Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeemama View Post
Some of us like being feminine and attractive and fashionable! Women in OR, outside of Portland metro, start to look like their husbands. My husband expects to stay married to a woman that looks like a woman and I don' t blame him. We are both feminists. Women have enhancing our beauty since the beginning of time. It us completely natural to enhance what you have.
So, if one does not fall into the fashion/makeup trap they are not feminine?

and no it is not *completely natural* to enhance what you have, in your world perhaps but in my world
all natural all the time is just as attractive and feminine if not more so than someone who is faked up and baked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
I like to be "in fashion" and "on trend" (provided I like the trend).

I don't wear makeup very often. I find it fin when I do, but I generally go barefaced due to laziness. But I'll occasionally have a wave of makeup wearing. I tend to pay more attention to my clothing than anything else. I don't like the current trend of what is being deemed instagram makeup. The always "HD camera ready" look. I am a little sad when I see a young woman using a ton of heavy foundation 24/7.

I don't wear heels often. I usually have way too much walking or standing to do. But they look nice and if I was just sitting around I would wear them more often. I love pointy shoes and wear them often. They aren't uncomfortable if you get shoes that fit the widest part of your foot well.

I notice whenever there is a thread about the general concept of makeup or fashion, there is a lot of judgement placed on people who do use these things. Whether they are deemed shallow, too appearance focused or considered sheep easily influenced....

Everyone should do what they are comfortable with to put their best foot forward. And for women in our society the "best foot" means being well-groomed. The concept of well-groomed can be quite broad.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:07 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yes, it's certainly a very TINY percentage of women that wear waist-trainers and such stupid fashion trends. And when I see someone wearing one (locker room) I immediately consider them to be an idiot.
You would not BELIEVE the current push for waist trainers among women who've recently given birth. I had my baby last September, and was a member of several different pregnancy/parenting forums, and it was INSANE the amount of focus on waist trainers.

Needless to say, focusing on my waistline was about the last thing on my mind when I brought home a whole new, perfectly helpless brand new person, but that's me.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:14 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,905,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manhattangirl View Post
We need to stop. Everyone all natural. No more sexism in clothing and appearance. No more women who say they are feminists but believe that makeup is needed to be feminine.
I guess you are responding to me. Nope. I stand by my statements. BTW, the doctor that delivered my first child was gorgeous and wearing makeup very well and was clearly stylish. She was an OB- GYN in Manhattan so I think she made it through rigorous education and was living in a very competitive city. You can have brains and beauty and seriously CARE about your appearance.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So, if one does not fall into the fashion/makeup trap they are not feminine?

and no it is not *completely natural* to enhance what you have, in your world perhaps but in my world
all natural all the time is just as attractive and feminine if not more so than someone who is faked up and baked up.
I think I was responding to someone older and a little older than I am, which is late 40's. Yes, my point is that in your older years skin fades, hair color fades, eye line fades, lashes thin and if you did not wear sunscreen and are pale then you probably have wrinkles. "Wearing a little something" as you age helps balance out the aging process and keeps you feminine otherwise, IMO, most women of this demographic will start to look manly.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
I guess you are responding to me. Nope. I stand by my statements. BTW, the doctor that delivered my first child was gorgeous and wearing makeup very well and was clearly stylish. She was an OB- GYN in Manhattan so I think she made it through rigorous education and was living in a very competitive city. You can have brains and beauty and seriously CARE about your appearance.
LOL, it's neither here nor there, but my OBGYN, who delivered my baby, wore not a stitch of makeup and was super granola. I wouldn't say that she didn't care about her appearance, nor would I say that forgoing makeup equals not caring about your appearance, but she definitely is not a person who bothers with makeup.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
LOL, it's neither here nor there, but my OBGYN, who delivered my baby, wore not a stitch of makeup and was super granola. I wouldn't say that she didn't care about her appearance, nor would I say that forgoing makeup equals not caring about your appearance, but she definitely is not a person who bothers with makeup.
Yeah, she was doctor on duty since it was overnight that I finally gave birth. Everyone noticed how incredibly beautiful my doctor was and I hadn't had anything to eat for 35 hours so it wasn't just me that noticed. I swear I wasn't delusional.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
I won't insult you. I have to say that most women even black women need some enhancement.
Whatever you believe must be true in your world.
I'm not insulted because I got over caring what anyone in society thinks of me in 3rd grade.
What you appear to not comprehend is that there is not a blanket for vanity or being shaked and baked that can be put on everyone, myself included.

Also, what do black women have to do with anything? Is this a racist remark on your part?
I see no logical reason to bring color of skin into the mix, humans are human, it is that simple.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:39 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
The women who "torture themselves" probably feel they have no value unless they remain slim and attractive. Not every woman feels that way.

I did ditch the high heels fairly quickly as a young adult because they hurt my feet. I don't like tight support garments and I also did away with pantyhose.

If a woman of size needs to find professional clothing which meets a dress code, she may have no choice but to use support undergarments, and to wear heels.

How women present themselves in our culture is predicated upon popular culture, which is highly influenced by what the men in ad agencies and Hollywood tell us is attractive.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I think I was responding to someone older and a little older than I am, which is late 40's. Yes, my point is that in your older years skin fades, hair color fades, eye line fades, lashes thin and if you did not wear sunscreen and are pale then you probably have wrinkles. "Wearing a little something" as you age helps balance out the aging process and keeps you feminine otherwise, IMO, most women of this demographic will start to look manly.
OMGoodness, what nonsense.
There are generations of women in my family as well as many others that have never fallen into the makeup fashion trap that were feminine until the day they died no matter what they wore.
You cannot put on feminity from a bottle, you either have it naturally or you don't and if you do have it you don't need any outside enhancement........
The ideas of some are astounding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty