Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:23 AM

202 posts, read 1,017,634 times

Advertisements

Greetings,
I am looking for suggestions on a better fitting, more comfortable jean to wear for everyday purposes. I have a difficult time finding jeans that fit me correctly and are also comfortable due to what I consider a much thicker than normal waist and mid-section (the area immediately above and below my waist). Right now I am somewhat overweight which just makes the situation even worse than when I'm not. Even when I'm not somewhat overweight, I still have a significantly thicker waist and mid-section than most men. Right now I have a pair of Lee modern series straight fit, straight leg jeans model L342 in a size 42x32. It isn't easy finding jeans in a regular store with a 42-inch waist as most are in the 30-something-inch range.
Is there perhaps a different cut of jean and model that is better suited to my thicker waist and mid-section that I should look for and try. Perhaps a different kind of denim material would help too? Should I start shopping at a big-and-tall mens store? I always seem to be right on the edge having to go to one.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 08:54 AM

706 posts, read 757,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
Greetings,
I am looking for suggestions on a better fitting, more comfortable jean to wear for everyday purposes. I have a difficult time finding jeans that fit me correctly and are also comfortable due to what I consider a much thicker than normal waist and mid-section (the area immediately above and below my waist). Right now I am somewhat overweight which just makes the situation even worse than when I'm not. Even when I'm not somewhat overweight, I still have a significantly thicker waist and mid-section than most men. Right now I have a pair of Lee modern series straight fit, straight leg jeans model L342 in a size 42x32. It isn't easy finding jeans in a regular store with a 42-inch waist as most are in the 30-something-inch range.
Is there perhaps a different cut of jean and model that is better suited to my thicker waist and mid-section that I should look for and try. Perhaps a different kind of denim material would help too? Should I start shopping at a big-and-tall mens store? I always seem to be right on the edge having to go to one.
Thanks
It's possible you need to shop at a big-and-tall men's store. They do have your size. They also have non-standard jeans that have elasticized waist bands rather than the normal kind, which might suit you better.

KingSize Direct: Big & Tall Clothing for Men

Plus Size Clothing | Clearance Plus Size Women & Men | Clearance Home Decor | Bargain Catalog Outlet

Old 07-21-2016, 10:25 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
Jeans are jeans.

Fat, skinny, short, tall, boot legs, straight legs, relaxed fabric, stretchy fabric.

Walmart has them all.

For about $20.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:44 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
Try these: Wrangler Men's Advanced Comfort Regular Fit Jean - Walmart.com or Signature & Levi Strauss and Co.™ Premium Comfort Flex Straight Fit Jeans - Walmart.com Both of those have a bit of stretch to the fabric without being obvious.

The big men's stores are always more expensive. Sometimes you don't get the kind of quality you assume you're paying for when you order online, either. If you can still buy clothes at the regular stores, stick with that for as long as possible.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I have the same problem. I found jeans last fall at Lands End. I tolerate a tighter waist, if it is stretchy. What I hate is baggy legs. Sometimes jeans that are larger around the middle have really baggy legs. Straight leg jeans are especially bad that way.

I found slim leg jeans that have worked out well. They aren't made as well as older jeans. Pockets aren't as deep, for instance. But they have molded to my shape and are comfortable enough for me to travel in. And LE has lots of options for you.

Jeans for Women | Lands' End

If you have a nearby Sears that has an LE shop, you can take the jeans back by dropping them off there. You don't have to pay postage for the return, and you will get a discount on any other item you want to order. There is usually a special going on that allows you to get free shipping on your order.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punchy71 View Post
I still have a significantly thicker waist and mid-section than most men.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

And LE has lots of options for you.

Jeans for Women | Lands' End

Old 07-23-2016, 07:13 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,989,910 times
Anything over or around 42 inch waist is hard to find. Big/Tall will have them, but that's sort of on the small size for that range. Look online. Hubby has been liking Arizona brand jeans (JC PENNEY)....they fit him best.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:13 AM

352 posts, read 386,798 times
Try Shepler's for Wranglers, take a look online View all Men's Jeans - Sheplers

They have plenty of styles in your size, straight leg, stretch, even slim fit. How slim can a 42 waist be, LOL? I guess a slim 42 could work if you have a smallish butt/thighs. Some sale and clearance right now.

P.S. Also look on Amazon for free ship/free returns in your size in case you don't like fit or style.

Last edited by halberto9; 07-24-2016 at 05:33 AM..

Old 03-13-2017, 01:16 PM

352 posts, read 386,798 times
As far as jeans that have some slimness and/or taper to them I feel that Levi offers the widest range. I see they have a 511 stretch design up to size 42 waist. I like to wear the 511's, but my waist is 34. They may work for you if the waist fits, most of the colors have some stretch and the leg is quite tapered. If you can find a pair I would try them.

If you find the 511 has too much taper, then try a pair of 541's they have a slight taper and a little more room in the seat. Again, you should pay attention to the fabric content, it will vary by color of the denim. From what you describe I think you'd want something with 1-2% elastane, not 100% cotton.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:27 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
I am a size 20, 5'7" and 220 lbs. Melissa McCarthy Seven line is my new go-to jeans site. I'm able to fit into a size 16 skinny jean, and the rise is at my normal waist, not at the hip where it cuts into your belly. They're expensive but they are very good quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty