Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Who really cares? We victimize ourselves trying to be young(er) and pretending we are not getting old. Feeling good is the key. Screw appearance and killing yourself exercising like a crazy person. Moderation. Positive thinking. Good companions. Good pet. The appearance thing is a matter of taste. I am past 70 and my wife is just behind me. Life is good and she does not have to turn off the lights to undress whereas I need a closet. Still, I enjoy life.
Beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 02:30 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
I think people tend to see what they want to see. Really it goes both ways.

Some men, and some women continue to look great into advanced ages, other do not. More often than not, general health combined with the level of care and maintenance they give their bodies over the years play a huge factor.

You cannot smoke, drink excessively, be a total couch potato, suffer a heart attack at 40 from terrible diet, and expect to look good at older ages.

Even when you do everything right, genetics and simple bad luck can cause health altering situations which take their toll. Yet, the people, men and women, who continue to look good are likely eating relatively well and working out to maintain a healthy body.

Old 08-09-2016, 02:33 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
My wife, very late 60s, never fails to stun my senses when she undresses. This old boy has nooooo interest in the younger women. Most of them do not come close to my girl. Lucky me.

Bygeorge, you're the kind of man every woman wants. Your wife is a very lucky woman.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:07 PM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Once you lose the glow, tours over. It is all about the glow

Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swgirl926 View Post
What do you guys think?

Based on what I have seen on Facebook, the women I went to school with look pretty good, whereas, sorry, the men look terrible. Many of them lost their hair and/or gained a lot of weight. Why does it seem that there is this myth that men look better when they get older, but not women? Why does it persist? I have talked to a number of 50+ women that have no interest dating men their own age because they just do not take care of themselves.

BTW, the comedian that uttered the phrase in the title is Patric O'Neal. He is dead and I am not. So there's that.
You should come here to Eugene. Everyone works out daily and shops for groceries in the health-food stores. The men and women are physically-fit and good-looking until a very advanced age. Then, they go quickly and leave behind beautiful bodies.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:59 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Objectively, there really isn't much difference.

But there is much more rigid perfectionism in terms of how women are expected to look -- having absolutely no flaws. Whereas when men have rough skin, big pores, wrinkles, mild sagging, a big nose, etc, it's overlooked and all that really matters is how well-groomed he keeps himself. In fact, flaws to a certain extent are positively viewed in men -- as a sign of 'character'. So being an attractive man is much more achievable at a higher age, whereas for women, you pretty much have to be jailbait in order to meet the impossibly strict standards of beauty.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Once you lose the glow, tours over. It is all about the glow
I thought it was all about that bass.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
You should come here to Eugene. Everyone works out daily and shops for groceries in the health-food stores. The men and women are physically-fit and good-looking until a very advanced age. Then, they go quickly and leave behind beautiful bodies.
They sound like pod people. Do they scream and chase obese outsiders?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo

Old 08-09-2016, 05:33 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
They sound like pod people. Do they scream and chase obese outsiders?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GEStsLJZhzo
There are skin-fold test checkpoints on the entry roads.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:35 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,908,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I still think older women have a "certain beauty" about them that defies the notions of youthfulness as the standard of female beauty. Maybe it's the fact, for some, of their beauty being connected to their "natural" ability to present themselves in ways that attract men, and then you see that they truly admire men, unlike the youth who mostly admire the image in the mirror. Do women age more gracefully, no, on average they don't, and neither do the men who fail to take care of themselves, but as it has been pointed out, men and women who DO take care of themselves look very well put together in a way that youth can't match.

I've seen some gorgeous women, who at seventy and older look absolutely stunning, great genes I guess, but then again I realize they look good for the fact that they dressed that day in a way that made them look fabulous, and that realization goes to show that presentation of oneself is what people see. One poster commented on the poorly dressed and out of shape people we see each day out in public, I guess they just don't care about looking good, and worse, some appear to look really bad and wear it as a badge of proud individuality.

We will always appear as a mirror of our ability to look as we want, health issues aside, most do want to look good in their old age, but it takes a mountain of will power to achieve that healthy, sexy demeanor. I'm like most men of seventy, overweight but not obese, I'm aware that my wife looks better than me at this point and she's three years older, we both work out three times a week and it is working, we are trimming up and feel much better, eat and drink in moderation, jeez, mom was right after all...
I just love your post and you sound like you are at a healthy point in your life regardless of natural aging. Kudos to you and your wife!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty