U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 12:40 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,071,928 times

Advertisements

I buy several pairs of the same sandals sometimes in the same color. I bought a really comfortable pair of white sandals recently and would have bought a second pair but they didn't have it in stock.

I wear lightweight turtlenecks a lot usually white & ivory. Kohl's carrys a great selection of colors I usually buy two or three at a time.
Also really like their Chaps cotton dress really comfortable I'm ready to buy another one, usually a solid color. Like their shorts there, too and buy several of the same color.
Really like Kohls especially for summer clothes, they have a lot of great basics.

Also, scarves I'll buy the same scarf in different colors/patterns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 02:25 PM

19,039 posts, read 12,606,588 times
Last fall, when I found jeans at Lands End that I liked, I did buy a total of four pair. Two in a washed denim, one in black and one in gray. The gray jeans did not perfom as well as did the denims. The denims stretch to my shape better and are more comfortable.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:40 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,251,351 times
This year I bought the IZOD Advantage Polo in six different colors. I initially bought it in Cradle Pink (a light soft shade of pink) and Absinthe Green (a medium-light shade of green). Later I bought one in Blue Radiance (a turquoise color), Tea Rose (a salmon color), Real Red (obviously red), and Dusted Peri (a blue-violet color).

I am such a fan of the Advantage Polo that I even bought some for friends and family. I bought one for my father in Blue Revival (a medium shade of blue) for Father's Day, one in Absinthe Green for my grandfather for Father's Day, two for my pastor (one in Cradle Pink for Father's Day and one in Real Red for his upcoming birthday this November), one in Cradle Pink for my older cousin in California for his birthday next month, and one in Peacoat (a navy blue color) for my younger cousin in Puerto Rico for this Christmas. I thought about buying one in Black for my uncle for Christmas as well, but he said he has a lot of clothes that he never wears.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:23 PM

73,098 posts, read 64,630,132 times
I had an odd experience when I found an item that was on clearance, and there were several in my size in colors that were perfect for me. So I got one in each color, and altogether, the 3 cost less than the original full price for one. A great deal. Strangely, as the salesperson was ringing up the purchase, she lectured me about how I should keep my purchases "need-based" (vs. what? whim-based? ), and seemed oddly disapproving of the purchase. WTH?! Isn't it her job to encourage sales? She was lecturing me as if I were a teenager going wild with my mother's credit card.

And this was at Nordstrom's! It's not the only time I've had an odd experience like that with the sales staff at a Nordy's.

If I find something that's a great fit, great color, and looks great, I might buy two, because fashions can change radically from one year to the next, and I can find myself years later wishing I still had a favorite piece after it's worn out, at a time when the stores are full of a style that's not flattering to me. It's not a bad idea as long as you don't do it too often. It can get expensive, obviously.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 PM

4,604 posts, read 3,768,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70's Music Girl View Post
I buy several pairs of the same sandals sometimes in the same color. I bought a really comfortable pair of white sandals recently and would have bought a second pair but they didn't have it in stock.

I wear lightweight turtlenecks a lot usually white & ivory. Kohl's carrys a great selection of colors I usually buy two or three at a time.
Also really like their Chaps cotton dress really comfortable I'm ready to buy another one, usually a solid color. Like their shorts there, too and buy several of the same color.
Really like Kohls especially for summer clothes, they have a lot of great basics.

Also, scarves I'll buy the same scarf in different colors/patterns.
Do socks count...

I have done this once...it was t-shirts because I liked the color and quality.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:17 PM

I thought of two other cases where I did this. I found some tee shirts printed in pretty florals at Kohls. The first one I bought was great, so I bought some more identical in style shirts, but with different prints. The outcome was not good. The shirts were not all made of the same stretchy fabric. So some shirts shrank and others did not. And the fit was was slightly off on some of the shirts, as well. I have put this down to different vendors doing the shirts, and Kohls not doing enough quality control. I don't buy much from Kohls now, because I don't trust the merch.

And, like another poster, I've been a big purchaser of polos, but from Lands End. During the last two summers I've bought several. Last year I bought four or five in several colors. I have to admit they have worn well, and I like the colors, but now I think I am wanting some regular tees for next summer. The Lands End knits are much more uniform than the tees that I bought from Kohls.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks. You've all made me feel like I'm not completely crazy----but.....there is a difference between one of an item of clothing in every available color and buying duplicates and triplicates of the same color. If I avail myself of this latest sale, I will have 3 black tops, 3 magenta, and 3 olive. That's the part that I know is a little crazy---but at $20 each original price I figure they won't last forever (and I am prone to getting stains on stuff). There's the risk that I won't even like them by next summer, but they are pretty classic and comfortable and fit well, so I guess I'll do it. I just have one cat in the interest of not becoming a crazy cat lady, but looks like I am on my way to be the crazy tunic-hoarding lady!
If the colors work for you, I don't see a problem unless you do this so often you have trouble finding storage space. I don't think you can ever have too many black things, especially if black is a basic for you. I am not as sold on the olive and magenta, as they are more trendy, and can go out of style. But if the colors are basic for you, then I personally don't see a problem.

Old 09-09-2016, 07:58 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,071,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I thought of two other cases where I did this. I found some tee shirts printed in pretty florals at Kohls. The first one I bought was great, so I bought some more identical in style shirts, but with different prints. The outcome was not good. The shirts were not all made of the same stretchy fabric. So some shirts shrank and others did not. And the fit was was slightly off on some of the shirts, as well. I have put this down to different vendors doing the shirts, and Kohls not doing enough quality control. I don't buy much from Kohls now, because I don't trust the merch.

And, like another poster, I've been a big purchaser of polos, but from Lands End. During the last two summers I've bought several. Last year I bought four or five in several colors. I have to admit they have worn well, and I like the colors, but now I think I am wanting some regular tees for next summer. The Lands End knits are much more uniform than the tees that I bought from Kohls.
That's a great point regarding Kohl's.

I bought a tank top there I really liked good quality and soft cotton.
So I though would buy a few more since it's such a great layering piece, however, when I went back I noticed the quality of fabric was cheap and scratchy.
It was their Sonoma brand, so I no longer buy this brand at Kohl's.

The turtlenecks I've been buying there for years are Croft & Barrow (which I think is Kohl's) the quality and softness has been consistent.

I guess they don't think shoppers notice ?!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,589,167 times
I owned/managed a shoe store a few decades back, and one customer who dropped in every year or so lived in a distant city. Twice she bought a CASE (12) of Romikas. I had two or three styles for women, with several colors of each. She said my price was lower and selection better than in her home town, and all she wore on her feet were Romikas.

For those who don't know what Romikas are, they're clogs, for both men and women. I still wear them as slippers around the house but will sometimes run to the store wearing them -- very, very comfortable with a closed-cell urethane sole. I wear them daily, and about 5 years ago replaced my first pair that lasted about 25 years. (No change in design!)

Last edited by WyoNewk; 09-09-2016 at 11:03 PM..

Old 09-09-2016, 11:05 PM

35,121 posts, read 38,008,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Thanks. You've all made me feel like I'm not completely crazy----but.....there is a difference between one of an item of clothing in every available color and buying duplicates and triplicates of the same color. If I avail myself of this latest sale, I will have 3 black tops, 3 magenta, and 3 olive. That's the part that I know is a little crazy---but at $20 each original price I figure they won't last forever (and I am prone to getting stains on stuff). There's the risk that I won't even like them by next summer, but they are pretty classic and comfortable and fit well, so I guess I'll do it. I just have one cat in the interest of not becoming a crazy cat lady, but looks like I am on my way to be the crazy tunic-hoarding lady!
I currently have one shirt and multiple capris that are my favorites, unfortunately the shirt is several years old and not available at all. The good news about this situation is a woman who lives about 2 miles from us who is a Tailor and for a small fee she will make me the shirt and capris in every color I want and she will make the sleeves 3/4 on some of them instead of the long sleeve I currently have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or