Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 05:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My list, which I made up myself and applies only to me.

I'm too old to wear:

1. Tight pants
2. Very high heels
3. Raccoon eye makeup
4. Very red lipstick
5. Wacky nail polish colors
6. A bikini
7. Crop tops
8. Backless anything
9. Gladiator sandals
10. Short-shorts
11. Big plaids
12. Huge prints
13. Belted coats
14. Anything that exposes my upper arms
15, A push-up bra

I'm too young to wear:

16. Matchy pastel pants and tops
17. Nun's shoes
18. Seersucker anything
19. Clothing with symbols like little bees or sailboats embroidered on it
20. A sun-visor instead of a normal hat

I agree with everything except #15. The lower the girls go, the more push-up they will need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Written by a 22 year old woman most likely who will change her tune in a few years.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:44 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
I can get away with a lot of those those things because I look younger than my age I'm 36 so not old. I don't wear short shorts or crop tops. Not a fan of graphic t-shirts. I have no reason to wear a tiara and it's strange to wear one casually?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annebolsen View Post
20 Trends You're Too Old to Wear | Lifescript.com

What are your thoughts? Personally I feel that with most of those it's less that women are to "old" to wear them as it is it can be trashy as it is regardless of age/body type. But admittedly I am more conservative.

I know had they included thongs I'd say never even my husband hates them.
I agree with all of them except for outrageous socks (C'mon....!!) and scrunchies.

In Nova Scotia (where I visited this summer), the rage for some older women seems to be outrageous psychedelic socks paired with otherwise normal attire - Harmless!! Grannies got to have fun, too!

re scrunchies - I can see an older woman with a tasteful pony tail and a scrunchie (even a loud one) at the beach!

Old 08-09-2016, 07:59 AM

1,110 posts, read 896,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annebolsen View Post
20 Trends You're Too Old to Wear | Lifescript.com

What are your thoughts? Personally I feel that with most of those it's less that women are to "old" to wear them as it is it can be trashy as it is regardless of age/body type. But admittedly I am more conservative.

I know had they included thongs I'd say never even my husband hates them.
They left off one very important one - wearing flip flops to work! In Washington, DC, in the summer, young women (and some young men) wear flip flops to work.

Flip-Flops at Work: Millennials Finally Get What They Want | TIME.com

Nothing like gnarly toes to break your concentration at a meeting!

I must say that I have not seen Boomers in flip flops, though, in a work situation....

Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Written by a 22 year old woman most likely who will change her tune in a few years.
I'm quoting myself because I just googled the person who wrote the article and she's a 22 year old college student. ha

Edit: person below me found 25. Maybe I was reading an old bio.

Last edited by Mr_Geek; 08-09-2016 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-09-2016, 10:39 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,433,079 times
I Googled the the woman who wrote the article. She's 25 and rather matronly looking. I don't think she could pull off any of these looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
My grandmas wear powder blue seersucker tops with matching capris embroidered with bees.
LOL!

Old 08-09-2016, 10:59 AM

762 posts, read 610,984 times
After the stripper heels I skipped reading (interesting read but it takes too long to load for me when they do all those fricken slides).

I'm 31 and I admit I like to show cleavage and wear high heels. I spent the bulk of my teen years and nearly all of my 20s hating my body. As I got older, I actually did become more secure with how I look (I stopped weighing myself. That was a healthier option for me versus actually going on the scale but I'm not the norm with that). I'm also single, look much younger, and into younger men so the look helps lol.

I do agree that grown women look ridiculous in over the top denim and rompers though. Most rompers to me are a no no. Some I think can be pulled off if they are the rompers that don't actually look like rompers.

To me anyway it's not really about the age but more so if you are a mother (I'm going to get flack for that....). I think once you become a parent, you should actually dress more conservatively. Not saying you should look like a nun, but you should try to show your kids that your body is private and a temple. Reminds me of the mom in Mean Girls who dressed like her daughter and would say "I'm the cool mom." I don't know, even though I may show cleavage and whatnot, if I become a mom, I cannot see myself wearing miniskirts, crop tops, or bikinis especially if I ever have a daughter.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:27 AM

56 posts, read 46,962 times
Hm, I'm giving a big 'ole middle finger to the young author of this article. I probably look better in short shorts than she does :P

Old 08-09-2016, 11:40 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,103,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Fashion rules are generally stupid, and these are no exception. I've seen plenty of girls in their late teens who should have reconsidered wearing midriff baring shirts and shorts even though they are "age appropriate". And while I've never worn most of the clothing items mentioned, I absolutely would if I wanted to.
Count me in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty