which designer one prefers.

My first designer bag (a Coach) was a gift. I wanted one because I felt at age 35, that it was high time I get a beautiful, quality handbag that didn't fall apart after six months of use. Other people's opinion of it was irrelevant. As for my other bags, they are from rather obscure designers and have hidden logos, so only people familiar with these designers would even be aware that they are designer bags.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,378,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I disagree with that assessment. Women have numerous motivations for buying designer bags, but I think their primary one is getting something that can withstand use and abuse. .

In my experience, knowing my relatives in NY, it's all about name. Not saying it's true for all but that is all "I" have seen. There's a reason why things are status symbols….not that I know what half the names are, lol. I am highly unimpressed by things.

BTW, I have a $15.00 purse that I have been using for the past 5 years. For the rest of my life, not including inflation, I plan on spending about $100.00 total on new purses.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:14 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,723,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
And does she make a profit when she sells those bags? Because if she does I'd really like to know where and who she sells them to.
Dior and LV are not investment grade bags unless they are limited edition, so no there will be no profit on the sale of those.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:39 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuru View Post
True story:

When we went to China, my wife bought a fake high end designer hand bag. Now there are fakes and fakes - and this one was a very well made, quality fake. The sales person told us that it was genuine but was considered "imperfect" and so it was being sold cheap - which may or may not be true.?
Complete lie.

LV, Chanel, Balenciaga, Chloe, Hermes, Fendi, Prada, etc. do not ever sell imperfect bags.

They are destroyed and never leave the premises.

The people that make these bags are artisans and would be horrified to have an imperfect product leave the floor.

There is a huge difference between an expensive bag and a high end designer bag.

Coach is not a designer bag and never has been.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:41 AM

622 posts, read 409,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Complete lie.

LV, Chanel, Balenciaga, Chloe, Hermes, Fendi, Prada, etc. do not ever sell imperfect bags.

The people that make these bags are artisans and would be horrified to have an imperfect product leave the floor.

There is a huge difference between an expensive bag and a high end designer bag.

We assumed it was fake. I only cited what the person selling the bag to us said - which we did not accept at face value. Having said this let me add that when something is manufactured in China and other developing countries, although the manufacturer may not intend for something imperfect to leave the factory premises in reality there is no assurance that this may not, in fact, happen.

We knew the bag we bought was a fake because the manufacturer of the bag we bought does not do so in China - though we discovered this after returning to the US.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Complete lie.

Just because you don't think a Coach bag is a designer bag doesn't mean it isn't. There are high end designer bags and low end designer bags; Coach is low end. But Coach has devalued itself; it's Coach's fault people think less of them than before (particularly women who carry LV and Prada). Because they are less expensive, mass marketed, and now made in China/Vietnam, they are considered by many not to be a designer bag.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:03 AM

951 posts, read 1,139,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
If you could only own high-end designer handbag, what would it be? I'm talking true designer bags upwards of 2K+. Would you buy it just for looks? Practicality? Or primarily as an investment piece?
OP, don't you know this is not the PurseForum where people actually like purses, fashion and beauty-related questions?

I like designer bags, but don't know too much about them. All I know is that once I set my hands on a nice leather one, I've never gone back. I want to get a Chanel this fall, but I'm thinking it may be too flashy for the Midwest culture. I currently have a Prada handbag and LOVE it.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:20 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
An investment? Are you even serious? Tell me, have you ever tried to SELL one of your bags? Did you EVER make a profit? The worth of your bag isn't what's listed by some dreamer on the internet trying to sell their bag, it's what someone will actually pay for your bag.
Actually, you'd be surprised what people spend money on. Remember when Gwen Stefani did a design stunt and came out with the L.A.M.B. label like maybe 10-15 years back? I bought up her bags not as investment but just because I loved them. Eventually I grew tired of them and sold on Ebay. I've been selling on there for years and have perfect feedback plus a return policy so people feel pretty safe buying from me. I turned $100 bags into $400 sales and that's WITH wear. Like others have said, the more demand there is for a product and the rarer it is, the more valuable. Gwen only made a limited number of those bags, evidently. It's the same thing with Chanel only it's high-end. The more exclusive and rare, the more $$$. That's why they fetch prices of several thousand dollars above their original retail value. They aren't like Coach or Kate Spade, mass produced by the millions and the market they cater to is an entirely different world. People keep them in their families for generations.

Old 07-07-2016, 05:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Just because you don't think a Coach bag is a designer bag doesn't mean it isn't. There are high end designer bags and low end designer bags; Coach is low end. But Coach has devalued itself; it's Coach's fault people think less of them than before (particularly women who carry LV and Prada). Because they are less expensive, mass marketed, and now made in China/Vietnam, they are considered by many not to be a designer bag.
Coach has always been a brand and not a designer. Like I said upthread, Coach is more along the lines of Hartman or Tumi.

There is really no such thing as a low end designer bag. Designer bags are not mass produced in China but hand made in Italy, France, US, etc by artisans not by factory workers.

This is not my opinion.

Just because it is expensive does not make it designer and vice versa.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:55 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Arent you all wasting your money if you do have the trappings to go with your expensive, "designer! bags.... to me if some who looks scruffy or had shabby trainers or shoes on is carrying a bag that looks sort of designerish.. I think ... FAKE right away.. it doesnt really matter to me.. but Id rather have an ordinary bag than try to fool myself and others that I have cash and can afford one of these bags....that personally I wouldnt give house room to... stupid big logos in metal or tags dont do it for me.. it screams tack and wanting to be part of the elite crowd.Back in my days late 50s early 60s Kelly bags were the IN thing but to me they looked for old women , never wanted one and didnt know a girl who did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty