U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:21 PM

4,598 posts, read 3,751,910 times

Advertisements

Laundry day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 11:33 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,814,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
So true, there are people who cannot afford to buy toilet paper!
Would you believe that?
For the longest in my late teens and early 20s, it seemed like I had to pick between paper towels and toilet paper. I somehow ended up with one or the other. If I ended up with only $5 to buy food with and knew I had paper towels at home, spending a whole $1 on toilet paper just wasn't an option...I'd tear the paper towels in pieces.

On the flip side, if I had TP, I DEFINITELY didn't think about buying paper towels.

[quote=pythonis;45075071]
Quote:
I've seen other girls walking up to cars at stop signs asking occupants for tampons.
That's awful. I think most women who are living poverty know how to make a "makeshift tampon," preferably somewhere other than home so that she doesn't have to waste precious toilet paper.

Been there, done that...

Oh yeah, and when I was 19, I had a boss who threatened to fire me because I had holes in my pants and holes in the bottoms of my shoes....I had to take my food money that week to buy new pants and shoes or couldn't work...they didn't have any black pants in my size at the Salvation Army, and the black shoes were $10!! I ended up getting a pair of black yoga pants (my work shirt was so long it covered my butt and half my thighs) from Walmart for $12 and a pair of black ballet flats for $4. It was so ironic because I was so hungry that week and worked in a restaurant around food all day, but we had to pay for what we ate. I ate some of the obviously-not-touched scraps off of my customers' plates in the dishroom, and the guy who washed the dishes told everyone how "nasty" I was....

Oh, memories, memories...

Old 08-09-2016, 11:33 PM

4,424 posts, read 5,209,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
Laundry day?
I stay home on laundry day. Clothes aren't going to pull themselves out of the machines.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:02 AM

65 posts, read 185,081 times
[quote=pythonis;45075071]
Quote:
I've seen other girls walking up to cars at stop signs asking occupants for tampons.
There are several organizations (or you can do it on your own) which take used purses, stock them with feminine hygiene products, toiletries, snacks, etc. & distribute to homeless women. If you're homeless while still in your fertile years (to euphemise), such things can be quite trying.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:13 AM

3,012 posts, read 1,814,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
In the thrift store around here, you can barely get a t-shirt for $2.99. Jeans are closer to $8-$10.
Yup, I found that, too. I could never find clothes in my size at thrift stores, or they were all horribly stretched out or faded for the same price as new stuff at Walmart. I could get a $2 or $3 shirt at Goodwill or Salvation Army that was pilling up or that had shrunk and was short and wide (always a problem with my long torso), or I could pay $2.88 for the brand new scoop neck or V-neck Ts at Walmart.

Jeans were $10 or $12 at Goodwill, and I never could find a modern pair that fit me, so I bought yoga pants and leggings (before they were cool) at Walmart for less.

I always bought either flip flops or ballet flats 'cause they were cheap. I always wore black ballet flats to work in at restaurants, even though it wasn't really safe because they were slippery on the bottom, but all the boss cared about was if I wore black pants and shoes. Black "Treadsafe" shoes were like $20 and ballet flats were $3-$5, so it was an easy choice for a then-broke me who needed food.

It's funny because I make...well...a lot more than I made then, and I still buy soooo many things at Walmart. Once I brought myself out of that situation, I was determined that I'd *never* buy Walmart clothes/shoes again...so I shopped all over the mall. HA.

Honestly, for fit, price and durability, I definitely prefer Walmart for my camis, scoopneck Ts, V-neck tees, socks, leggings, etc. Even their LEI jeans are good, especially for the price. I have Walmart stuff that has lasted me for 5-6 years, whereas stuff from American Eagle and the like wears out in one season. I certainly appreciate the value of buying "nicer" stuff from other stores, but for basics, Walmart is hard to beat in my mind.

Old 08-10-2016, 03:50 AM

68 posts, read 61,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielcollins View Post
Hi skywalker,
Every person has a different choice of wearing clothes. Might be he/she comfortable in that clothes.
Thanks!!
I don't think she is comfortable with those clothes.

Saw her again yesterday (wearing the same clothes) and it got even worse. Her right shoe was almost completely ripped open at the side. She really had problems keeping the shoe on while walking.

It was quite chilly and raining, she must have been cold dressed like this without a sweater or jacket (I was wearing a hoodie and was cold).

I feel sad about this. I was about to talk to her but I decided against it. Don't know what I should say to her, to be honest.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:21 AM

68 posts, read 61,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Oh yeah, and when I was 19, I had a boss who threatened to fire me because I had holes in my pants and holes in the bottoms of my shoes....I had to take my food money that week to buy new pants and shoes or couldn't work...they didn't have any black pants in my size at the Salvation Army, and the black shoes were $10!! I ended up getting a pair of black yoga pants (my work shirt was so long it covered my butt and half my thighs) from Walmart for $12 and a pair of black ballet flats for $4. It was so ironic because I was so hungry that week and worked in a restaurant around food all day, but we had to pay for what we ate. I ate some of the obviously-not-touched scraps off of my customers' plates in the dishroom, and the guy who washed the dishes told everyone how "nasty" I was....
That's sad ... As said I had seriously no idea that people would have to go through all this just to get pants or shoes with no holes. I really know people I would consider poor, but they all have more than enough clothes. Perhaps not brands and perhaps a bit worn out, but enough to dress decently if needed.

Sorry to hear that people are struggling with this. That should not be.

Old 08-10-2016, 06:47 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,209,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~skywalker~ View Post
That's sad ... As said I had seriously no idea that people would have to go through all this just to get pants or shoes with no holes. I really know people I would consider poor, but they all have more than enough clothes. Perhaps not brands and perhaps a bit worn out, but enough to dress decently if needed.

Sorry to hear that people are struggling with this. That should not be.
Talk to the store manager, let them know what's going on and see if they would be willing to intervene on your behalf. If she accepts then buy her what you will but if she freaks out or anything then keep your distance. In fact I'd say either way don't let her know where the charity is coming from as it COULD cause drama.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:22 AM

5,945 posts, read 6,751,495 times
Quote:
I went looking for boot cut jeans at the local Salvation Army and Savers and found lots of stained, very outdated and ripped clothing that would never be accepted in most work places. The prices were as high as the nicer consignment stores in my area.

I do better at Kohls department store out in my area. I've purchased nice things for below $5 many times on clearance.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:28 AM

987 posts, read 398,429 times
Quote:
Yup, I found that, too. I could never find clothes in my size at thrift stores, or they were all horribly stretched out or faded for the same price as new stuff at Walmart. I could get a $2 or $3 shirt at Goodwill or Salvation Army that was pilling up or that had shrunk and was short and wide (always a problem with my long torso), or I could pay $2.88 for the brand new scoop neck or V-neck Ts at Walmart.

Jeans were $10 or $12 at Goodwill, and I never could find a modern pair that fit me, so I bought yoga pants and leggings (before they were cool) at Walmart for less.

I always bought either flip flops or ballet flats 'cause they were cheap. I always wore black ballet flats to work in at restaurants, even though it wasn't really safe because they were slippery on the bottom, but all the boss cared about was if I wore black pants and shoes. Black "Treadsafe" shoes were like $20 and ballet flats were $3-$5, so it was an easy choice for a then-broke me who needed food.

It's funny because I make...well...a lot more than I made then, and I still buy soooo many things at Walmart. Once I brought myself out of that situation, I was determined that I'd *never* buy Walmart clothes/shoes again...so I shopped all over the mall. HA.

Honestly, for fit, price and durability, I definitely prefer Walmart for my camis, scoopneck Ts, V-neck tees, socks, leggings, etc. Even their LEI jeans are good, especially for the price. I have Walmart stuff that has lasted me for 5-6 years, whereas stuff from American Eagle and the like wears out in one season. I certainly appreciate the value of buying "nicer" stuff from other stores, but for basics, Walmart is hard to beat in my mind.
Great post, I totally agree. I've never found a piece of clothing at a thrift shop for the $2-3 I always hear about... it's minimum $7-8, and higher for things like jeans or dresses. When I was shopping for maternity clothes, many of those items were $15-$20! (at the thrift/consignment shop)

Also agree about WM and other big box stores... I have WM clothing items that have been remarkably durable, whereas items from presumably more high-end stores have fallen apart after a short time (and admittedly vice versa). I wish that price was a 100% reliable indicator of quality and durability, but IME it is not a sure thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or