Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
Lol, I went to a funeral somewhat recently where this very young woman wore a skintight, long-sleeved, very short, black minidress, with "**** me" pumps. She seriously looked like she was going out clubbing. lol And the funeral was for... her grandfather.

As to the OP, yep, it sounds like something is going on with this woman.
It strikes me that death and mourning used to be a much bigger part of life than it is now. Families are smaller and generally healthier than in decades past. I've been to exactly three funerals in the past thirty years, and my children haven't been to a funeral since they were preschoolers. People just don't have formal mourning clothes today. It wouldn't bother me if a young person showed up in jeans and a button-down. Frankly, I'd just be glad they showed up at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 05:10 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
@GiGi603 -

Did the guest of honor at the funeral complain about how people dressed???
She deserved the respect.

I used to tell my sons you wouldn't wear a suit to a baseball game as you should't wear your baseball jersey to a funeral.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:28 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It strikes me that death and mourning used to be a much bigger part of life than it is now. Families are smaller and generally healthier than in decades past. I've been to exactly three funerals in the past thirty years, and my children haven't been to a funeral since they were preschoolers. People just don't have formal mourning clothes today. It wouldn't bother me if a young person showed up in jeans and a button-down. Frankly, I'd just be glad they showed up at all.
Well, I just figure it's sort of like you do at weddings, more understated, not something that just screams, "Look at me!!!"

I went to another funeral located in a casual, out-of-the-way resort town. Most of them were very casual in dress, even the middle-aged and older people. But, again, the younger girls were wearing more sexy clothing, not just more casual. It's like they're dressing more for a party and they want to get noticed.

But I have a cousin in his early 50s. I don't think he owns a pair of long pants. We had a wedding in the family a while back. His idea of dressing up for it was a nicer pair of shorts and his shirt tucked in. lol We're all used to it. Like you said, most just seem to be glad he shows up.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
There is a wide gap between people who can, but choose not to, and those who own the clothes on their backs, and little else. I think the OP needs to spend some time volunteering. The group I work at provides free clothing to the truly needy, and there is never a shortage of people who need our services. Nor do I begrudge them. They are willing to wear donated clothes, and shoes that would have been tossed months before in the world most of us inhabit.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:58 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Well, if she's been wearing the same ill-fitting, worn-out clothing for days, then it comes to mind that she might not have anything else to wear. Maybe she's poor. Her house might have just burned down. She might have just gotten out of a domestic violence type of situation and left with nothing. She might be depressed or mentally ill. Who knows? I think if I saw that, I would probably feel sympathy for the woman, not judgement.

Old 08-07-2016, 06:03 PM

19,429 posts, read 15,244,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
She deserved the respect.

I used to tell my sons you wouldn't wear a suit to a baseball game as you should't wear your baseball jersey to a funeral.
Just something like a nicer top/shirt and pants in a more muted color is not that hard to come by.

This all reminds me of that scene in Moonstruck, when Danny Aiello's character is breaking off his engagement with Cher's character. He says, "In time, you will see that this is the best thing."

And she says, "In time, you'll drop dead and I'll come to your funeral in a red dress!" lol

Anyway, back on topic.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:21 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,685,511 times
I was taught to TREAT people how I'd want them to treat me, not DRESS

Old 08-07-2016, 08:25 PM

86 posts, read 82,769 times
Not everyone places how they dress on the same scale as you. My first guess is that is all she can afford. I think it is important to not make assumptions that people are lazy or have a mental illness. Fact is not everyone will fit into societies rules!

Old 08-07-2016, 09:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
She is probably homeless.
Hard to say. Sometimes it is hard to differentiate homeless from hipster. I see people with decent to even pretty well paid jobs wearing ratty clothes or worn out shoes out and about.

In our society, it is a lot less important to be "polished" in public. People wear workout clothes to work. I heard an ad today encouraging the creation of wear beachwear to work day.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:40 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~skywalker~ View Post
I'm not really fashion police, I like to wear comfortable things (mostly jeans, t-shirt and flip-flops).

But last week I saw a young woman in her 20s in our local supermarket. Wearing a faded, holey black t-shirt, some sort of pajama pants (totally worn out and falling off her) and a pair of totally trashed ballet flats.

Not only that it looked very tacky, it obviously wasn't exactly comfortable. She had to pull up her pants every few steps and was struggling keeping her broken shoes on her feet.

Saw her a few times now and she always wore the same "outfit" ...

Why do people dress like that? I can't understand it ...
She is probably too poor to afford anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty