Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 04:30 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,131,639 times

Advertisements

Years ago I read that when you find an item of clothing you really like to buy one of every color! This may be questionable since not every color may be appealing or look good on us. But I've taken it to another letter, which may be a little insane.

Earlier this year I finally broke down and got a pair of compression capri leggings to wear to the gym instead of my ratty shorts. The second I put them on I asked them where they have been all my life. Just loved the look and feel, so now I wear them all the time outside the gym with a short dress/long tunic top over it. It can actually be difficult to find a tunic top that covers the rear end and extends a few inches/a foot or so below---that's where dresses can come in that would be too short to wear on their own, but do well over leggings.

Target has a sleeveless dress that I love the feel and fit of it. All of $20 and it looks like a $200 Eileen Fisher dress! So I got them in all the colors: black, olive, and magenta. Then they got reduced to $14, so I got three more in case the original ones got stretched out or stained. Now they are reduced to $10---would it be crazy to get three more? Will I need to join a support group for obsessive buying and fixation on an item of clothing?

Has anyone else bought more than one of the same item (not underwear!) to make sure they will always have it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
I buy multiples of garments for my husband so I don't have to do laundry as often. One of my kids likes to have the same garment in many colors. She changes clothes several times a day because of her OCD and hadn't realized yet that if she had many of the same color, the frequent changes wouldn't be so obvious.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I often buy polos in bulk. If I find one I like I'll buy most of the colors. I hate shopping and trying to pick things out so I keep it simple.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:58 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
I've done it for years, especially with shoes. I have narrow feet, so when I find a shoe that stays on, BING! I also do it with pants.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:11 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,605,552 times
By the time I realize I really love a particular item it's usually too late to find duplicates! One exception was this pair of shoes I originally found at DSW a few years ago. Loved them immediately and totally wore them out within a year. I then found them at cut-rate prices on eBay and ordered two more of the same. I'm down to my last pair now.

Nosox Wino Sz 6 5 Womens Mesh Slip on Shoes Gray Mint Green | eBay

Old 08-09-2016, 10:15 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Yes, I do. DH wears tall Polo shirts, which only go on sale a couple times a year, so I'll buy a few colors. Likewise, if I find a very good fitting pair of shorts or pants, I'll likely buy a few colors. I just did this...bought 3 pairs of JJill percale shorts.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:13 AM

762 posts, read 610,746 times
I do LOL. At H&M they had the perfect basic, solid colored cardigans for like less than $10 each. I bought every color except the colors that wash me out. I do the same with skater style skirts (so comfy). I don't really wear clothing I find expensive (exception for me may be shoes) so if I do find stuff like that, I buy all the colors again I look good in.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:55 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,412,167 times
Right now I'm wearing a blouse that I have in 2 colors, and pants I have in 3 colors.

I am a slender pear, and have a very hard time finding clothes that fit. If I ever find something that works, and especially if it is a reasonable price and good enough quality I can wear it to work, I will definitely buy multiples.

I have a pair of Amazing winter booties that I love so much I snatched up an identical pair at the end of last season. So that's tucked away for when I need it.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
I have several pairs of walking shoes in several different colors so I can be comfortable no matter what color I am dressed in on a particular day. I have them in natural, black, blue, white and gray.

I have five pairs of Capri's in red, black, white, navy and natural. We buy vacation shirts every place we travel. These Capri's, the vacation shirts and the walking shoes are like my daily leisure uniform.

I have two pairs of sandals for dress ware. One is black and the other is brown. I wish I had them in red, navy and white too but I don't think they come in those colors.

Last year I bought two tank top dresses, one flowered and one paisley print, with sweaters to match in mint and coral. Dress design are both the same. Mint sweater goes with paisley and coral goes with tropical flowers.

I found a week ender foursome of skirt, Capri's, a solid and a white striped shirt in Quacker Factory that has different symbols for each color.
Coral has lily of the valley embroidery, Yellow has flipflops, navy has captain's wheel, green has dolphin. I wear the pants more than the skirts but at the price I paid, that's O. K. I sometimes take the extra shirts that go with the skirts on vacation and use them with the Capri's I mentioned before. There were other colors but I have found the cotton clothes do not last as long in darker colors because they fade and don't look fresh any longer.

Last edited by NCN; 08-09-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 08-09-2016, 01:01 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,131,639 times
Thanks. You've all made me feel like I'm not completely crazy----but.....there is a difference between one of an item of clothing in every available color and buying duplicates and triplicates of the same color. If I avail myself of this latest sale, I will have 3 black tops, 3 magenta, and 3 olive. That's the part that I know is a little crazy---but at $20 each original price I figure they won't last forever (and I am prone to getting stains on stuff). There's the risk that I won't even like them by next summer, but they are pretty classic and comfortable and fit well, so I guess I'll do it. I just have one cat in the interest of not becoming a crazy cat lady, but looks like I am on my way to be the crazy tunic-hoarding lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty