U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:31 PM

17,984 posts, read 9,875,337 times

Advertisements

My style changes slowly over the years--maybe a significant change every decade--but I'll stock up on clothing that fits that style.

Some things I buy lots of--for instance, if I like a particular style/color of argyle socks, I'll buy ten pairs and wear those for maybe five years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:49 PM

6,754 posts, read 3,369,761 times
If I really like it I often do buy multiples.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:03 PM

105 posts, read 70,708 times
I found a cute pair of red flats for fall. I liked them so much that I bought two pairs, because shoes look so good when they're brand new.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:24 PM

19,063 posts, read 10,093,838 times
Not every single color, but definitely 2 or 3 when it's something I like. And for standards like black pants, definitely multiples if I find something that fits right and is comfortable.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 PM

549 posts, read 408,497 times
I do this A LOT. Another poster mentioned up-thread often times by the time I realize I how much I love something, it's worn out and no longer available. Gives me the sadz.

Somewhat related story. I had been searching ebay for the past several YEARS trying to find a top I owned a decade ago. It was not an expensive top/brand but it was special to me- classy, flattering, elegant and just all around perfect. For work, for dates, whatever. One day I realized I no longer had it. To this day I can't figure out when, why, or how I got rid of it...it just doesn't compute. So I spent ages riffling through clothing racks at second hand shops and scrolling through eBay, knowing as time passed it would be less and less likely I'd ever find this blouse, period, much less in wearable condition, in my size. Lo and behold (superficial) miracles happen. Just one month ago I found it after digging around on Poshmark. My size. Brand new with tags. For $12. I am a huntress, and I had found my ultimate kill It makes me feel so incredibly pleased, to have been able to find this thing. Super lucky.

I am kind of a weirdo, but yeah, if something is affordable and classic and awesome and you will wear it out - buy doubles or triples (budget willing of course). I can't recall buying three of anything but I wouldn't rule it out lol.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 PM

5,945 posts, read 6,760,173 times
I can never find work out clothing I like, so when I found a long sleeve T that I could wear with jeans and yoga pants, I bought four of the same style and pattern in turquoise, purple, black, gray.

I'm also the proud owner of two jackets, the same style, different colors. Two long sleeve shirts same style, one pink, one turquoise.

Noone's accused me of wearing the same thing every day yet.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:29 PM

2,805 posts, read 2,521,260 times
Absolutely. I have done this since adulthood when my physical measurements have been consistent. I find it most efficient since I dislike shopping and usually find a way to maximize the spend.

I will usually buy:
Dress shoes in two colors (black and cordovan/ brown)
Shirts (dress and casual) in various shades of colors I wear often (and sometimes multiples if of especially durable quality). I also color code the shirts by three shades (blues, indigo purple / reds crimson / greens tans whites). It makes it easy to rotate daily wear variety.

Pants especially, since I've noticed over the years the quality of manufacture has declined, so, once I try on a pair in dressing room and find one I like, I buy at least two and up to five of different colors (usually navy, tan, black, brown / pine / loden green / gray) of same style so I have variety - same reason as shirts.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:00 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,425,656 times
Sadly not and I regret it when there is something I LOVE. Unfortunatley sometimes when I find something I really like, it costs too much to buy more than one.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:24 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,333,064 times
No because my fashion changes with my mood. Sometimes i might fall in love with an item and want many of the same thing but after few wears, sometimes even after first wear, i realize i don't like it as much.

Basically i don't trust myself to buy same thing several times

Old 08-10-2016, 07:04 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,948,162 times
I have at least 10 camisole tops from J.C. Penney's that I love. I even have more than one of the same color. I wear them by themselves when it's warm and underneath something when it's cooler. Did the same thing with a sleeveless top that you can wear with the V in the front or the scoop front from Dillards. Bought all three available colors. Ditto for shoes, I also have small, narrow feet so I find a pretty, comfortable shoe I will buy multiples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or