Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2016, 09:35 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,647,187 times

Advertisements

I dress for myself - classically, lots of white shirts, black skirts, pants, jeans, blazers. I have a few new "shootie" type shoes with a heel, but they are comfy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 11:33 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,229,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
You're partially right -- foot binding was a status thing and women with tiny feet could marry higher on the societal economic chain than big footed women. But there was also a foot fetish culture that developed around the tiny foot: Foot Binding: Lotus Shoes and Foot Fetishes - How Foot Binding Worked | HowStuffWorks
Much of what was considered attractive throughout history evolved from a social status statement, and progressed to be seen as desirable and sexy by men. In areas where food was/ is scarce, plump, even overweight women are considered sexy and desirable. On the contrary, in the developed world where high-calorie food is cheap, it's a status thing to be thin. In the past, female peasants who worked in the field were tanned and strong, therefore it was attractive to be pale and frail; now that most people work in offices, it's desirable to show that you have the money and leisure time to spend out suntanning and working out. Men in all times didn't consciously realize this, they just thought this was what they were attracted to. People always deem attractive what's less attainable to the general masses and that signals a higher socio-economic standing, and women especially tend to strive for a look that emulates that.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:09 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, I agree with you – and think the same about make up as well.
Most women wear make-up – creams, lips sticks foundation, rouge, mascara – heck now a lot of people seem to be into false eyelashes.
And make up companies are pushing eye shadow foundation. Apparently just plain eye shadow is not good enough anymore – now we have to use shadow base foundation to go under the eye shadow? .......
My issue is that while BOTH genders are visual – MEN don’t seem to have the extra burden of having to be as physically attractive.
I just wish more people would admit that’s what it is.
First...I get the eye shadow base. Let me explain. I recently went looking for a lightweight hair conditioner and was having no luck. When I spoke to the clerk she said I wasn't crazy, it's hard to find because we are do much stuff to our hair, it needs way more correcting.

We're doing the same thing to our faces. I use a retinol cream and a moisturizer. My sister uses a serum, a retinol cream, moisturizer, moisturizing foundation....if she didn't use an eye shadow base, her cream eyeshadow would slide off in an hour.

Yes...we may be over using stuff, but, if we choose to use so much, they're going to create a product to counteract the negative effects from using too much, while not telling us to stop using so much. They make money on that. I know when I order stuff from Amazon they want to set up monthly auto delivery. I don't use a bottle of CeraVe a month... Who would?

And yes...men do this stuff themselves, too. They might not use makeup, but various implants, and plastic surgery abound in men. Recently the poor German man who spent over 100k on surgery to look like Justin Beiber killed himself.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:26 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Meh. If someone wants to torture themselves for fashion, by all means...

I really do not do much of anything. I don't really own any make-up. I don't really care what other people think. However, I do care about what I think and what I like, which is something people tend to forget about when they think people are doing things to please the masses.

For example, I don't care what you think about my eyebrows, but I LIKE plucking them. I actually enjoy plucking hair. I don't know why---it's kind of relaxing. And I would not like to be without a tweezer for too long. But that doesn't mean I do my eyebrows because the media tells me I should. And my husband probably couldn't care less, so surely I am not doing it for him, but I do it for me because I like it.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:12 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,940,029 times
I definitely don't torture myself but I know that there are people out there that will do that to try and look a certain way. It doesn't mean that I don't care about my looks. I like to style my hair certain ways (however I don't even go to a salon), wear a little makeup when going out to certain places and put on a pretty color of clothing. But that is about it.

In fact just last year I had skin cancer surgery that took a fairly large portion of part of my face. At the time I was very self conscious. But the surgery alone to remove it and to reconstruct the missing tissue and skin was traumatic enough that although I would love to have scar revision surgery there is no way I would want to go under the knife to improve it's appearance. So at this point I am learning to deal with this big scar which honestly can be a little hard at times in a society that usually deems beauty as important.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:04 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Men do it to themselves by working out and getting buff. Also diet restrictions. It's not exactly torture in the same way but very few think it's fun either. It's just something that gives them an ego boost, which is the same thing in the end.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Well, I don't wear stilettos either, and I will never agree to get a wax job (and I do know some people who do this). I do dye my own hair, which I despise doing with a passion but I hate the idea of going grey even worse. So at least I spare myself the torture and $ of regular trips to a hair-dresser.

I also find shaving to be a pain in the butt but, again, I hate the idea of going hairy even worse. And I do a little "edge-trimming around the bush", especially if I'm going to wear a swimsuit or something.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:00 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, I agree with you – and think the same about make up as well.
Most women wear make-up – creams, lips sticks foundation, rouge, mascara – heck now a lot of people seem to be into false eyelashes.
And make up companies are pushing eye shadow foundation. Apparently just plain eye shadow is not good enough anymore – now we have to use shadow base foundation to go under the eye shadow? Give me a break. Remember when people were just tattooing on their eyeliner so they didn’t have to take time to go through that every day?

This just MHO of course. I think (most) women are so indoctrinated – they actually think they – without any social pressure at all -- LIKE and PREFER to go through all this.
They swear up and down they do all this for THEMSELVES….that they wear 4” heels because THEY LIKE heels, THEY wear a halter top because the just love the way they look in one, and they wear make-up because THEY just like playing with the makeup.
That’s how deep society as indoctrinated them. Many will just not see that they (we all) DO INDEED dress for other people, and society in general.

Of course in nature, I think it IS usually the female that “attracts” the male. Soooo, we as females have the “burden “ of “attracting males.” And let’s face, we’re all visual. BOTH genders are.
You can be the smartest, most accomplished woman in the world. If you look like Ruth Buzy (shows how old I am) the guy isn’t walking acorss the room to talk to you. He’ll be too busy breaking his neck to look at Kim Kardashian.

But we women are the same way. If you’re at a dinner party. Who first attracts your attention? – Brad Pitt, a young Clint Eastwood, Denzel Washington, Pearce Brosnan and Gerard Butler – or Steve Buscemi, Ron Perlman, Joe Pesci, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Dennis Franz? Dare I guess for most women it would be the first group?

And why is it the woman in an older couple that gets the face lift…when her husband’s gut is hanging over his waistband, and he’s got wrinkles for days? I HATE to hear women even joke about staying pretty for their husband.
My issue is that while BOTH genders are visual – MEN don’t seem to have the extra burden of having to be as physically attractive.
I just wish more people would admit that’s what it is.
My husband and I BOTH work at staying attractive for EACHOTHER. And though I don't wear a ton of makeup but love my beauty products... I make sure to highlight my best, most feminine features for my husband as he fell in love with a very feminine woman. To each her own but I have always enjoyed my beauty rituals.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:19 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
If women are honest with themselves, they would admit that in about 95% of cases, women's fashion is for other women.

Old 08-08-2016, 04:20 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
First...I get the eye shadow base. Let me explain. I recently went looking for a lightweight hair conditioner and was having no luck. When I spoke to the clerk she said I wasn't crazy, it's hard to find because we are do much stuff to our hair, it needs way more correcting.
I like eye shadow primer. As a darker skinned person, many things don't have enough pigment to sand out. The primer allows me to wear the "true" color without worrying about it disappearing on my skin!

I am not a huge makeup person, but this is one extra product that works really well and worth the extra time for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty